- Text Size +
There were a lot of things that really bothered the crap out of Kevin.  Losing football games to rival teams, that disgusting broccoli dish that his mother always made, and being shoved around by his big brothers were just a few of them.

The girl whining his ears off in front of him was another one.  Amy, or The Brat, as he not-so-affectionately called her, was one of the most annoying girls he knew.  And he knew many.  At the age of sixteen, he’d realized that it didn’t take a genius to figure out that lots of girls were shallow and pathetic.  ‘Course, it hadn’t stopped him from getting lucky with Deanna Fitzgerald in the backseat of his beat up truck two weekends ago…but that was another story.

“Jeez, Amy, a guy could go deaf listening to you,” he said, finally cutting through her obnoxious complaining.

Amy tossed her hair over her shoulder and scowled at him.  “Oh, shut up, Kevin! I don’t know why you can’t be away from your precious car for one night, especially when I’ll pay you if you let me borrow it.”

“You’ll probably end up totaling it, you idiot,” he snarled back.  He pushed his hair off his forehead and wondered how long it would take his annoying neighbor to get off his back.  As if it wasn’t bad enough that he lived next door to her and had lots of classes with her, now he had to suffer through her pestering him.  “Man, if this is the way you plan on getting something out of a guy, you’re out of luck.  I think my ears are bleeding from your stupid voice.”

“Well, if you’d just give me your keys-” She began again.

“No! How many times do I have to tell you?” Kevin was ready to shove her out the door and be done with it.  “It’s my car, and I don’t have to give it to you if I don’t want to.  Besides, I’ve got plans.”

She lifted a brow.  “Oh, really? With who? Marsha Williams? Oh, wait, no, she was so last week, right? Who is it this week, Kevin? Emily Green? Lauren Hart?”

Her voice was drilling holes into his head, and he swore, any minute now, he expected groundhogs to pop out of them.  He was going to go nuts, especially because she was doing that thing where she wiggled her fingers a lot as she gestured.  Her hands were waving all over the place, and he wanted to just tie them behind her back and make them stay there.

“It’s none of your business, okay?” he finally cried, sick of her.  “You can’t have my car!”

“Well, I can’t have the backseat of your car, right? Isn’t that where you get, ahem, acquainted with your latest whore?” Amy’s eyes gleamed with malice.

“That’s it! That is so totally it!” Kevin grabbed her arm and started dragging her towards his front door.  “You are the most annoying, obnoxious person ever! I mean, seriously, I’m a patient guy, but you make me want to throw myself off a cliff or something just to get away from you and your voice.”

She tried to pull her arm out of his grip, but he kept a firm hold of her and, when they reached the front door, he pulled it open and shoved her out.

“Just leave me alone! Ask one of your friends or something, okay?” Kevin folded his arms over his chest and glared at her.

“But I helped you with your chemistry project,” Amy said after a few moments, her voice meeker than he’d ever heard.  “I thought you’d trade.”

When she looked up at him, Kevin saw the trace of tears in her eyes.  Suddenly, even though it wasn’t really her fault, he felt bad.  “Oh, come on, Amy.  Don’t cry.”

“I’m not crying, you pig!” Still, she swiped at her eyes and glared at him.  “You’re such a loser, Kevin. I don’t know why all the girls think you’re so cute and so nice and ‘such a gentleman.’ You’re so not.”

“The girls say that?” he asked, a smile curving his lips.

“Don’t worry, I tell them what you’re really like.” She smirked as her tears dried.  “Don’t want people going around getting the wrong idea about you, now, do we?”

Kevin rolled his eyes, his smile growing.  “Whatever.  You know you like having me as your neighbor.  You get all the attention from just living near me.”

“Oh, don’t flatter yourself, Kevy,” she answered in a sickly sweet voice.  “You’re not that important.”

“Whatever.” He studied her for a moment.  He’d grown up with her, and she was basically his sister.  Well, she was annoying enough anyway.  Letting out a long-suffering sigh, he gave in.  “Okay, fine.  Just this once, I’ll let you drive my baby.  But only because you helped me with that stupid molecule project.  Don’t ask me again.”

Amy squealed and launched herself at him, her arms squeezing him tight, sucking out all his air.  “You’re the best, Kevin! Thanks so much! I promise I’ll take good care of it.”

“Ame, you’re killing me.” He patted her shoulder until she let go.  “Jeez, I thought I’d die from that or something.” Reluctantly, he handed over his keys and couldn’t help but smile when she jumped up and down excitedly.  “Oh, yeah, and no sex in my car either, okay?”

“Sure, no problem!” She waved over her shoulder and darted off towards her house.  “Thanks, Kevin!”

Kevin shook his head and turned to go back into his own home.  Girls…can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em.