- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's chapter 2! I hope everyone is enjoying this so far!! Let me know what you think of it!

*2 months earlier*

Driving down the California coast, wind whipping through my hair, everything seemed perfect. The night was perfect, the stars were perfect, hell my whole life is perfect. I smiled to myself, feeling the warm fuzzy feeling when I think about the girl I love the most in my life. Katie. Yup, my girlfriend of 2 years. I don't know how to explain it. She just makes me feel so alive. She makes me want to work harder at what I do. What we have is definitely the definition of true love. Something I'll never let go of and something I'm going to cherish for the rest of my life. Just like my friendship with Aaron. It's sacred. I gently placed my hand into my pant pocket and fingered the velvety texture of a small box. I knew I had to do this. It is time.

********

I slowly pulled my white Mercedes Benz up into my driveway. ' Yes, she's still home. Here's my chance.' I turned off the ignition, grabbed my jacket and made my way to the door. I took a deep breath, before I entered.

" Katie?" I called out once I entered. The house was silent. I entered the living room, where Scooby Doo the Movie was softly playing. Katie wasn't in there. I frowned and made my way toward the den where she usually is. And I was right. She was in there.

" Hey, baby." I greeted her. I must have scared her a bit, cause she gasped and jumped. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her into a tight embrace. The smell of her body, made me go weak at the knees. My heart started to pound harder and harder as the moment came near.

" I'm glad you're here." I smiled at the sound of her voice. I grabbed the sides of her arms gently and gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

" Yeah? Well, I'm glad you're here." I whispered. She smiled and sat down on the couch, gently pulling me down with her.

" I need to tell you something, Katie." I told her. She looked at me. I smiled at the way her hair flung around and land perfectly back in place.

" Really? I need to tell you something too."

" Well, you go first!" I laughed, pulling my body closer to hers. I frowned a little when I saw her tense up. Uh Oh, maybe I should go first. No! Just hear her out, it may not be that bad. I swallowed hard and waited for her to answer. She licked her lips nervously.

" Jesse, you know I love you very much. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. For a while I thought I didn't deserve someone so pure and beautiful as you are. But---"

Uh oh. There's a but involved.

" With my career suddenly switching gears on me and I find myself spending more time away from you. It's just getting too hard......." She trailed off and looked down at the ground. My hands began to shake. I licked my dry lips and sucked in a sharp breath.

" What are you trying to say, baby?" She finally looked up, tears threatening to spill over. Tears started to swell up in my eyes as well. This can not end good. I took a deep breath trying to keep it together.

" I'm so sorry........I don't think this--I mean us, being together is going to work out. It's getting to hard Jess. I can't live like this anymore. My job is taking me to Europe for eight months. That's too long to be away from you. I love you and I'm so so sorry...."

And there it is. The bomb is dropped. d**n.

" Katie, I don't understand...." I stammered. I knew where this is going. She was breaking up with me. Something I didn't totally expect. And something I never even dreamed of happening in the first place.

" Jesse please...I need this. I just need my space. I'm sorry." She cried, grabbed my face and giving me a long tender kiss. My heart completely stopped at that moment. This was my last kiss. Please someone wake me up from this nightmare. This not happening. Not to me. Please not this night.

She pulled away, slightly, softly tracing my bottom lip with the tip of her finger.

" Please Jess. Please understand."

" Katie, it might take me a while to understand this but----if that's the way you feel, then I'll be there and support it. Whatever makes you happy. You never know, this might turn out to be a good thing." I said, forcing a huge lump back down my throat. I clenched my teeth together, to prevent from crying out. She nodded and kissed my forehead.

" I better go." I could only nod. She stood up and grabbed her coat and purse. My heart burned and ached. When I heard that door close, I collapsed to the floor. I struggled to keep my breath. How could this turn out to be a good thing? Why did I say that? I must be nuts. I pulled out the small blue velvety box. With the tip of my thumb I flipped the lid up and gazed down at the perfectly cut diamond ring, untouched by a welcoming finger. Getting down on a bended knee isn't happening tonight. Not ever. I slowly sucked in a deep shaky breath. I suddenly started to feel weak. The ring slipped out of my fingers and so silently landing on the floor beside me. Everything started to spin and become just one big blur.

I wept till the end. But....when will the end be the end? I would never know.