- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry it took so long for the update...but here is Chapter 2. Thanks for all the feedback on 1! You guys are my inspiration to get another chapter out! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter Two

 

    “Brian, could I talk to you for a moment?”

 

    Brian sighed, stepping aside to let the rest of the class exit the room before he went to Mr. Richardson’s desk. He got a few sneers and discrete kicks in the shins from classmates and he tried hard not to let it show that it got to him. Finally, the last of his peers was gone, and Mr. Richardson shut the door behind them. Suddenly, Brian started to feel nervous. Why would his history teacher want him to stay? It could only mean one thing…

 

    “Please, take a seat.”

 

    Brian did as he was told, his heart hammering in his chest. It wasn’t that he was afraid of Mr. Richardson. He was his favorite teacher, by far. The thing was, the class already thought of him as being a teachers pet and thought that the man went out of his way to be extra kind towards the loner solely because he felt sorry for him.  Therefore, Brian tried to avoid any extra, unnecessary interaction with him. To him, it would make life a whole lot easier…until now.

 

    “How are you doing, Brian?”

 

    “Alright, I guess.” Brian lied, fidgeting slightly with the pencil he held within his fingers.

 

    “Are you sure?” Mr. Richardson pressed, concern in his green eyes, “You were late this-morning, which you never are, and well…” he nodded towards the disaster that had dried to Brian’s shirt.

 

    “Oh...that.” with a shrug, Brian felt sick to his stomach all over again. Howard had promised to loan him a spare set of clothes for the day after this period. He’d lost his chance of looking somewhat normal for the day. Suddenly, Brian felt a slight resentment towards his teacher for only a second before reminding himself that the man had no way of knowing what was going on. Not unless he clued him in on it, which wasn’t going to happen, “It’s nothing…just had an accident on my way here this morning.”

 

    “Maybe Alex has something you could wear?”

 

    Brian snorted. Alex was his younger brother, by one year, and far cooler than he could ever even dream of being. Everybody loved Alex, and very few even knew that they were related. His brother made if very clear that nobody was to know. Ever.  Alex as a part of the baseball team, soccer team,  in the drama club, as well as choir. He got his name out there and even the senior girls had a crush on him. Women that could pass as supermodels due to their flawless looks and perfect bodies. People knowing that the two were brothers could only do one of two things. It could hurt Alex’s reputation or help Brian’s. Alex wasn’t willing to risk his own at the chance of helping out Brian. That’s just how it was.

 

    “Doubtful.” Was all Brian replied with miserably, not mentioning the fact that although they were similar in height, Alex was on the extremely thin side and he was, well, of a ‘healthier’ size. Not fat by far, just not Alex, “What’s the real reason you wanted to talk to me, Mr. Richardson?”

 

    “Honestly, chess club starts up in two days and I noticed you hadn’t signed up to be on the team this year. You’ve been on it since you were a freshman at this school, and one of the stars. I was wondering if you missed the deadline. If it was a mistake, I’m sure we can work something out so you could…”

 

  “It was no mistake, Mr. Richardson,” Brian managed to interrupt, ‘Everybody knows chess team is for dorks and losers. Being on it won’t exactly help me out any.”

 

    “It will be a chance for you to interact with your friends…”

 

    Brian snorted, “Some friends…” he muttered, not mentioning that even they picked on him, “I understand you’re trying to help…really, I do…but I don’t need it. I’ve managed this far on my own. I can get by.”

 

    “Very well,” Mr. Richardson smiled sympathetically again at Brian as he stood up, struggling to swing his too heavy backpack over his shoulder, “If you change your mind, you know where to find me.”

 

    Brian nodded his thanks, avoiding any type of direct eye contact with his teacher as he made his way out of the room and to his next class without a late excuse that Mr. Richardson had been reaching out to hand him. Although he knew Mr. Richardson was only trying to be kind and help him out, Brian at that moment hated his teacher for meddling and reminding him of how much of a misfit he really was. Once more, he wished that he could trade places with Alex, having a taste of what it would be like to be cool. To be wanted. To be loved.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    “Hey, Brian! Wait up!”

 

    Brian tensed as he started to walk faster, not turning around to see who his predator was. Any lost time could mean extra pain for him. The day was only half over, lunch just ending, and he’d gotten away with just a few elbows into him in passing and a couple of kicks in the shin so far. It had been a good day. He wanted to keep it that way.

 

    “Brian…wait!” the voice called again, his footsteps picking up quickly behind Brian, “Slow down.” The male sounded almost desperate to get to him.

 

    Breathing heavily, Brian picked up pace even more into a half jog, half walk. He wasn’t quick enough though, for the male who’d been after him put his hand on Brian’s shoulder firmly enough to stop him. When the male spun him around, Brian just squeezed his eyes shut, ready to take the blow he figured was coming his way.

 

    “Bri…relax…it’s me. I’m not going to hurt you.” The male sounded friendly, a slight laugh in his voice.

 

    Slowly, Brian opened his eyes one by one, relieved to see Howard standing before him. Suddenly though, he felt foolish for running from the one person who’d always been kind towards him.

 

    “Here…you never met me after first period to get these.” He handed a bag out to Brian that contained a pair of jeans and a polo shirt.

 

    ‘Thank you,” Brian blushed, taking the bag in shame, “I um…I owe you.”

 

    “Don’t worry about it,” Howard promised, “So, are you ready for that history test? I hear its supposed to be killer.”

 

    “I guess so…” Brian muttered, “I haven’t studied much. I probably should tonight.”

 

    “Same here. Between working and class, I can barely keep a B average.” Howard laughed, and Brian smiled politely, “So, do you want to come over after school and study since the test is tomorrow. It’s our last chance.”

 

    Brian got an image of him going over to Howard’s house, having the entire volleyball team there to pound his ass into the ground. Deep down, he knew the gentle man would never do anything to cause him harm. He was still paranoid however, of a set up. Being skeptical of everything was what got him through. Before he could respond, a few classmates made comments to Howard about interacting with himself, which Howard ignored completely, brushing them off by turning his back towards them.

 

    “No…I wouldn’t want to impose.”

 

    “None at all,” Howard insisted, “I have to study anyways, and my girlfriend is out of town this week.” He mentioned his college girlfriend,Heather, “Meet me after school in the parking lot and you can follow me over to my house, okay?”

 

    Brian just nodded, unable to refuse the offer again. It had been years since he’d had any type of social outing, and even if it was just to study, Brian was looking forward to it. Howard pat him on the shoulder as he started heading to his next class, leaving Brian to stand there alone again wondering what had just happened. Although it was just one small gesture out of kindness, he wondered if this was what it was like to have a friend.