- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I want to take a sec and thank everyone who has been reading and an extra thanks to those who have been reviewing! I have gotten more feedback on this story than any of the others, so I have been working on it the most. Keep reading and I will keep updating! ;-) I hope you all like the new chapter!!! *big smiles*


~~***************~~
The club pulsed with loud music as we entered the front doors. I could feel the bass thumping in my chest as the three of us made our way to the crowded dance floor. My hips started to sway a bit as I bounced my head to the music. Dani already had a drink in her hand while Steph sipped on a bottle of water. Some guy came and dragged Dani further onto the dance floor leaving Steph and I on the side of it.
“Do you like dancing, JR?” she looked up at me.
“I’m not really that good at it, but yeah I LIKE to,” I answered sending her a smile.
“Can I ask you something a bit personal?” she spoke in my ear.
“Sure,” I shrugged. She pulled me down to her and spoke into my ear at a volume loud enough for me to hear but quiet enough that ONLY I could hear.
“Would you have to leave, if I told you that I knew who you are?” she asked then pulled away to look at me. I could feel the color drain from my face.
“I…I don’t know what you are talking about,” I shook my head trying to sound convincing.
“Okay, I will take that as a yes,” she grinned. “Forget I said anything and let’s go dance.” She took a hold of my hand and pulled me to the middle of the dance floor. She wrapped her arms around my neck and leaned up to my ear again. “Amazingly, I don’t think Dani has figured it out and your secret is safe with me.”
“Alright, but I am still not sure what you are going on about,” I leaned down to her ear this time.
“Sure you don’t, Nick…I mean Jonathan Reeve,” she smirked. I took a hold of her hand and drug her off the dance floor and outside.
“I needed some fresh air,” I mumbled as we stepped outside into the briskly cold air.
“So, I was right then?” she questioned and I looked up at her from my position on the cold cement. It was snowing and if it weren’t for the outside entryway that had a roof, we would be standing in it. We both shivered a bit as the sweat from our bodies evaporated into the cold air. I could see our breath as we spoke.
“When…how…I mean,” I shook my head.
“I kind of got a bit of a hunch when you first moved to the area but I didn’t know for sure…until now, that is,” she squatted down beside me. “I haven’t told anyone yet and you can trust that I won’t now, either,” she looked into my eyes.
“That kind of information could put you in danger. I am going to have to re-locate,” I said as I tore my gaze away from her.
“NO! Please, it is so nice having you around here. Things at the store are a lot nicer and I know Dani can be a bit obnoxious, but I have come to consider you a friend. Please, no one else ever has to know that I know anything.”
“It’s for your safety, I have to do it.”
“I knew I shouldn’t have said anything,” she sighed, “I was just hoping that I could be there for you as a friend. It must be hard for you and not having anyone to confide in must make it so lonely. All the hiding and then the tabloids have found you a couple times, already. I don’t want you to have to pick up and leave again. How many people have you been so far?” She raised an eyebrow at me. I licked my lips.
“This is the fourth,” I answered quietly.
“Well, JR, I am willing to take the risk. It’s up to you. If you want to leave that’s fine, but it shouldn’t be on my account.”
“I don’t want to put you in danger, Steph,” I looked up and met her eyes. I let out a long sigh.
“Whatever the case is, JR, I would like to enjoy the evening. We brought you here to have a good time, not sit in the cold debating things. I warn you, you better forget about everything right now because Dani will know something is up.”
“Do you want to continue our dance, then?”
“I would love to,” she smiled and held out a hand to help me up. Great, this is just what I needed. How do people keep recognizing me?
“This isn’t too bad of a club,” I stated as I swayed to the music.
“It’s the best we have around these parts,” she shrugged with a smile. I pulled her close to me and rested my hands on her hips as we danced along to the beat that rumbled the floor. “I thought you said you couldn’t dance.”
“Well, I guess I can a little bit, but I definitely suck at singing so I hope you guys don’t have any karaoke bars in the area,” I looked down at her with raised eyebrows.
“I hate karaoke.” She simply stated as she turned her back to me. She was only 5’5” and like I said…VERY attractive. I wrapped my arms around her and held her to me as we danced. Sure, my legs were a bit tired from having to bend so low at the knees in order to bring me down closer to her height, but I was enjoying myself quite a bit.

It was 3 o’clock in the morning before the girls dropped me off. Dani was passed out cold, in the back seat. The woman had gotten pretty wasted that night. I walked to my front door and Steph had followed. I unlocked my door but was still standing on the porch. I turned to face her.
“So, will I see you at work tomorrow?” she questioned. Ah, yes, nothing like bringing my mind back to a place where it didn’t want to be. How was I supposed to decide, this time? She said she would keep it a secret, but could I really trust her? Could I risk putting her in that kind of danger? Ugh! This WPP thing royally sucks!
“Steph…” I trailed off, not really knowing what to say.
“At least take a day or two to think about it before deciding? I’m sorry I said anything. I just…” she shrugged her shoulders and looked at her feet. “I thought you could use a friend. Not a fake one but a real one. It doesn’t matter who you are…you’re my friend and my co-worker. As far as I am concerned, IF you stay and IF you decide you want a friend, anything you tell me stays between us…no matter what. All I wanted was to offer you the chance to have someone to confide in, not to make things worse. Okay?”
“I appreciate that, I really do,” I sighed. “You have to see it from my side, too. What if one of the creeps that want me dead find out where I am? What if they come after you? What if…” her finger came up to rest on my lips.
“What? Nick Carter lives in this area?” her green eyes grew wide in mock surprise, “Oh, I wish so badly that I could meet him! It’s too bad I was never able to make it to a concert. I would die for the chance to meet the man,” she looked up at me. Obviously she was telling me that she would cover for me. “If anything like that ever happened I would have to immediately call my best friend, JR, and tell him the news.”
“What?” I looked at her in surprise. Was she implying that she would not only cover for me but warn me of impending danger as well? Okay, so this complicates my decision a bit. Steph looked over her shoulder to check and make sure Dani was still passed out…of course, she was.
“Well, JR, we are both on the schedule for morning, so I better get moving. I sure hope to see you at work, JR. If not, well, good luck,” she pulled me into a firm hug.
“I have a lot to think about,” I told her. She was starting to walk away but paused at the sound of my voice. Her head nodded in acknowledgement. “But,” I lightly touched her shoulder and spun her to face me, “I am thankful that I got to know you and have you as a friend.”
“Me too. Good night…” she began and then leaned close to me ear finishing her sentence in a whisper, “…Nick.” She kissed my cheek lightly and headed to the car. Slowly, she pulled out of my driveway and waved before heading back to the small town.
I entered my cabin and collapsed on the couch. My head dropped back to rest on the back of the couch. What the hell was I supposed to do? Only one person has recognized me and al the things she said made me wonder if I should trust her and stay. I mean, is she didn’t tell anyone, how else would anyone know? But, then again, I haven’t really even known her that long. Some people say one thing then do the opposite. She didn’t seem to be that type, but how could I know for sure?
After a half hour of thinking in circles, I decided to write up a message for Aje. He could give me some good advice. I hope so, at least. I wasn’t going to get much sleep tonight, that was for sure.