- Text Size +
Story Notes:
So, I bit the bullet and started writing a sequel. The last story ended on a pretty happy note, but be forewarned - this will be anything but fluffy. Happy reading!
My Happy Ending
Prologue

“I can’t believe this.” Joey said sadly as she and Ashleigh sat in her house. It was an early January evening, snow was blowing softly outside. The two girls were sitting in Joey’s living room quietly sipping mugs of hot chocolate.

Ashleigh gave her friend a sad smile. Unfortunately, this was something that had to be done. “I’m really going to miss you, Joe.”

“I don’t see why he couldn’t move up here.” Joey said in a bitter tone, but smiled back at Ashleigh to let her know that she was joking.

Ashleigh laughed. “Do you honestly think he would survive in that?” She said, pointing out at the blizzard that was happening outside.

“I guess not.” Joey chucked. “I’m glad things are working out for you guys, Ash.” Joey said sincerely. Though she was upset that her best friend was moving thousands of miles away, it seemed as though Ashleigh had finally managed to get her personal life on track.

“Thanks.” Ashleigh replied, taking a sip of her drink. “I never thought it would come this far.”

Joey laughed a little. “Well, I don’t know about that. When we were in high school you were pretty adamant that you were going to marry him.”

Ashleigh cringed. She had hoped Joey wouldn’t bring that up. “Who said anything about getting married? I’m just moving in with him.”

Ashleigh and Nick had now been officially together for the past year and four months. In between flying back and forth to each other’s homes, things had progressed smoothly between them. It was only natural that they would want to take their relationship to the next level. Especially since they lived so far away from one another.

“I know, I’m only joking.” Joey said with a laugh. She didn’t know how she was going to handle having her best friend living so far away. For the entire time they’d known each other, they’d always lived at most half an hour apart. Now they would no longer be just a car ride away. “This sucks, Ash.”

Ashleigh nodded. Part of her really didn’t want to move, but she knew it was for the best. She couldn’t just stay in Minnesota because her best friend was there. She was growing up, and as such she needed to make sacrifices. “I know. I wish you could come too.”

Joey smiled a little. “You know I can’t do that.”

“I know, I was only joking.” Ashleigh sighed.

“So, what are you going to do once you get to Florida? Lots of swimming and fooling around on the beach?” Joey asked.

Ashleigh shrugged. She didn’t really know what she planned on doing. She thought about maybe searching out locations to open a new store. She’d had to sell her old one on account of the move. “Probably for the first few days. I’d like to go back to work though. Maybe open another coffee shop or something.”

Joey nodded, she’d known how much Ashleigh loved owning her store. Granted, she’d complained about her staff a lot. Selling her business hadn’t been easy for her, but it was something that needed to be done. Besides, a Starbucks had moved into the mall two stores down, so Ashleigh had figured it would be best to get out before things went south anyway.

“He’d better treat you well.” Joey said seriously, changing the subject. Ashleigh had had her fair share of heartbreak. She didn’t need anymore relationship drama.

Ashleigh rolled her eyes, but smiled still. “You know he does.”

“I know. I’m just worried about you. So far away, not able to run to my house.”

Ashleigh laughed. That was true. There had been many a time when she’d run to the friendly arms of her best friend when her boyfriend was acting like a jerk. “You’ll only be a phone call away.” Ashleigh reminded her. She stole another glance out the window. While she was sad that she was going to be leaving her life in Minneapolis behind, she was excited for everything that was sure to come.