- Text Size +
“So what you’re trying to tell me is that the Backstreet Boys were more Millennium-tastic than NSYNC?” Mary said tossing a bag of chips into their overflowing cart.

“Of course Mare, think about it. The Backstreet Boys were all about the image, they had those great ‘deep’ songs. And just THINK about those outfits they had; they matched, but each had their own color, showing that each boy had a separate personality. Don’t even get me started on those music videos” Kim replied in a joking tone, “ Belting out those notes in the rain in ‘Quit Playing Games”, and anyone can dance with a chair in a warehouse was meant for me. However, I must say that Larger than Life was by far the best music video, whoever thought of the outerspace theme was just a pure genius”. She laughed at her own ridiculous as she loaded a couple 12-packs of soda onto the bottom of their cart.

“Now that you mention that, I totally agree” Mary said with a grin “The Backstreet Boys were the kings of the late 90’s early 2000’s”.


Was Nick hearing right? Were there really a couple of girls making fun of his boys, his family, his whole career in the next aisle over? All he wanted to do was buy some groceries for his empty kitchen. After months of touring he was finally home in Orlando and ready to settle down and just chill for a couple of months. He was about to turn down the next aisle when his curiosity got the better of him, he turned his cart around to keep listening to the conversation. He readjusted his hat and glasses and moved slowly down the aisle to keep up with the girls.

“You do realize we’re going to hell, right?” Kim laughed.

“Kimber, obviously, this has been known for a long time” Mary giggled back. “So you remember that parody boy bad MTV made waaaay back in the day, 2gether?”

“You, plus sign, me, equals sign, US!” Kim interpretively danced in the middle of the junk food aisle. She got a couple of strange stares and laughed it off. She often acted before she could really think out something, embarrassed was her middle name.

Mary rolled her eyes at her best friend “Well obviously you do remember, so, random thought here, you know how each of them were supposed to represent a stereotype within the boyband?”

“The heartthrob, the shy one, the cute one, the older brother and the bad boy?” Kim rattled off quickly.
Mary shot her an ‘are you kidding me look?’
“Sorry, you know me and my vast knowledge of useless information. I read too many Snapple caps and watch too much television. So sue me?”

“Anyways, back on topic, which Backstreet Boy was each one. Obviously Kevin was ‘the older brother’, AJ was the ‘badass’, Howie was ‘the shy one’, Brian was ‘the heartthrob’”

“and Nick was ‘the-super-cute-make-the-14-year-olds-faint-if-they-make-eye-contact-or-wave-in their-general-direction’” Kim finished.

“Please, don’t pretend you weren’t one of them Kim, all I’m saying is Valentine’s Day 2000, Pepsi Arena, I believe the a certain Backstreet Boy waved at you and you freaked out”

“NO! that’s not how it happened and you know it. And don’t pretend you weren’t jumping around either. I think a certain ‘badasses’ hip thrusts had you talking for weeks”

“Well, it’s true, I guess. Whatever, truce, the whole grocery store doesn’t need to know about our pop music obsessions” Mary replied.

“Thank god we are so much cooler now” Kim said with a joking smile.

“Pretty much the coolest ladies in all of Orlando, you know, other than the elderly ladies driving their buicks” Mary joked back.

In the next aisle over, Nick covered his mouth to stop from laughing. It turned into a strange cough/laugh that he hoped was convincing enough so he would not get noticed. He was starting to find this conversation really amusing. The way these two talked to each other was comedic. They followed each other’s prompts and tones; he wouldn’t be surprised to see that they were twins. The fact that they were discussing him was strange, it was interesting to hear what people had to say about him, he decided that they weren’t in fact making fun of him or the backstreet boys. They were just joking around about the past, apparently they known each other for a really long time, he figured they were sisters. Usually Nick tried to keep it quiet when he was out in public, especially without a body guard, but he figured that he was in a fairly empty grocery store and it would be ok to remove his disguise. He was in a really good mood and figured he may be able to put a smile on someone’s face

He pushed his cart around the corner to the aisle the girls were in. He removed his hat and glasses and walked over to their cart.

With a big grin on his face he looked at the girls and said “So would you rather I wave or make eye contact? That hip thrust really isn’t an option, I wouldn’t want one of those grannies in a buick to get frisky”

Kim and Mary turned at the same time.
“Holy” Kim started.
“shit” Mary finished.