- Text Size +
My Happy Ending
Chapter 12

“So you just threw him out?” Joey asked Ashleigh, somewhat shocked.

Ashleigh sighed, sitting down on Joey’s bed. “Well, what was I supposed to do?” She snapped. She was under enough stress already, she certainly didn’t need adding to it. Wasn’t he supposed to be helping her?

Joey rolled her eyes. “I don’t know. Talk to him?”

“What could I talk to him about? He’s being so frustrating.” She said, standing up and beginning to pace around the room. She really didn’t know what to do with herself. An hour ago, she’d thought everything with Nick was fine. Now Nick was in the guest room, presumably packing his things to go back home.

“He’s scared, Ash.” Joey tried to rationalize, as she heard the front door slam. “And now he’s gone.”

“I don’t understand what there is to be scared of.” Ashleigh muttered, folding her arms across her chest. “He’s supposed to love and support me and all that stuff.”

Joey fiddled with the picture frames on her dresser. “You don’t think that family wouldn’t scare him? You watched House of Carters. Have you even met his family?”

Ashleigh shrugged, peering at the pictures Joey was looking at. There were quite a few of her and her old friends. Ashleigh smiled a little when her eyes landed on one of her and Joey taken at their High School graduation. That had been a much simpler time in her life, she thought bitterly. Before she met Nick. “I met his sisters and brother at his birthday.”

“And his Mom? Dad?” Joey questioned.

“He doesn’t talk to his Mom.” Ashleigh replied. “I don’t know about his Dad.”

“What does that tell you, Ash? Maybe he’s scared his kid will think of him the way he thinks of his parents.” Joey tried to reason. As far as she was concerned, Ashleigh was being a little too rash.

“Well he doesn’t need to be such a cock about it!” Ashleigh exclaimed. “Anyway it doesn’t matter. He’s gone. He’ll call me when he gets his shit together.”

Joey just nodded, accepting the fact that she wasn’t going to talk Ashleigh out of her decision to not see Nick for a while. “Are you sure you don’t want to go after him?” She tried one last time. “We can still follow him to the airport.”

Ashleigh shook her head. “No. I want him to come to me when he’s ready. I’m really sick of his bullshit.” She said firmly, surprising herself a little. She’d definitely become stronger in the last couple of years. “Maybe it’s better this way. We never had any problems when we were long distance before.”

“Yeah, but you want to move forward don’t you? Besides, you moved all your things down to Florida. You’re going to have to go back there some time.” Joey replied.

“I know. I just wish he wasn’t acting so childish.” Ashleigh said, looking at the ground. Truthfully, as angry as she was with Nick at that moment, she was already starting to miss him.

“He’ll come back. He did once already.” Joey said, offering her friend a small smile.

Ashleigh nodded. “Yeah. I know.”


By the time Nick made it back to Florida, he was exhausted. He’d managed to catch a flight out that afternoon and make it back for that evening. Frustrated and lonely, he flopped down on his couch to turn on the TV.

Flipping through the channels, Nick became increasingly more irritated. He’d known he’d acted irrationally with Ashleigh, and yet he felt justified in blaming her for their argument earlier. After all, she’d been acting as though this was something they’d planned and should be excited about when in reality, Nick only saw it as a mistake with huge consequences.

He didn’t understand why it was so hard for her to accept that this was difficult for him. Hell, he hadn’t even wanted children in the first place, and now all of a sudden he didn’t have a choice in the matter.

His ears perked up as Access Hollywood began to talk about him. Nick rolled his eyes, but continued to watch. In addition to their story on he and Ashleigh at dinner the other night, they now had photos of him at the airport alone.

“Well that’s just fucking great.” Nick muttered to himself as he switched off the TV. Picking up his cell phone, he scrolled through his list of contacts. Calling any of the others was out of the question, they would only tell him he was being irrational and to man up.

“Hey Chris?” Nick said, as his best friend picked up the phone. “You up for going drinking tonight?”


“Hello, hello miss Ashleigh.” Jared smiled as Ashleigh answered the door later that evening. “And how are you doing today?”

Ashleigh shrugged. Something told her she probably shouldn’t spill all her problems to her best friend’s boyfriend. “Fine.” She simply said. “And you? Where are you guys going tonight?”

Jared stopped into the house and sat down on the couch as Ashleigh continued to channel surf. “I think we’re just planning on going to a movie or something. Why don’t you and Nick come with us?”

Ashleigh just shrugged. “Nick went home. He had some thing to attend to.”

Jared just nodded. “Well, you could just come with us.”

“I don’t think Joey would like that very much.” Ashleigh laughed, knowing her friend probably would want some alone time with her boyfriend.

“I don’t think it would be a problem.” Joey said, coming into the room. “Go get changed. We’ll wait.” She grinned.

Ashleigh sighed, but reluctantly went to go get dressed. She knew that if she protested, Joey would make her go along with them anyway. She figured she may as well spend some quality time with her friend while she was in the city anyway.


“Forget her, Nick.” Chris laughed, as the two of them sat at a table of a small pub that overlooked the beach. “If she’s going to be that way you don’t need her. There’s plenty of girls.”

Nick shrugged, and took another sip of his beer. How many had he had? Chris had just kept buying them for him, and he kept drinking them. “I guess so.” He agreed, Ashleigh wasn’t really making any effort to see his side of the situation. So why should he care what she thought?

“Speaking of which…” Chris smirked, as one of the aforementioned girls approached the two of them.

“Hey.” She smiled, walking over to Nick. “Nick Carter, right?”

Nick just looked up at her. Something told him that this was a very, very bad idea. Still, his frustration with Ashleigh and the alcohol in his system pressed him to move forward. “Yeah, that’s me.” He said, flashing his signature smile. “And what’s your name gorgeous?”

“Nadine.” She giggled, twirling a lock of her hair around her finger. “My friends and I are here for Spring Break, and we rented a boat. But we’re having a bit of trouble…”

Nick just gaped at her, and looked back at Chris, who only gave him a thumbs up. “Sure. Nick said, getting up from his seat and walking down to the beach with Nadine. Sure enough, she led him over to a group of her friends that were trying to get their boat started.

“You know, you’re really cute.” She mentioned, as Nick inspected the boat. She draped her arm around his shoulder. “I saw you in the Star today… your stupid girlfriend doesn’t know what she’s losing…”

Nick looked up at her, and once again the alcohol in his system got the better of him. Ashleigh really didn’t know what she was losing. He was Nick Carter, girls fell at his feet. He licked his lips and kissed her forcefully.

Apparently this had been her goal, because she responded to him quite eagerly. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back whist running her hands through his hair. “We could go back to my hotel room if you want.” She winked.

Nick didn’t even take a second to ponder that, they were already walking up the beach.

Five minutes later, they were in her suite and Nick was eager to do anything and everything possible to forget about Ashleigh. He pushed Nadine down onto the bed and crawled on top of her. Sleeping with groupies was something Nick hadn’t done in quite sometime, and he had to admit it felt rather nice that he was still able to attract girls.

He leaned down to kiss her once again, and as he did so a familiar memory crept its way into his mind…

After what seemed like forever, they finally reached his floor. Nick led the way as Ashleigh followed quickly behind him. As soon as they entered the room, Nick pushed her up against the wall and kissed her forcefully. Her entire body tensed up, and yet she didn’t stop. This was a feeling Nick knew all too well. The nervousness and yet excitement of sleeping with Nick Carter. A dream becoming a reality.

He kicked off his shoes and ran his hands over Ashleigh’s back. Moving his lips from her mouth, he moved down to kiss her neck. Then, he pulled away from her and gave her a look.

Instead of giggling like most groupies did, she gave him a soft kiss and a comment. “Nice doorway.”

Nick smirked, taking that as a sign that she wanted to move further into the room. Not wasting any time, he led her over to the queen sized bed, which was dressed with black sheets. Beginning to kiss him again, he picked up her up and pushed her down onto the bed. Taking the dominating role as he always did. The girls never knew what to do.

Now what was he doing? The exact same thing, sleeping with some girl who meant nothing to him. Just as he had intended to do with Ashleigh that first time.

But Ashleigh had become more to him. Somewhere along the line, his feelings for her had changed. In meeting her once again, he’d realized what he’d lost, and he’d been able to win her back. Was he willing to throw that all away for some girl who he’d probably never see again? Who only wanted to sleep with him because of his name, and not because she was in love with him as Ashleigh was?

“I can’t do this.” Nick stammered, nearly jumping off Nadine. “I have to go.” He said quickly, nearly running out of the room. Putting his head in his hands once he was safely out of the hotel, he sighed to himself. Ashleigh was right – he really did have some serious thinking to do.