- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WOW! Thank you all so much for reading and reviewing already! I was surprised that so many of you liked it. I hope you all like this chapter as much as the last. Please keep reading and sending me feedback ;-)


~~***************~~
Ah, that fateful day. I can remember it so vividly as if it just happened this afternoon. I was just kicking off a tour with the other guys and we were performing in Orlando before we headed out to Alabama for a couple shows. I stepped out of the concert arena for some fresh air before the show started. There was a lot of noise coming from the alley behind the arena so I peeked around the corner. My eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw five guys beat the shit out of some other guy. I was going to step in and help the defenseless guy but stopped when I saw one of the other guys pull out a gun. My heart stopped as I saw then gunman shoot 5 or 6 rounds into the guy’s head!
When I saw the other guys begin to scatter, I turned and made a break for the arena door. I closed the door behind me and listened as the assailants ran past. My breathing was labored and my heart was pounding.
“Nick? Are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost,” Howie appeared in front of me.
“Cancel the concert, Howie.”
“Cancel the…are you crazy?” he looked at me as if I were insane.
“No. Cancel it, NOW. And call the cops,” I stated as I began to shake. The realization was hitting me hard. I had just seen someone get murdered.
“What are you…” he started to protest again but I cut him off.
“Look,” I whispered, afraid that one of the assailants was still near by and could hear me. “I just saw someone get murdered in the back alley. I figured the cops should know and I am REALLY not up to performing after seeing some guy get five bullets in the head!” I looked at him with wide eyes and a look of pure fear.
“Nick, that is nothing to poke fun at. You really shouldn’t make jokes like that.”
“Um…do I LOOK LIKE I AM FUCKING KIDDING? THERE IS A DEAD DUDE IN THE ALLEY AND I SAW THE WHOLE DAMN THING HAPPEN!”
“Oh my dear God. You aren’t kidding!” Howie’s eyes widened before he took off up the flight of stairs. I followed him almost on his heals.
“What is your rush, Howie?” Kevin asked as Howie plowed into him. I skidded to a stop almost winding up bumping into Howie.
“Cancel the show. I’m calling 911. We will explain afterwards,” Howie stated as he brushed past Kevin and entered the dressing room.
“What’s your deal, Nicky?” AJ raised an eyebrow as I watched Kevin hot tail it down the hall. Howie was deep into a conversation with the 911 operator.
“I uh,” I swallowed a lump in my throat and scrunched my eyebrows.
“The 911 operator wants to talk to you,” Howie interrupted and handed me the phone. I wasn’t on the phone long before Kevin re-entered the room with three police officers behind him.
“Care to fill us in now, Nick?” Kevin stood with his head tilted. “This better be good.” He seemed to be very agitated with me. Okay, so I have played a few pranks in my day but NONE of them involved canceling a show OR calling 911.
“Kevin. Chill out. Nick is having a bad night so be patient,” Howie sighed.
“I um, when I…” I took a shaky breath and looked up at the cops who were patiently waiting. “I went outside for some fresh air before the show and I heard a bunch of noise in the back alley. When I peeked around the corner I saw a guy on the ground and five other guys beating him up,” I took a deep breath. “I was getting ready to go help the guy out but then I saw one of the others pull out a gun. Before I knew it the gun went off and put like 5 or 6 bullets…” I began to shake as I balled up my fists. “…into his….head.” I finally finished and let out a long breath. So that was like the HARDEST thing I have ever had to say. The words didn’t even want to come out of my mouth and I sure as hell didn’t want to admit to the events actually happening.
“O my God, Nick!” Kevin’s jaw dropped as he ran to my side. He wrapped his arms around me. “I uh…I’m so sorry.”
“Holy shit,” AJ stood and gave me a hug as well. “You know we are here if you need to talk, man.”
“I…I know,” I nodded slightly.
“Alright, we need to ask a few questions, Mr. uh…”
“Carter. Nick Carter.” I finished for the officer.
“Well, Mr. Carter, you will need to come along with us to the precinct so that we can get a statement from you. Because of your fame and all, you may wish to have a lawyer present.”
“I think that is a good idea. Just to be safe,” Howie nodded.
“But, I didn’t do anything!” I exclaimed looking at Kevin then Brian.
“We know that, Nick,” Brian patted my shoulder. “You just tell our lawyer what happened and he will make sure that you word it right.”
“Oh,” I sighed, “I thought you were insinuating that I did it.”
“Oh no, Mr. Carter, some of your security members saw the assailants taking off. At that time, they did not realize what had happened. Your two security men said that the men looked suspicious. Evidently they thought the assailants were trying to steal equipment that belonged to your band.”
“Oh, okay,” I relaxed only a minor bit.
“We found guns on both men and have them in custody. Another officer has already taken them to be booked.”
“There were five of them,” I reminded.
“Yes and we now have a team out in search of the others.”
“This is messed up, man!” AJ shook his head in disbelief.
“Can we go down with him?” Brian questioned.
“I would not advise all of you to accompany him. One of you going along for moral support would be just fine, but I think all of you being there, along with a lawyer, and investigators may get a bit overwhelming.”
“Who do you want to go with you, Nick?” Kevin questioned from the couch where he rested his head in his hands. I just looked up at AJ with questioning eyes.
“Of course, Nick,” AJ nodded. I told you that we had a close relationship that no one understood. Hell, most people thought that we couldn’t stand each other.
“Thanks,” I whispered. The officers allowed AJ to drive me to the station rather than having to ride in the squad car. However, there were squad cars surrounding us as he carefully drove us to the station.
“It will all work out, Nick,” AJ looked at me after putting the truck in park.
“It’s really freaking me out, Aje,” I confided nervously. I had never EVER been in a situation remotely close to this before. I admit it, I was scared out of my skull! I still am sometimes. We climbed out of the truck and headed to the front doors, where the officers greeted us before escorting us into the building.