- Text Size +
When Agent Bryant reached the Boys on the stairs, Nick was down on the steps, laying across Kevin's lap. Kevin's eyes were wide, and the other three Boys were running up the stairs towards them, carrying the three mobsters' guns with them. Kevin's eyes were wide and he was frowning. Brian, Howie and AJ had just reached them, and huddled around, each one laying a hand on Nick. Through the back of Nick's shirt were eighteen bullet holes. "Oh my God," Bryant whispered, his stomach turning. Kevin rolled Nick over, his eyes closed and his features were emotionless, his limbs lifeless. Bryant stood before Nick as well, right at his feet, and looked at the other four guys around him. Behind him, he was distantly aware of other squad cars pulling up and of officers getting out and inpsecting what had happened. One of the back up officers arrived at his side.

"What happened?"

"Officer down," Bryant replied in an official tone, "KIA, it looks." The officer closed his eyes in respect, then backed away, and jogged back down the stairs.

"We just got him back," Kevin whispered, his voice low with unshed tears, "We just got him back."

AJ's voice, too, was thick with emotion. "I can't believe it..."

Officer Bryant stood up and pulled a badge from his pocket. "This was going to be Nick's honorary FBI Agent badge," he said, bending to place it on Nick's chest, "I was going to give it to him tonight... after everything was over." Bryant stood upright again. "Best damn agent I ever had. Been through hell, and still determined to keep on until he'd made the arrest." Bryant smiled, "Even if he was only on the squad for one day."

Howie looked at the badge, which was the NYPD shield. He read the name, "AGENT CARTER," with a smile. It was engraved on the bottom of the shield. "He would've liked that a lot," Howie said, imagining Nick carrying it around and showing it off to every person who would listen... multiple times.. per minute. He smiled, "I would've had to punch him if he'd told me about it one more time."

"Me, too," Brian said, his eyes welling up. "Nick was amazing."

"Sure was," AJ interjected, "He was fucking incredible... So loyal and caring, he was the gentlest not-gay guy I ever knew."

Kevin smiled weakly, "He was funny, too, always had a great sense of humor, even when he was the joke."

"And.. don't... don't forget... damn good... good lookin'."

Bryant, Howie, AJ, Brian and Kevin's heads all snapped to look at Nick. "Nick?!?"

His eyes fluttered opened, a weak, faint smile spread across his face, "That's... Agent... Nick.. to.. to you."

"Oh my God," Brian's hands went up in praise and he grinned, ear to ear.

Kevin's arms wrapped around Nick's head, and he began to cry as Howie and AJ each grabbed an arm. Agent Bryant smiled, "Welcome to the squad, Agent Nick." Nick hummed happily.

"You're alive, you're fucking alive," AJ yelped with joy. "I'm so glad! Dude, I am so gonna beat the shit out of you for scaring me like that."

Brian shook his head, "How on earth did you live through that, Nick?" he whispered, "That man shot you eighteen times in the back... Eighteen bullets, Nick, even Superman would be taken out with that."

Nick's arm moved slowly to the front of his shirt, which he pushed up to reveal his bullet proof vest beneath. "I almost took it off, too." He smiled slowly, and laughed low, quiet, before it was interrupted by a cough that shook his whole body.

"Jesus, you sound like crap," AJ mumbled.

"I kinda... kinda feel like crap, too..." Nick said, eyes fluttering as though he were about to go back to sleep.

Kevin leaned down by Nick's ear, "Hey... Just so you know... you totally saved the day." Nick smiled.

-----

So now you know how it is that Nick single handedly saved the day, and took out the terrorist mob. Well.. sort of single handedly. It was, after all, his back that'd blocked Kevin's certain doom and all that stuff. Plus he'd been the one to tell Agent Bryant that there was a problem at all. And he'd been the one that went flying off the pier in the Boss's Hummer. So what if the bomb Isa (who by the way was rotting in jail for 30 years, minimum, without parole) had built had been less than perfect and that's why it hadn't detonated? So what if it'd been Bryant who'd actually shot Red, Gopher and Goose? And yeah, he was the one that took out the Boss after the Boss shot Nick. So what? Nick had a badge to prove he was the brave one.

Well I'd like to tell you that they all lived happily ever after and never experienced any kind of drama ever again.. but.. unfortunately... that wouldn't be true. The Backstreet Boys never go very long without SOME kind of drama going on in their lives and.. well.. being an honorary Agent in the FBI, Nick got to save a lot more days.... But those are stories you're just going to have to wait to hear.