- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow! Thank you, to all those who have been reviewing already! You gals are awesome; I appreciate your feedback SO much :-) I hope you all like this chapter.


~~***************~~
A million thoughts ran through my head when I was in the station that night. Aje was more than supportive and our lawyer was extremely helpful. I couldn’t help but feel like a criminal, though, as I sat in the harshly lit questioning room. There were two different officers in the room with me, Aje, and our lawyer. After going over the events for the twentieth time, they typed up a statement for me to sign. I read it. Aje read it over my shoulder. Then, our lawyer read it. After concluding that it covered all of what I said, the way I said it, and nothing more…I scribbled my name at the bottom of the paper.
“See, Nick,” AJ patted my back then rubbed my shoulders a bit. “Everything is just fine!”
“I guess you’re right, Aje. Thanks, man,” I turned to look at him.
“It’s cool. But you are the one who is going to explain to the guys why you chose me. They are probably each having a brain overload trying to figure it out.”
“All three of them have wives they should spend time with before we leave the state,” I shrugged.
“Touché,” he snickered. The officers had stepped out of the room but where now returning with some papers.
“Here are copies of your statement, the police report, and a few other documents that you will want to take home and put in you files.” He handed a set to me and then one to our lawyer.
“We would like for you to look at a line up.” The other officer spoke up.
“Sure,” I nodded as I stood to me feet. I followed them to the room. I looked out the two sided mirror as the first line of men walked in.
“There will be three lines of men. Both suspects that were apprehended will be in the mix somewhere. If you are not sure of any of them, we can always come back to them later. Please, do not pick anyone out unless you are sure. If you have a suspicion, you may voice it openly but we don’t want you to say it is this guy and that guy if you aren’t sure.” The female officer explained.
“Okay,” I nodded and peered at the line of men. “I don’t see either of them.”
“Alright,” she leaned close to a microphone and pressed a little button before speaking again, “next line, please.” As she requested, the next line of men came in and stood in front of the measure marked wall.
“That’s the guy! That’s him! I know it for sure!” I pointed wildly at a tall dark haired man. “He was the guy with the gun! I could see his face because of the light over the back door in the alley,” I continued.
“Number 4? You’re sure?” she asked as she wrote in her little booklet.
“A hundred percent, that’s him,” I insisted.
“Do you recognize any of the other men?”
“Um…number 7 looks like he might be but I am not for sure,” I shrugged.
“Okay, we will bring in the last line and if we need to, we can bring him back out as a part of a fourth line.” She turned the microphone back on and requested the next line. I looked at this line for about five minutes.
“Can I see that other guy, along with number 2 and number 5 from this line?”
“Sure thing.” A few minutes later I was looking at the three men who were each wearing a new number. They faced one side, then the other, and back to me again. I was thanking God, repeatedly, that they could not see me.
“Number 2. I am ninety eight percent sure.” I finally spoke as I turned to the officer.
“Well, you have correctly identified the two men that were caught by your group’s security. Now, we will be able to press charges against them and hopefully get them to talk. Thank you for your cooperation.”
Aje and I left the station. He lit up a smoke as soon as he exited the door and he didn’t put up an argument when I asked to bum one. I don’t usually smoke but I will on occasion. Normally AJ would tell me ‘no’ because he says he doesn’t want me picking up his stupid habits. Tonight was different.

It was almost a month before I heard from the station again. They called to fill me in on the trial dates and times. This was moving much faster than I had anticipated. I guess my testimony helped a lot to speed things up. They also had a truck load of physical evidence. It was only another month before the trial date and it went by WAY too damn fast!
I remember sitting in the courtroom, surrounded by the guys and my brother Aaron. They had all come to offer me words of support and comfort. Nothing could prepare me for what that afternoon held in store. Then came the words I had been dreading…
“The prosecution calls Nickolas Carter to the stand.”
“Go get ‘em, Nick,” Kevin gave me a small smile.
“You’ll be fine,” Howie winked.
“Nick,” was all AJ said as we locked eyes. That was all it took. If you are ever privileged enough to look into AJ’s eyes, you will know what I mean…that man can tell you an entire story with a glance…it’s creepy sometimes.
“Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?” the bailiff asked after I placed my hand atop the Bible he held.
“Yes, I do,” I nodded before sitting in the hard cold wooden chair. The defendant…the man I was positive, pulled the trigger, was staring a hole into me as the prosecutor began her line of questioning.
“Mr. Carter, what do you do for a living?”
“I am a musician and singer. I am a part of the group called the Backstreet Boys.”
“So what were you doing at the arena the night of August 17th?”
“We were kicking off our U.S. tour. It was our second scheduled concert.”
“And why were you outside that evening?”
“I needed to get some fresh air before we went on stage.”
“Can you tell me what happened that night? What did you see?”
“I stepped out the side door. I was just standing there, when I heard a bunch of noise from the back alley. When I peeked around the corner, I saw a guy on the ground. There were five other men beating him up. I was just moving to step in and help the man when I saw…” I trailed off as I started to shake at the pictures flashing through my brain
“It’s okay Mr. Carter. Take your time and tell us what happened next,” she politely urged me to continue.
“I saw one of the men pull out a gun, this made me freeze. That’s when the gunman pulled the trigger and fired 5 or 6 shots.” I finished and let out a long sigh.
“And where were those shots aimed?”
“At the guy on the ground.”
“Did you see if the shots hit that man?”
“Yes…” I drew in a breath, “they all went into his head.”
“Now, Mr. Carter, I need you to look around this courtroom. Please tell us if you see the man who shot the deceased victim.”
“Yes, I do. It was the defendant,” I answered nervously.
“Are you absolutely sure?”
“One hundred percent.”
“Thank you Mr. Carter,” she smiled warmly then turned to the judge, “I have no further questions, at this time.”
“Does the defense wish to question the witness?” the judge asked.
“Yes, sir. We do,” the well suited defense attorney replied as he stood to his feet. This was going to be the worst part. He was going to badger me and try to get me to slip up. As we all know…this isn’t very hard to get me to do; I am not exactly the best with words.
“What time did all of this supposedly occur, Mr. Carter?”
“Um, let’s see. I didn’t look at my watch but we would have gone on stage at 9 that night. We have to have an hour or so for preparation so that would put it at about 8 o’clock. Maybe quarter ‘till.”
“And was it dark outside yet?”
“Not completely, no. It was fairly dark though.””
“So, how did you see the gunman’s face then?” he asked in a very snotty tone.
“There was a light above the back entrance door. It was shinning right on the group of men,” I answered with a raised eyebrow. Was this all he’s got?
“And how far away, would you say, you were from the scene you claim you saw so clearly?”
“Oh, I would say, four yards…five max.”
“Really? You expect us to believe that you were only four or five yards away and none of these men saw you?”
“Yes. I already said that I just peeked around the corner. I didn’t walk around it or anything. I could tell it wasn’t a friendly argument and so I didn’t want to get into the middle of it.”
“But you said you were going to help the man until you saw this gun,” this guy was seriously pushing my buttons!
“After I peeked around the corner and saw what was going on, yes, I then decided that I should help the poor guy out.” I shrugged my shoulders and glanced over at the guys who were sending small reassuring smiles my way.
“Alright, let’s SAY all of this is true,” he rolled his eyes at me, “How can you be sure it was my client you saw, and not someone who looked like my client?” I just stared at the guy for a minute, not really believing that he was asking such a dumb question.
“Answer the question, please,” the judge spoke up.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t think he was serious,” I snickered. “Um, I would say that I am sure it was him because of the huge scar on his right cheek and the funny flower and heart tattoo across his forehead.” The rest of the court burst into chuckles and snickers. AJ smiled widely at me and nodded his head with approval.
“And you are trying to tell me that no one else could POSSIBLY fit that description?”
“Well, I could see someone having a similar scar on their right cheek and I could see someone having a tattoo across their forehead. It’s just that I can’t see another person having that exact tattoo in that exact spot. I have a few tattoos myself and one of my best friends is covered in them,” I smiled towards AJ who stuck his tongue out at me. “Trust me when I say a tattoo like that is an original. Besides, how many men would have flowers and hearts tattooed on their forehead? Honestly?” The courtroom was filled with laughter again.
“Order! I will have order in this court or everyone will be made to leave!” the judge shouted and banged his gavel. The other guys were smiling at me. I knew that they were proud of me.
“I AM GOING TO HAVE YOU KILLED FOR THIS! YOU’RE NEXT YOU FUCKING GOD DAMN ASS HOLE! YOU’RE DEAD! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?” the defendant stood and lunged toward me as he screamed. I jumped up and scrambled out of the witness box as the man surged my way. The bailiffs were on him immediately and were slapping shackles on his feet.
Of course, he was convicted. He was given life without the possibility of parole. That didn’t help, seeing as the other three men were still out and about as free men. Now do you see? I was immediately approached and told that I would be put into the Witness Protection Program.