- Text Size +

Chapter Seven   

 

    “How did your date go?”

 

    It was six days later, and Brian had gone from being on cloud nine to down on his luck about his date with Kristal. When she’d kissed him, his spirits had been so high, and he’d been sure that he would be hearing from her that very next day. Nearly a week had passed though, and now, he was confident that the date was a one time deal, and the kiss had been out of nothing more than pity.

 

    With a shrug, Brian kept his eyes low on his hands, worried that if he looked up, he would break down completely. His heart felt as if it had been trampled upon, a mocking victory dance  with every been letting him know that he had once again been shot down.

 

    “Bri?”

 

    “It went fine.” Brian responded automatically, wincing at the pitifulness in his tone.

 

    “Fine?”

 

    “Yeah…I thought so…but I haven’t exactly talked to her since.”

 

    Howard couldn’t help but roll his eyes, the response coming without him realizing it. He knew that Brian’s confidence was low, but to this extreme?  For the first three days after the date, Brian’s confidence seemed to be at an all time high, but then it peaked, and slowly came back down until he was underneath the shell he’d built around himself long ago. Thinking for a moment, Howard sighed.

 

    “Do you have her number?”

 

    “Yeah…” Brian muttered, letting his tone trail off, an invitation for Howard to continue on.

 

    “Why don’t you call her? I mean, she gave it to you for a reason.”

 

    Brian looked horrified at the suggestion, “And make me look pathetic?” he shook his head roughly from side to side, reminding Howard of a kid who didn’t want to eat his vegetables.

 

    “Well, how did the date go?” Howard tried again, wishing he’d gotten more details out of Heather when he’d spoken to her earlier in the week as to whether Kristal had even mentioned the outing. Then he could at least give Brian a little ray of hope.

 

    “Fine…” was Brian’s one word response.

 

    “No…I mean, what did you do? What happened?”

    “Well…she was late, which should have been my first clue that she wasn’t all that interested,” Brian began, “After that though, I thought things went okay. We talked about everything. At the end of dinner, she asked for my number…and kissed me…”

 

   “Well see…that’s a good sign.”

 

    “You think?”

 

    “Girl’s don’t kiss guys they have no interest in. Kristal’s in college. She’ll call when she gets a moment.”

 

    “I don’t know…”

 

    “What make’s you doubt her? I take it there is more to it?”

 

    Brian nodded, afraid to note his insecurities aloud. He didn’t want Howard to know much others influenced his own life. Nothing scared him more than the thought of losing his only friend. Of having the only person who gave him a chance turning their back on him because they realized what a loser he truly was. Nothing scared him more. Not even death.

 

    ‘Brian?”

 

    “Her brother goes to our school…or will. He starts after the weekend.”

 

    “What does that have to do with anything?”

 

    Brian hesitated, “He’s a jock….”

 

    “Oh…” Howard found himself saying, slowly understanding.

 

    “And he’s Alex’s age…a sophomore.”

 

    “Ohh…” Howard muttered, fully understanding what was worrying Brian so much, “Think of it his way…if she worth it, none of that will matter.”

 

    Brian snorted. He couldn’t believe his luck, or lack there of. He’d finally been on a date…with a normal, pretty girl…who he liked a lot. It figured that her brother and his would likely become friends. He didn’t even want to know what kind of rumors would get back to Kristal to make her stay as far away as she possibly could.

 

     “I guess.” Brian forced a smile.

 

    “Give it a few more days and then try giving her a call.” Howard gave Brian a pat on the back, “I wouldn’t worry yet about it.”

 

     Fighting back tears, all Brian could do was nod. It wasn’t like he was looking for a life partner out of Kristal. He’d only just met her. All he wanted was a fair chance and for her to want to get to know him out of interest, not sympathy.

 

    Closing his eyes, Brian wondered what it would be like to be popular. He wondered what it would be like to walk through the halls and have people smile and greet him rather than have random objects thrown in his direction and be knocked to the ground by a foot stuck out in his way just for him. He thought about what it would be like to be athletic and to have the town cheering him on as he scored for his team, or to be able to go to a school dance without sitting alone in the corner of the room, in the shadows, watching from afar. Most of all, he wondered what it would be like to be Howard. He could almost  see a clear image of it in his head. The only thing that fogged his vision was himself, battered and torn from years of abuse.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    As Alex walked down the hall with his head held high, he smirked. Ever since he’d broken his friendship with Howard, he felt free. Before, he’d felt like he had to compete for popularity with his friend, but now, he could put the older man in the same class as Brian. He could have the entire school turned on him in no time. The thought made him smile at the possibilities. He would make Howard wish he’d never befriended Brian. Now all he needed was a follower, to help him carry out this deed.

 

    Heading towards his locker to exchange books, Alex stopped short about fifteen feet away, witnessing a blonde kid he’d never seen before struggling with the lock of his locker. Eyes bulging out of his head, anger surged through his veins. Taking no more than four quick, long strides, Alex reached the kid, placed his hand on his shoulder and spun him around roughly, not caring that the other male was nearly double his size.

 

    “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

 

    “Getting in to my locker…got a problem with that?” the kid mouthed back.

 

    “Yeah…I do. This is my locker.”

 

    “No…four-ninety-six…see?” the kid shoved a piece of paper in Alex’s face merely an inch from his eyes, combination and all exposed.

 

    Alex could feel a cruel laugh rising from his stomach, “Are you in special ed or what?”

 

    “Are you?”

 

    “I don’t think so…but apparently you are. It takes a complete moron to not know how to count.”

 

    “Huh?”

 

    “This is locker four-sixty-nine, kid. Last I checked, four-ninety-six doesn’t come after four-sixty-eight.”

 

    The kid looked up in confusion, and then back down with the same tough looketched on his features as if he had nothing to be ashamed of, “First day…whatever man”

 

    “Didn’t they teach you to count at your old school?” Alex bumped the kid out of the way and turned his back to him as he twisted the combination, swinging the door open with ease. He exchanged a few books and slammed the door shut, turning to face the new one again, having to look up to meet his  eyes , “Can you not talk suddenly?”

 

    “Give it a rest, dude…it was a mistake.” The kid sneered, “Or don’t they make those where you come from?”

 

    Suddenly, the expression on Alex’s face changed and a grin broke out. Nobody had ever had the nerve to talk back to him like this kid had. He didn’t know if he was just plain stupid or was as fearless as himself. Either way, it were as if he’d been dropped in front of him from heaven. The match he’d been looking for to help in tormenting the school.

 

    “What’s your name, kid?”

 

    “Nick…you?” Nick was looking at him warily now.

 

    “Alex,” he thrust his hand out to shake Nick’s, “sophomore.”

 

    “Same.” Nick replied, “Ain’t you a little small for a sophomore?”

 

    Alex snorted, “Bad genes....” He looked up at Nick’s six foot two stature and large frame, “Ain’t you a little tall for a sophomore?”

 

    “Family full of giants.” Nick rolled his eyes, “Except my sister is a runt.” He must have seen the ideas running through Alex’s mind through his eyes because the next thing he warned was, “Don’t even think about it. She’s in college.”

 

    “Right…” Alex murmured, “Play any sports?” he asked, the true test to see if Nick were worthy of his friendship. In his eyes, if Nick played sports, it meant he could take care of himself and was tough. If he didn’t, it meant he was weak.

 

    “Football…you?”

 

    “Baseball and soccer.” Alex replied.

 

    “Nice.” Nick grinned at the fellow jock.

 

    Alex didn’t reply this time though. The only thoughts that were running through his own mind now were what Nick could do for his reputation. Nick was huge, towering over himself by a good seven inches with a husky build. And he’d proved that he had the attitude to help him get the job done. It didn’t even matter than he seemed a little slow. Just that there was a possible friendship in the making. Howard was out of the picture, but there was somebody now much better and stronger, that would strengthen the duo who could rule the school.

 

    Alex could see it now. Everybody would fear them. Their peers would do exactly as they said. And once and for all, together, they could get rid of his brother.