- Text Size +
Nick rounded the corner before Agent Bryant did. He saw Kevin on the steps, about to press the button, and didn't wait. He rushed forward, his legs propelling him faster than he could ever have imagined, driven mainly by passion, galloping up the steps, evn as Kevin's fingers pressed downward. "NO!" he screamed, "KEVIN, STOP!!!!" He held out his hands, waving them, his eyes wide, "Don't press that! Don't do it Kevin!" Kevin looked up, but his thumb was already in the motion, the button already pressed. "NO!" Nick hollered. There was a sickening pause, as they both prepared for the explosion.... but nothing happened. Kevin looked down at the detonation device in surprise, and Nick arrived at his side, his arms flying around Kevin. "You're OKAY!" You're okay! You didn't hit the button!!!"

Kevin blinked at Nick, his jaw dropped. "I did.. I hit it.. I... Am I dead?"

"No!" Nick hugged him tight. "I'm sorry I snuck out! I'm sorry I was such a jerk earlier, Kevin, you're the best, you're my brother, and my almost father pratically. Kevin, I love ya man, I'm so glad you're alive!"

"I can't believe YOU'RE alive," Kevin sputtered in disbelief.

"Nick???" AJ's shout echoed off the building, "Nick is that you? Holy shit! Guys!" Brian and Howie were glowing as they looked up where Nick and Kevin stood. Not only had Kevin not been blown up, but there was Nick!

The Boss's eyes widened. "Carter?" he hissed.

Nick looked down at the bomb strapped to Kevin's body, "Heh... Well, so much for that, huh?" He smiled.

The Boss suddenly reached into the Lexus and withdrew a gun, while Nick and Kevin were busy celebrating each other's aliveness. They didn't even see as the Boss pulled it out, cocked it, aimed, and fired it. AJ was the first to react when the shot rang out. "Jesus Christ, Nick, he's got a gun, get down, both of you!" The Boss let off twenty shots, each one immediately following the other. Nick grabbed Kevin and turned so that he was back to the Boss, blocking Kevin from the bullets.

Three more shots were fired, and the Goose, Gopher and Red went down, pulling Brian, AJ and Howie down with them. Brian looked up as Agent Bryant offered a hand to the three Boys, "Hurry up. Take their guns," he said, then stepped over the three bodies and marched, with purpose, towards the Boss. He leveled his gun, "Drop your weapon, NOW," he demanded the Boss.

The Boss looked at Agent Bryant, and he laughed manicly, even as he dropped the gun. "It's quite alright Agent. I took out who I was after."

"You bastard," he pulled the trigger. One, two, three shots, and the Boss went down, not dead, only injured, but enough that Bryant was able to rush in and make the arrest, slapping the heaviest hand cuffs he had onto the Boss's fat wrists. "And you..." he turned to Isa, who was just sneaking out of the front seat of the Lexus as he turned from apprehending her father. He leveled the gun, "Miss. Romera, you're under arrest as well."

Isa held up her hands in surrender, her jaw dropped at the sight of her father on the ground. Agent Bryant hurried forward and cuffed her as well. "You might've arrested us," she taunted Agent Bryant, "But we got the job done just the same." She nodded to the stairs. Bryant turned to look, and felt his breath catch in his throat at the sight... then rush to join the Backstreet Boys where they were regrouping on the stairs of the Embassy building.