- Text Size +
My Happy Ending
Chapter 6

A week later, Ashleigh and Nick had managed to rebuild their relationship little by little. They were still in somewhat of a disagreement, but for the most part Nick had let it go. He opted not to bother her about it. He wanted them to get married when they both wanted it, not simply because he was forced her into it.

Still, that didn’t stop him from wondering why she didn’t want it. He’d heard her reasoning, but it still seemed difficult for him to understand. Regardless, they’d managed to start speaking to each other again. Things were still a little awkward, but at least they were trying. Nick figured the best way to get Ashleigh to change her mind would be not to fight with her, but to act as though everything was fine. To treat her as though nothing had changed.

That morning, Nick rolled over to Ashleigh’s side of the bed, eager to hold her and try to get things back on track. To his dismay, there were only rumpled sheets where he thought she would have been.

Already awake, Nick stumbled out of bed and walked down the hall to the washroom. Pausing a little, he noticed that the light was on and the door was half open. Upon closer inspection, Nick gasped at what he saw.

Ashleigh was lying in a curled up ball on the cold tiled floor. “Ash.” He said, kneeling down. Touching her hair, he noticed that she was sweating. “What are you doing?”

“I threw up.” She whimpered, not moving at all. Though she felt a little better, she didn’t want to risk getting sick again. So, instead of heading back to the bedroom, she’d simply laid on the washroom floor and waited for the nausea to pass.

Nick continued to stroke her back, suddenly not caring about their differences of opinion. “Are you sick? Do you want me to get you something to drink?”

“I don’t know. I felt like I was going to pass out.” Ashleigh said, still not daring to move from her position on the floor. “I got up and I had to go to the washroom, and then all of a sudden I just felt really dizzy and then I got sick, and I felt like I was going to pass out, so I just laid down here…”

Nick grimaced. That didn’t sound good at all. “I’m going to take you to the doctor.”

“No.” Ashleigh replied. “I don’t have a doctor here.”

“We’ll go to a walk in clinic.” Nick said as he walked back towards the washroom to get dressed.

Ashleigh continued to lie against the floor. She really didn’t want to move, she would have been perfectly content to stay there all day long.

“Come on, get dressed.” Nick said, handing her a pair of jeans and a tshirt. Ashleigh just whimpered. Reluctantly, she sat up and pulled her clothes on. Surprisingly, she didn’t feel that sick any longer.

“Actually, I think I’m okay.” She said, pulling the clothes on.

“You passed out!” Nick said, helping her up.

“Almost passed out.” She reminded him. She really didn’t want to go to see a doctor, she hated waiting rooms and hated tests even more.

Nick still looked at her sceptically. She didn’t exactly look sick, and the colour was returning to her skin. Still, it worried him a great deal. “Just to be safe.” He said. Ashleigh rolled her eyes, but knew that she wasn’t going to win this argument. Reluctantly, she followed Nick outside to the car.

By the time they arrived at Tampa General, Ashleigh was feeling much better. When she’d tried to tell that to Nick, he’d simply given her a look telling her that she was going to see a doctor. Now, they were impatiently waiting for her turn.

“I hate waiting rooms.” Ashleigh said, her voice filled with exasperation. She flipped through yet another boring gossip magazine.

Nick stared blankly at the television. It was playing an old episode of Happy Days. Nick wondered to himself if he’d done the right thing. He was supposed to be taking care of her, right? He just wanted to make sure she was okay. Plus, this would show Ashleigh that he could cope in a crisis.

“Nick?” Ashleigh said, touching his shoulder. He was zoning out again, as he usually tended to do. “What are you thinking about?” She asked, somewhat alarmed. Waiting rooms really did freak her out. She hated looking at all the sick people, and refused to feel as though she was one of them. Nick was just being paranoid.

“Yeah?” He said, leaning over to her. “Don’t you like Happy Days?” He asked, motioning towards the screen.

“Not really.” She said, rolling her eyes. She didn’t care if it was House being played on the tv, she just wanted to get out of there.

Luckily, her turn came rather quickly. “Ashleigh Dane?” The nurse called, and Ashleigh practically ran out of the waiting room. Nick quickly followed her, knowing she didn’t want to be there in the first place.

“And now we play the less entertaining waiting game.” Ashleigh muttered as they sat in the small room. “Oh, and uncomfortable bed! Score!” She said sarcastically.

Nick laughed. At least she hadn’t lost her sense of humour. “I’m sure the doctor will be in soon.”

“I hope so. I just want to get out of here.” She said, sitting on the bed.

Nick frowned a little. She really did look as though she was better. Maybe he was being a little too over cautious. Before he had the chance to suggest to her that they go home, the doctor walked into the room. “Good morning, Miss. Dane.” He said, reading off the clipboard in his hands. “So we had a little fainting spell this morning, did we?”

Ashleigh sighed. “Yes. But I’m fine now. He’s just being paranoid.” She said, pointing to Nick.

“Well, you never can be too careful.” The doctor smiled. “We’ll just do a couple of tests to make sure you’re okay. I’ll have a nurse come in to take a blood sample.”

Ashleigh pouted a little but nodded. “Okay.” She said weakly.

Once the doctor stepped out of the room, Ashleigh shot Nick a glare. “This is ridiculous.” She said to him. If he wasn’t being so overly precautious, she’d be at home right now and not waiting to get stabbed with a needle.

Nick gave her a sympathetic look. “I just wanted to make sure you’re okay.” He was beginning to regret that decision however, since it seemed like it was just making her angry with him.

“I’m fine.” She said flatly.

Nick sighed. The last thing he wanted was for them to be on bad terms again, especially after they’d just gotten over their last argument. Well, somewhat anyway. Nick was still annoyed at the fact that she’d shot him down. “Tell you what, I’ll make lunch.”

Ashleigh stuck out her tongue. “Do you want me to get sick again?” She asked sarcastically.

Before Nick could respond, the nurse walked into the room. Ashleigh immediately tensed. Mentally, she once again cursed Nick for bringing her to the hospital.

Nick took Ashleigh’s hand and held it tightly as the nurse drew blood from her. She looked very uncomfortable, and he felt guilty for putting her through this. He hoped there was nothing seriously wrong. Even though that would probably make Ashleigh upset with him, for putting her through this without a reason. Still, Nick figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

Ashleigh almost felt as though she was going to pass out again, although this time she knew it was from the needle in her arm. She gave Nick a weak smile, glad that it was over.

Before the nurse left, she told Ashleigh to come back in two days to get her test results. Ashleigh had tried to dispute this, asking if she could just phone. However, the nurse was insistent that they results be given in person.

So, two days later Ashleigh and Nick once again were sitting in the bland doctor’s office. Much to Ashleigh’s discomfort, she’d continued to feel ill in the mornings and she had a sick feeling that she knew exactly what was wrong. She hadn’t said anything to Nick for fear of upsetting and worrying him. She figured waiting until the doctor’s confirmation would be best.

Of course, she still managed to complain. “This is such a joke.” She said bitterly. “I don’t see why they couldn’t just phone me.”

Nick sighed. He’d done nothing but listen to Ashleigh complain for the last two days and it was starting to grate on his nerves. “Because there are privacy laws.”

“Well that’s stupid.” Ashleigh scoffed, not caring how immature she was acting. “This whole ordeal is stupid.” She sighed.

Nick rubbed his eyes. First his failed proposal and now this. Could things possibly get any worse? He didn’t understand how they could go from being hopelessly in love to hopelessly irritated with one another in the matter of a week. It didn’t make any sense to him. “I love you, Ash.” He said, trying to make her, and himself feel a little better.

“I love you too.” She mumbled. All she felt however, was that Nick was causing her a great amount of grief.

The two of them sat in silence for the next few minutes, until the doctor finally entered the room. “Good afternoon.” He said cheerfully. “Feeling better?” He asked Ashleigh.

“Not as bad.” She replied carefully. Nick gave her a look, as far as he’d known Ashleigh had been fine since that morning.

He nodded. “Well, I do have your test results.” He said, sitting down.

Ashleigh cringed and felt that nervous feeling return. She knew what was coming. How could have been so stupid not to have seen it before?

“You’re pregnant, Miss Dane.”