- Text Size +
Brian's knees hit the dock the moment the sound of the Hummer hitting the water resounded. Howie's eyes were wide with disbelief; Kevin's jaw was set, his nose flaring with emotion. "God damn it, no," AJ cried as he threw himself forward, intending to jump in after the Hummer to rescue Nick, but the Goose caught his arm roughly, keeping him on the dock with a heavy hand. "Nick!" AJ violently shoved the Goose's grip off of him. Kevin reached over and rested a hand on AJ's shoulder.

As the Hummer dipped, then disappeared below the surface, the water trembling as the vehicle was swallowed alive, the Boss laughed. "Well, I guess he couldn't get out."

AJ turned to him. "You cruel bastard!"

Kevin took AJ by both shoulders, turning him to face him. "AJ, calm down."

"Calm down?" AJ yelled, eyes squaring with Kevin's. "How the hell can you expect me to calm down? Fuckin' A, Kevin. Didn't you see that? Don't you understand what we just saw, dude? We just saw these assholes kill Nick! Don't you get that?"

Kevin stoned over at AJ's words. "I get it, AJ, I get it all too well." His eyes welled up with tears, and his voice thickened, croaking against his throat. "What I also get is that if we act up too much it won't just be Nick they kill, okay? It's gonna be all of us if we don't calm down."

"Your friend speaks truth," the Boss intoned ominously, "He's a smart man. Listen to him." The Boss paused. "And now," he said, "We'll have a moment of silence for Mr. Carter." An extremely brief pause passed. "Okay, that's about enough of that sentimental bullshit. We've got business to take care of, my friends."

The Goose grabbed AJ roughly, and, being weakened by his display, he didn't fight. Gopher grabbed Howie while Red grabbed a hold of Brian. The Boss looked at Kevin. "I do believe you'll follow, as your three friends lives depend upon your collaboration with my plans?"

"Plans?" Kevin asked.

The Boss smiled, revealing a shining gold tooth. "Yes, I've got some pretty grand plans for you, Mr. Richardson. Come with me... We'll have a chat." The Boss motioned for Kevin to follow him as he waddled his way back to where his Lexus was parked. Gopher, Red and Goose pulled the other guys to the van. Kevin watched as they hoisted the guys in, then turned to look one last time at the river, which had returned to it's glassy smooth appearance now that the Hummer, presumably, was completely submerged and, more than likely, one of his best friends was gone forever. Kevin felt a lump, raw and scratchy, rise in his throat. "Well?" The Boss's voice echoed down the hill and Kevin ripped his eyes away from the Hudson river and trudged up to the Lexus, feeling numb.

-----

Agent Bryant broke the surface of the water the way a rocket would break a sheet of glass. His head thrown back as he popped up, he opened his mouth wide to drink in the air greedily. Nick's head broke the surface as well. Shaking, Nick reached to pull away the mouth piece from his face, gasping for fresh air as well. He looked at Bryant as the agent pulled away the diver's mask.

"I dunno why you were down there," Nick said, "But my God did you ever have excellent timing."

Agent Bryant laughed. "I was planning to come up, guns blazing and a cloud of glory to save all of you from this sort of thing happening..." he replied. "Let's get to shore, then we'll trade accounts."

Nick nodded, then started to paddle towards the now empty dock he'd flown over just minutes before. Suddenly, he remembered and turned to Bryant. "Beneficiary. Brian. Embassy bombing. Midnight. Kevin. Scapegoat." Nick spat the words hurriedly.

"What?" Bryant looked at Nick like he had rocks in his head.

"The details," Nick explained, "You said to remember the details."

Bryant laughed and ruffled Nick's hait, smiling. "You've done good, kid."

-----

The Boss poured Kevin a scotch once they'd settled into the back seat of the Lexus. A chauffer-looking guy sat in the driver's seat, the windows were heavily tinted. Kevin reluctantly took the glass from the godfather and looked down at the liquor suspiciously. He didn't dare to drink it, so instead he sloshed the liquid around in the bottom of the glass, watching it sway. "What is this, really?" Kevin asked, meaning the scotch as much as he meant the situation.

The Boos chuckled, then downed his own drink before reaching for Kevin's. "If you don't mind," he said, pounding the scotch. "Now for business," he said, pulling a red silk handkerchief from a pocket inside his suit coat and daintily tapping the corners of his mouth with it. "You seem like a smart man, Mr. Richardson, and so, as a smart fellow, you'll appreciate the offer I've got for you."

Kevin looked the Boss squarely in the eyes. "You can't bring Nick back, or restore my life to what it was just a few days ago. I'm sorry, sir, but unless you can do those things in return for me then I have no use for any offer that you've got to make me."

With a sigh, the Boss answered, "Well, that is very unfortunate. Very unfortunate indeed." He pressed his fingertips together and rested his face against them for a moment before continuing, "Also, unfortunately for you, is the fact that I don't really give a damn how you feel about it. This is more of a non-negotiable offer, you might say, as opposed to one which you have the choice to accept." He smiled, "You see, this is more like an offer that you cannot refuse."

Kevin nodded nobly, "As long as you know that my participation is not willing."

"We are on our way to the Embassy building where you, Mr. Richardson, are about to commit a heinous act of terrorism by detonating a bomb on the steps of the building." The Boss smiled fondly, "My little Isa made the bomb herself in her spare time. She's a bit of a genius, you know." He shook his head, returning to the offer. "You, Kevin, are going to be my international face of terrorism forever."

"How is this an 'offer'?" Kevin asked.

The Boss smiled, "Well, you get to live. Maybe. If you know how to detonate the bomb without getting blown up yourself. But that's your problem. You ever detonate a bomb before?"

"If I say 'no', would it make me disqualified for the job?" Kevin asked. He plowed on, "And even if I do live through the detonation, I spend probably the rest of my life in jail."

"It's better than the alternative," the Boss answered.

Kevin looked away, peering out the window at the city lights beyond the glass. He thought of his wife and their plans for kids that he couldn't have if he were behind bars. He thought of Christmases spent in a lonely cell and of his mother way down in Kentucky all alone. "That's debatable," he said.