- Text Size +

Chapter Three

 

    “I don’t know about you, but I could sure use a study break.” Howard stated, closing his history text, a pencil in the binding to use as a place holder, “You up for a snack?”

 

    Brian looked up distractedly, “Um, yeah, sure…” his voice trailed off as he stood up, stretching his stiff joints from the past 3 hours of tedious working, hunched over a book and notes.

 

   Pulling out a bag of chips from under his bed, Howard opened it up, throwing it in between them. Reaching under his bed again, he pulled out two cans of Sprite, rolling one in Brian’s direction as he popped the tab on the other, taking a long sip of the warm soda. For a long moment, Brian just stared, unsure of what to do.

 

    “Dig in,” Howard instructed, grabbing a handful of chips, stuffing them into his mouth.

 

    Opening his own can, Brian took a drink timidly. Without knowing if he was supposed to, he reached into the bag of chips, taking a couple out. It was one of the first times in years that he’d been invited to do something, and most of the time, that resulted in him being public joke and humiliation.

 

    “So I was thinking of having Alex come over after we study to hang with us,” Howard mentioned, “We could play some ball or something.”

 

    Brian’s eyes grew wide in terror, knowing he couldn’t tell Howard who to invite over and who he couldn’t. The one thing he had in his mind though was bolting before the other male arrived, giving him a chance to free himself from the ridicule and bullying that would come his way. If it were to be just himself and Howard, he would be willing to make a fool of himself, beings he was the most uncoordinated person ever to grace the planet. He knew Howard wouldn’t make fun of him. If Alex came over, it would turn into a blood bath, ending in him curled in a bleeding ball shielding himself from kicks and punches.

 

    “Alex is a great guy…I think you two would get along really well. I know he’s a couple of years younger than us, but he’s pretty cool.”

 

    “He’s an ass.” Brian muttered.

 

    “Excuse me?”

 

    “Alex…he’s cruel. I know he’s your best friend and all…”

 

    “Yeah…” Howard looked confused now, “Bri, you are not making any sense at all.”

 

    Brian didn’t speak at first, afraid he’d insulted the only person who had ever given him a chance. He then cursed himself for not having enough confidence to know that if Howard were going to turn his back on him, that it would have happened long before this. The thing was, Brian had no self esteem at all, and he knew that. Instead of bowing his head and ducking away like a coward though, he held his head high, staring Howard right in the eyes.

 

    “Why are you friends with him?” he asked, his voice coming out meeker than he would have liked, “Why do you hang out with him?”

 

    “I don’t know…we get along pretty well. We worked together last summer…I really think you two would get along also. He’s not a judgmental creep like the rest of the school. I mean, sure, he’s a jock…but…”

 

    “He’s worse than the rest of the school.” Brian interrupted, his voice coming out firm and strong.

 

   “Okay…” Howard let his voice trail off, “How would you know if you don’t give him a chance?”

 

    “I’ve given him plenty of chance.”

 

    “How so?” Howard questioned, wanting to get to the bottom of Brian’s sudden strange behavior. The usually even tempered man was starting to get defensive rather quickly, worrying the peacemaker, who was only trying to help.

 

    Brian didn’t answer at first, knowing he owed Howard an explanation for this strange behavior. At the same time though, he didn’t appreciate being drilled for answers that he didn’t know if he should be answering or not.

 

    “Tell me something,” Howard asked, breaking Brian’s concentrations, “Your whole life, people have judged you without getting to know you. Aren’t you doing the same thing to Alex?”

 

     “No, because I know how he is. I know him better than the anybody else.”

 

    “How?”

 

    “I cant….I’ve sworn I wouldn’t tell anybody.”

 

    “What?”

 

    Brian paused, sensing that Howard was getting impatient with him very quickly. If Howard and Alex were as good of friends as he thought they were, then Brian knew for a fact that Alex would find out that the secret had been spilled. He looked away, contemplating on whether or not he should tell Howard the information on why he knew Alex better than anybody else and how his best friend was also Brian’s worse enemy. Apparently, he took too long in deciding though, for Howard spoke up with a great irritation in his voice.

 

    “You know what…whatever. Make your assumptions.” Howard dismissed the subject, “Let’s just get back to studying for this test.”

   

    Suddenly, Brian’s heart rate started to speed up, knowing he was risking having Howard pissed off at him. Images of his classmate making him give him his clothes back and making him drive home in nothing but his boxers came to mind. Knowing he couldn’t risk that kind of humiliation, Brian blurted out the secret he’d been forced to keep since the fourth grade.

 

    “Alex is my brother.”

 

   Howard looked up, the expression on his face saying that he’d had no idea. And for some reason, Brian felt better even though he knew that this would change everything. For once though, somebody knew and understand just why he was so fearful of the wonderful Alex.

 

   “Alex is your brother?”

 

    “Half brother…” Brian muttered, the words coming out in one breath. This was another secret he held.

 

    “Half brother?”

 

    Brian nodded, “His mother died…my father cheated on my mom with this Latin woman, who was heavy into drugs. She was an illegal immigrant. Anyways, she died of an overdose and that’s how my mom found out about his infidelity. They went through some counseling and decided together to raise Alex along with me. He was only a year old when he came in. I was three.

 

    “That explains why he looks different…” Howard murmured, “I mean, I know you have the same last name…but it’s a very common last name. I never even thought about it.”

 

    Brian nodded again, “Nobody knows. He’s made me swear I wouldn’t tell anybody, afraid I would ruin his reputation.”

 

    Howard was silent for a long moment. Everything was finally starting to make sense now. Unexpectedly, he was also starting to regret being such good friend with somebody who made Brian feel less than worthy. Images in his mind disturbed him, imagining all of the physical abuse that Brian endured as a result of Alex. He didn’t know if it would do any good, but Howard knew he had to try to stop this.

 

    “Please don’t say anything.” Brian almost pleaded.

 

    “Yeah…I won’t.” Howard promised blankly.

 

    He already knew though that he would be breaking this promise. What he didn’t know what how much worse things would get for Brian as a result of it.