- Text Size +
The girls were still in shock when they got home from the store. They unloaded their bags and brought them into the kitchen where Lila was eating cereal and reading the newspaper.

"Hey ladies" she said briefly glancing up from her paper. "How was was shopping?"

"Oh you know, the usual. We got all the stuff we needed for the party, most of it was on sale which was good. and oh yeah, WE MET NICK CARTER!" Kim exclaimed dropping her bags onto the counter.

Lila spoon fell out of her hand onto the floor. "SHUT UP, no you didn't. Is this like the time you 'met' Jordan Knight in college?"

“I SAW Jordan Knight, SAW HIM, but no, we totally met Nick Carter”

“Let me guess, your hands brushed as you reached for the same apple. Your eyes locked and it was love at first sight. Butterflies filled your stomach as you both nervously laughed at the predicament you were in. He said ‘no, you take it’ with a smile that melted your heart. You insisted upon him taking it but he was too much of a gentlemen.”

“You missed the part where they made sweet love on the floor of the produce department” Mary said with a grin.

“Oh yes, we are planning on naming our children Avacado and Carrot. The wedding is in November, I already have your bridesmaid dress picked out. It is this really great color, its somewhere between olive green and brown. It has big sleeves and is made of polyester” Kim said sarcastically.

“Sounds awesome, I hope I can wear a scrunchie in my hair” Lila said.

This is how most of the girls conversations went. Sarcasm and laughter always filled the friends’ house. They had known each other since the first day of middle school when they were in the same homeroom. They became inseparable in high school and lived with each other throughout college. Each of them went to a separate university in Boston and pursued their own dreams but they always came together. After graduation; the three of them moved down to Florida together. The all pursued and completed higher degrees, Kim was a CPA, Mary an elementary school teacher and Lila was a dental hygienist. Boyfriends and even a fiancé had come and gone in their lives but the girls remained a tight knit group.
In some ways, the girls were so similar it was almost scary, but in other ways they were like night and day. Kim was the shortest of the group at 5’2, her style was more classic with a hint of trendy when she felt necessary. She was a brand whore but knew how to wear clothes and make something work. She had dark brown wavy hair that landed in her mid back and haunting hazel eyes. Her Irish heritage had blessed her with freckles that made her look more youthful than she was. Lila and Kim always joked that Mary was an old woman stuck in a young woman’s body. Mary had a way of taking clothes that you would never expect someone her age to wear and make it look completely youthful. She favored florals and flowy shirts and dresses. She had a hippy-esque presence with a mouth that would make a sailor blush. It was a strange combination but it was Mary, her kind blue eyes and curly brown hair made captured people’s attention, whether it was her class of fourth graders or a man who saw her. Lila was absolutely beautiful, she was Persian with dark brown eyes and a black curly hair that she insisted upon straightening all the time. She was trendy and the most fashionable of all the girls. Boys wanted to be with her and girls wanted to be her.

“ANYWAYS” Kim said rolling her eyes “We invited him to our party on Saturday, it was completely embarrassing but, I think he might show up.”

“Ok, Kimber, we’ll see.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick was actually really excited about this party. It wasn’t very often he could hang out with people outside of the business. Sometimes the club scene was too much for him, he didn’t need more trashy girls throwing themselves on him. He was now officially in his late 20s, sleeping with a new girl every night hadn’t thrilled him in awhile.

The prospect of a house party was a little new to him too. He doubted this was a catered affair and probably didn’t have a five figure budget. He saw what was in the girls cart: chips, salsa, soda. Nothing spectacularly fancy and yet he knew it was bound to be fun. Kim and Mary were characters, their reactions to him were priceless. He chuckled to himself as he remembered their faces. He remembered that it was a themed party and began to think about his outfit. He knew what he had to do. He picked up his phone and dialed.

“Hello?”

“Hey J, it’s Nick”

“What’s up man?” AJ answered.

“Not much, how about you?”

“Nothing much, Brian’s over here, we’re just hanging out if you want to come over”

“Sounds good, I have to run home and put away my groceries, I have an idea to run past you later too” Nick said semi-slyly.

“oh god Nick, what is it this time?” AJ said.

Nick laughed “Just wait til I get over to your house man. You’ll be into it, I promise. See you in like 20 minutes”

Nick ran home, put away his groceries, and jumped back in his car. He wanted the guys to come with him to the party, he knew it would take a little work on his part to get them to agree. Especially because it was a theme party, but he had a plan, and he needed them to make it work.

Nick parked his car behind Brian’s, hopped out, and walked up to the door. He was at AJ’s so often he didn’t even knock anymore.

“Hey guys!” Nick called announcing his presence. He walked into AJ’s large kitchen where he saw two of his friends and band mates hanging out.

“What’s going on man?” Brian asked taking a sip of his drink.

“Forget that man, what is this brilliant idea of yours?” AJ said.

Nick grinned, he had known these two men for the majority of his life, they could read him like a book. He had been planning his moves in the car and was pretty sure he could convince the guys to come along with him.

“First let me start with, what are your plans for this weekend?” Nick said.

“Nothing definite yet, why?” AJ asked.

“I was just planning on catching up on some sleep” Brian said.

“Well,” Nick started “How do you feel about going to a party?”

“Sounds good to me, who’s hosting it and where?” Brian asked.

Nick pulled a slip of paper out of his pocket “Well, there names are Kim and Mary, and its looking like it at 38 Golden Ave.”

“A house party?” AJ said confusedly “Are you serious, and who are these girls?”

“I met them today at the grocery store. They are really chill girls, and they invited me and I figured, it’s a party, the more the merrier right?” Nick explained. “you guys still in?”

“The grocery store Nick? What’s next, match.com?” Brian laughed. “I mean, what’s one night though, I’ll go with you, be your wing man. These chicks better be hot.”

“Awesome. J, you in?”

“Why the fuck not. These ladies better not disappoint me Nickolas.” AJ answered.

“This is going to be fun I promise. I gotta run but I will talk to you guys later” Nick said turning to leave. “Oh its themed by the way. Think millennium boys, we are going to party like its 1999 again.”

“What the fuck?” AJ called after Nick. “What do you mean themed?”

It was too late though Nick had the front door opened already. He was going to tell the boys about their outfits a little later. In a time frame when they had no choice but to wear them…