- Text Size +

Chapter Four

Howard stared at Alex as his friend pulled a stack of books from his locker, stuffing them into his backpack. He heard the words that the man was saying, but wasn’t truly listening. The only thing racing through his mind were the words Brian had told him two nights before. In fact, every time he had hung out with or talked to his best friend since the confession, it was all Howard could think about. He wondered just what went on between the brothers when nobody was there to witness it. He wondered what kind of bruises and scars, both emotional and physical, that Brian felt forced to hide from the world. More yet, he wondered just what Alex had threatened if his brother told the secret of them being related.

“Are you even listening to me?”

Howard looked blankly at Alex, his thoughts interrupted. He couldn’t recall one thing that his friend had just said, but was afraid to admit this to him.

“Of course.”

“Right…” Alex rolled his eyes, “Then what was I just talking about?”

“Uhhh…” Howard quickly tried to think of any sort of words that would save him, but came up short with nothing more than a shrug to offer.

 

“What the heck is with you today? I’ve never seen you so…out of it.”

 

Howard swallowed a hard lump that had formed in his throat, unsure of how to go about this conversation. He could see how terrified Brian was of his younger brother, knowing that he had to go about the situation delicately. Over the past days, he’d wracked his brain for the best possible way to bring the topic up, not one thing seeming good enough or cautious enough. Knowing something had to be done though, Howard took in a deep breath, just saying the first thing that came to his mind.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything about Brian being your brother?”

 

Howard winced when he saw all of the color drain from Alex’s face. It was soon replaced though with a full color of fury as the man’s eyes narrowed and he dropped his backpack, fists already balled at his sides, his breathing becoming heavier and more pronounced.

 

What?

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that Brian…”

 

“Shut up,” Alex barked, looking around frantically to make sure nobody nearby could pick up on the conversation, “Don’t go announcing that crap. How the hell did you find out?”

 

‘That’s not important…” Howard tried, knowing immediately that he had made a mistake of even bringing the topic up, butting into business that wasn’t his.

 

He told you, didn’t he?” Alex raged, his fury growing by the second, “I’m going to kill the little…”

 

Why does it matter so much if anybody knows?” Howard interrupted

 

“Because he is a social retard,” Alex heaved out, “He’s a loser. If you haven’t noticed, we’re in a much higher social circle and are popular and liked. If people knew…do you know what that would do to me and my reputations?”

 

‘Who cares,” Howard rolled his eyes.

 

“I do…and you should too,” Alex grumbled, “I know you hang out with the freak. Do you know what it’s doing to your reputation? Mine can still be saved…but I’m afraid for you, its going to be too late if you don’t straighten your act up and remember which social…caliber you are in.”

 

“Again, who cares?” Howard challenged Alex, “Do you really think that anybody is going to care about what we were or who we were in high school?” he didn’t wait for a response, “You may not know this yet, but once we are done here, in the real world, nobody really cares, and the ones who think that people still do, are the ones who fail in the end.”

 

“Whatever,” Alex grumbled, standing his ground, “Losers like that…thing…need to know where they stand. They are nobody. Brian is a nobody.”

 

“He’s your brother,” Howard defended, “And whether you like it or not…he always will be.”

 

Alex rolled his eyes, anger still surging through his veins, his fists still balled up as if he were ready to take a swing at something. Howard didn’t know what the other man was thinking, or if he really even wanted to know.

 

“If you tell anybody, I swear I will beat you just as bad as I do him for telling.”

 

Howard just shook his head sadly, seeing a whole new side to the person he had once called his best friend. He didn’t like the side, wishing he’d had more faith in Brian, believing his accusatory words over his own doubts that the man had only been saying the things he did to get some sort of attention. He could now see very clearly though, that every word the loner had said was true, and it sickened him.

 

“I should have known better than to call you a friend. Brian was right. You’re pathetic.”

 

Once more, Alex’s eyes narrowed as his mouth twisted into an expression of rage. He brought his fist up, making contact with Howard’s face in one good punch that sent him plummeting to the ground in pain.

 

“If you go telling on me, I swear, I will make you pay.” Alex seethed, giving Howard a hard kick in the gut.

 

Standing to stare for only a moment with a smug expression written in his features, Alex walked away, leaving Howard a bloody mess on the ground, clutching his stomach and groaning in pain.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As he stared at his reflection in the mirror, Howard sighed. His face burned in extreme pain, his eye and mouth already starting to swell. A nice array of black and blue were beginning to decorate his eye, and now dried blood crusted around his mouth. Shaking his head sadly, Howard let out a bitter laugh.

 

“I try to do something right, and this is what I get.”

 

He snorted at the irony of it all. He didn’t hold a grudge against Brian at all for his brothers’ violent reaction. He didn’t even regret the confrontation, for it let him see the true colors of Alex Thompson. More so, he now knew a fraction of what Brian went through, likely on a daily basis. All Howard could do though, was shake his head sadly. He had been put in a tough position. If he went to the head of the school, the most that would happen to Alex was maybe a weeks suspension, if he could prove that the man had been the attacker. Were the threats Alex had promised really worth it when a slap on the wrist would be the justice of the punishment?

 

“Please don’t let him hurt Brian too much…” Howard pleaded aloud.

 

“Don’t let who hurt me?”

 

Howard whipped around to see Brian standing within the shadows of the dimly lit bathroom. The way he was hunched over, with his head hanging low made him look so timid that it almost broke Howard’s heart for the guy. He now understood though why Brian had pleaded with him not to say anything to Alex, knowing he had betrayed a very unique trust that Brian had in him, not knowing if it would ever be replaced again. Guilt suddenly overcame Howard as he realized that he would have to be truthful with Brian. He at least owed him that much.

 

“Alex…” Howard admitted with only a moments hesitation, and he saw Brian’s bright blue eyes widen in fear and questioning, “I…I’m sorry, but I…” Howard swallowed, not able to speak aloud his words of disloyalty.

 

“What?”

 

Howard didn’t speak at first. He didn’t know how to, for he knew that he was the only person in the world that Brian even somewhat trusted. He wanted to remain that friend, because everybody needed at least somebody. So with a large sigh of regret, it was Howard’s turn to duck his head low in shame for the confession he felt compelled to admit.

 

“I asked him about what you told me…” he swallowed, “About why he never mentioned you two being brothers.”

 

“Why?”

 

Howard looked up, expecting to be yelled at. He felt he deserved to be yelled at, the calm reaction taking him by surprise. Then again, it was Brian. He realized that the kid probably didn’t know how to defend himself and had not the confidence to do so anyways.

 

“I thought…I thought that it would make a difference,” Howard explained, “I thought I could stop him from doing…whatever he does.”

 

Brian looked terrified, like a deer caught in headlights unable to move. He was paralyzed in fear, not knowing which way to turn next. There were no safe roads. Only dead ends that would eventually lead him to something worse than the previous path.

 

“It will only make things worse,” Brian cried out, “I…I told you that.”

 

“I know that now,” Howard sighed, “Anyways, we’re not on speaking terms right any longer.”

 

This took Brian by surprise, but then a knowing look came over his face, causing his features to soften the slightest bit as he let his guard down.

 

“Did he do that to you?” Howard just nodded his head, “Why?”

 

“For standing up for you. I told him that he was pathetic.” Howard shrugged, “Soon, the whole school will realize it.”

 

Brian didn’t hear the last part though, for it was the first few words that stuck in his head, “You stood up for me?” Howard nodded his head again, “Thank you.”

 

All Howard could do was offer a friendly smile, seeing just how delicate Brian was. He needed to be handled with care, and brought to realize that not all of the world was bad. Nothing would change overnight though, and even Howard knew that he couldn’t make a difference alone.