- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
For the 'Other' February challenge. Please let me know what you think!!!

    “Do you remember that show, Celebrity Deathmatch?”

 

    AJ stopped what he was doing looked up at Nick, raising one eyebrow in the air, Howie and Brian giving their random friend a bizarre look. They were used to their friend asking the most random things at the most random times, but this had to be one of the more…special…moments.

 

    “Nick, where the hell did that come from?”

 

    “Just answer my question…do you remember it.”

 

    “Yes…now answer mine…where the heck did that question come from?”

 

    Before Nick had the chance to answer, Brian piped up, finding this topic of conversation amusing. Especially since he remembered very distinctly that they had been on that show back when it still aired on MTV. They’d been on one of the earlier seasons, back when Boy Bands were a hot thing and they were all rivals trying to be the best of the best. It seemed like forever ago to them, actually remembering that their hit song back then had to have been either Everybody or I Want It That Way.

 

    “Didn’t N’SYNC kick the crap out of us?”

 

    “Come to think of it, they did!” Howie joined in, “I mean, they totally dismembered us.”

 

    “It’s no wonder they called you Diesel though, D…I mean, God…even after your head was torn off, you kept fighting. That just ain’t normal.” Brian laughed as he shook his head, “Man, that show was brutal…boxing to the death…”

 

    “We were little clay figurines turned into an animated show put on after kids went to bed…” AJ laughed, “I’m actually surprised the show lasted as long as it did,” suddenly, he got silent again, biting his lip. He was afraid to know the answer, but decided to ask anyways, just for the hell of it, “What, again, was the point of this conversation?”

 

    Nick grinned, proud that he finally was going to have his chance to speak. His chances to tell his ideas to the guys, who honestly did look terrified of what he was going to come up with next. The mind of Nick was not always an innocent place. In fact, it usually was somewhere along the lines of R rated.

 

    “Well, I was thinking…”

 

    “Oh God, somebody get him the Advil…” AJ cracked.

 

    “Haha…”  Nick rolled his eyes.

 

    “Nick, go on,” Brian gave AJ a stern look that told him to shut up. A look that usually was reserved for Kevin to give, back when he was still part of the group.

 

    “Thank you!”  Nick stuck out his tongue in the direction of his fellow band member.

 

    “Mature.” AJ snorted, “And you wonder why they call you the baby of the group.” He shook his head with a scowl.

 

    “Anyways,” Nick said loudly, causing all eyes to focus on him, “I think we should use that idea…the boxing idea…for our stage set up for the upcoming tour,” he paused, hoping it would give a dramatic effect, “Plus…we could have cardboard cut outs or inflatable dolls of all the bands who made fun of us in the ring with us and beat the hell out of them. Especially N’SYNC!”

 

    There was a long period of silence as the other three men tried to figure out if Nick was actually serious or not, unsure of how to take the suggestion. When they saw the smile on the youngest ones face though, with the shine in his eyes and expectant look, they knew that he was in fact not joking around in the least bit with them. The more they thought about it though, the more the suggestion didn’t seem half bad.

 

    “I like the concept…without the violence of beating, of course.” Brian stated thoughtfully, “After all, there will be a decent amount of children in the audience.”

 

    “So you like the idea?” Nick asked with excitement in his voice, reminding them all of a ten year old at an amusement park for the first time ever.

 

    “Its open for discussion, I think.” AJ agreed.

 

    “Really!” there it was again, that innocence that made it so hard to ever be mad at the boy or be too hard on him.

 

    “Yes, really.” Brian laughed.

 

    The smile on Nick’s face grew so wide that the others were convinced a tow truck couldn’t even pull the smile off of it. His idea had potential, and that in itself was enough for him to want to record them saying that so he could replay it over and over again, just for the proof that for once, he had a good idea.

 

    “Nick, just one thing…” came AJ’s voice, breaking Nick of his dazed thoughts.

 

    “And what’s that?” he asked with the smile still plastered on, still on could nine that his idea was a definite possibility.

 

    “No inflatable N’SYNC dolls.” AJ shuddered, “Those guys scare the crap out of me.”