- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's been so long. I hope you guys are still interested in this. Hopefully, it won't be so long until the next update. Thanks for patiently waiting (well...there were a few impatient ones, too). *MUAH*
Another clue…all it was, was another damn clue. I know he said that, after opening the safe deposit box, I would know what to do…but, this was ridiculous. What was this guy’s obsession with Dr. Seuss anyways? Inside the box was a book…yes, a Dr. Seuss book…and on it was a note that simply said “Like this book, your pages are numbered.”

“What, the fuck, is that supposed to mean?!?” I screamed, tossing the book, to the floor. My temper was at the breaking point and I was fed up with the games.

“Why ‘Green Eggs and Ham’? What the hell does ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ have to do with anything?” AJ slumped against the floor.

“Some guy was in here, earlier today, and told me about a place that actually serves green eggs and ham. I wonder how they make it. Maybe they just use food coloring,” the woman, in the corner, spoke again.

“What? There’s a place that, actually, serves that?” I couldn’t believe it! Maybe these games weren’t so hard after all. But…why weren’t they?

“So…” AJ looked at her, expectantly, “where is this place?”

“Oh,” she looked up at us, “I don’t know. The guy was telling me about it, but I didn’t ask where it was at.”

“Awesome!” AJ shouted, in mock excitement.

“I wonder what our time frame is,” I sighed, picking the book up. I flipped through its pages and once I reached the last page, I saw it…‘You have one hour.’ “An hour.”

“Please, for the love of all things good in this world, tell us you have a phone book,” AJ crossed his arms, tilting his head, and looked at her for an answer.

“Of course!” she smiled and led us back, out to the main lobby. The dimness of the room reflected my emotions, bleak and uncertain. She plopped the large phone book onto the desk. AJ and I looked at each other, before flipping it open.

“Alright, Nicky,” AJ laid his hand on my shoulder. “Take a couple deep breaths. You start on the A’s and I’ll start with the B’s. There are a lot of restaurants, in this city, so we have our work cut out for us.”

“Okay…let’s get this done,” I sighed and ripped a page from the phone book. The woman started to protest, but I glared up at her, causing her to shut-up. I have no idea how many numbers I called! But finally, I struck gold…sort of.

“Hello? Pearl’s Diner.” A young male answered the phone.

“Uh, yes. Do you serve green eggs and ham?” Do you have the slightest clue, the reactions I had gotten, when I asked that? I had people laugh, hang up, swear, and yell at me! Everyone thought it was a prank call. Hell, I would have too, if I were them!

“Green eggs and ham? No.” At least he didn’t laugh his head off, at me. He just sounded confused. Then, I heard a commotion and shuffling, in the background.

“YES!!! Yes, we serve green eggs and ham!” A woman shouted, into the phone. The woman’s voice sounded strained and even panicked…that was a dead give away, that I found the right place.

“We do?” I heard the boy ask, in the background.

“YES, Matthew…we do! Please, sir, come on over and try them. It’s Pearl’s Diner…on Vine.”

“I will, thanks,” I glared at my cell, before snapping it shut. Hitting AJ’s arm, I signaled him, that I found the place. He, too, snapped his phone shut and jumped to his feet.

Stepping back onto the street, AJ hailed a cab. I let out a heavy sigh, as we slipped into the waiting yellow car. The cabbie drove off, headed in the direction of the café. Five minutes, into the ride, a female’s voice started reporting the news…

“The National State of Emergency is still in effect. Bomb threats continue to pour into police stations, fire houses, schools, and government buildings, nationwide, as the authorities are working, quickly, to sort through each of them. Several bombs have already been detonated, yet many leads are still coming up as empty threats. Nothing has been released as to who is behind these acts, of terrorism. So far, most of the detonated bombs have been in vacant buildings or buildings that have already been evacuated. However, just over an hour ago, a bomb was set off in a Post Office, killing 15 people.

“All schools have been released, for the day. State and federal buildings, also, have all been shut down, the employees sent home. Authorities recommend that people stay home, with their families, and avoid going out until these matters are resolved. The CIA and FBI are working closely with the authorities and bomb squads, to put a stop to the terrorist acts. We will continue to cover the progress, regarding this matter, please keep your radios on.”

“Damn,” AJ gasped, staring at the radio. “This is fucking crazy! How can a freaking gang and the Italian Mafia cause such mass mayhem? It doesn’t make sense…the President declaring National Emergency? How can these people have that much power? Something just doesn’t seem right.”

“None of this seems right, AJ. There has to be more, to the story…we’re missing something,” I sighed, as the cab stopped. I looked at the little diner. It was small and not very busy, at all. The only good news was that we were there on time. I tossed a couple 20’s at the man, and stepped onto the sidewalk.

“May I help you, dears?” The woman was in her mid-fifties, and wore one of those classic diner uniforms, complete with pink heels. I simply handed her the book. “Oh my!”

“Trust me,” AJ snorted, with a lopsided smirk, “‘Oh my’ doesn’t even begin, to cover it!”

“Be polite,” I, lightly, smacked his arm. “Can you help us out?”

“Unfortunately…yes. Right this way, darling. There was quite the burley man, in here, today. He said to be expecting you and that if I didn’t give you proper directions…well…” We followed her, through a set of swinging doors, and out into the back alley. “…here,” she whispered, “Take this.” She looked around, before slipping something into my hands. It only took a moment, for me, to realize that it was a gun. She kept walking, with us following closely. We reached the corner of the building, where she slipped something into AJ’s hand. I assumed that it was a gun, as well.

“Thanks, Marla,” I smiled, reading her name tag.

“You’re quite welcome, my dear. Now please, listen closely…” her voice was lowered to another whisper. “There’s a warehouse, three blocks, in that direction. That is where you need to go. But, after the first block, you will see four trash cans, on the right side of the alley. I had one of the buss boys take out the trash this afternoon, and I hid two boxes of bullets in the bag. It should be in the second trash can. Luckily, my husband keeps those firearms and bullets in the office. Poor, silly old coot is scared, to death, of a robbery.” The woman chuckled, as she mentioned her husband.

“Thank you so much, ma’am, and thank your husband too!” I, impulsively, gave the woman a hug.

“Yeah…we owe you,” AJ nodded, and actually gave her a hug, too. We smiled at her, before taking off, in the direction of the warehouse.

“There’s the trash,” I whispered, to AJ, as we came closer to the metal cans.

“I’ll watch…you dig.” AJ instructed. I wasn’t about to waste valuable time, just to argue, with him. So, I listened and I rummaged.

“Sure as shit,” I chuckled, pulling a white plastic bag out. Tearing the nasty plastic, I pulled out the two boxes, and handed him one. Quickly, we started walking toward the warehouse. In the distance, I heard another explosion.

“Damnit…is that one our fault?” AJ asked, referring to our set time frame. If we had broken our limit, it would be more lives that were taken, because of us. Well…not really because of us…I mean, technically it’s because of the other guys that are setting off the bombs…but you know what I mean. I would still feel bad, because if we’re on time…the bombs don’t go off. Does that make any sense? I sure hope so!

“It shouldn’t be,” I answered, looking at my watch. “We haven’t, quite, used the hour that the book allotted us. It would be a good idea, to pick up our pace, though.”

“Right.” AJ nodded. We started a half jog, as AJ pulled out his pack, of smokes. I just rolled my eyes, as I watched him try to light the cigarette. It wasn’t long, and I saw the warehouse. It looked abandoned. Taking in deep breaths, we walked closer, to it. Were we ready for the next ‘game’?