- Text Size +
The stewardess backed out of the bathroom, her face pale and her eyes welling up with tears. She had a hand covering her mouth and she staggered against the wall behind her. When her back hit the wall, she fell to her knees, then to her bottom, gasping and shaking. Nick rushed past her and on into the bathroom as AJ stooped to make sure she was okay, taking hold of her hand, and rubbing it gently. Tears streamed down the poor woman's face as Agent Bryant ran by, following Nick. "It's okay," AJ told the stewardess as she clutched his hand tightly, shaking her head and squeaking back sobs.

Agent Bryant found himself face to face with a horrific scene when he stepped into the bathroom. It was a tiny little thing, like a double sized outhouse in a poor campground. Nick was wide eyed like a deer in headlights. Bryant took a deep breath to keep himself composed, then barked at Nick, "Go get a cloth from a stewardess. No, get two. Now." Nick bolted, glad to have an excuse to run like hell from the room. Bryant turned back to the scene and closed his eyes, before kneeling beside Ivana. "Agent Focque," he called her, his voice gentle, "Agent Focque." Her eyelids barely fluttered as the blood blossomed further into a crimson flower on her once crisp white shirt, right over her right left breast. Bryant took a deep breath and ran a hand along her chest, feeling for where the bullet might've penetrated, to see how dangerous the situation was. It was close, he decided. He glanced at the door. "Agent McLean," he shouted, "Call for a doctor, there must be one on board... Find one."

"Yes, okay," AJ called back without looking in. He got up, reassured the stewardess he'd be back and found another one, begging her to page for any doctor on flight to come to the latrine in first class.

Bryant felt Ivana's pulse, it was weak. He frowned, "Agent Focque, you are not going out on me now."

She opened her eyes a slight bit, "I didn't mean--" blood bubbled up, and she choked, coughing and sending blood to the floor in spatter marks from her mouth. Bryant swallowed hard, this was not good. He'd seen this before.

"Didn't mean what?" he asked carefully. He rested a hand behind Ivana's head, supporting her so the blood wouldn't pool in her throat and end up in her lungs or something. She began to cry, silently, but the tears came just the same. "Didn't mean what, Ivana?"

Nick arrived back in the room with a whole bowl full of damp cloths. "I took 'em all," he said, putting the bowl down next to Bryant.

Bryant took one of the cloths and rested it on Ivana's forehead, calming her, then slowly unbuttoned her blouse about halfway and laid one over the wound in her chest. "You should've been wearing your vest, Agent," he murmured.

"I- I didn't think I- that I needed to," Ivana struggled to get the words out. Her eyes started to flutter shut.

"No, don't sleep," Bryant snapped. He looked at the door. "Where the hell is McLean? Carter, go find a doctor, you seem to be more efficient." Nick rushed out again. Bryant turned to Ivana. "Agent, what didn't you mean?"

Ivana looked up at Bryant for a long pause, "I didn't mean for this to happen!" She began crying.

"For what to happen?" Agent Bryant asked, confused, "I know you didn't mean to get shot, nobody does, but--"

"The murders," Ivana sobbed, "I didn't mean for the murders to happen. He wasn't supposed to kill them."

Agent Bryant's heart began slamming in his chest. "Who? Who killed them, Ivana?"

"Jason's hit man," she cried, "He wasn't supposed to kill them, he was only supposed to make them stop..."

"Who hired him?" Bryant asked.

"Jason hired him," Ivana cried, "For me."

"Why?" he asked. She was shaking and her skin was growing cold. Bryant switched cloths on her chest.

Ivana's face crumpled, "Jason... Jason was trying- to - to- to protect me." Bryant stared into her eyes, which were becoming increasingly unfocused. "Vince -- Vince Lemming, he.. he was my exboyfriend. He hit me. And Marc.. Marc Brushill was his best friend. They- they both..." she shook, her breath coming out in gasps, "They hurt me," she explained, "Jason was- was trying- to -- to help me."

"What about Amanda, Lorriane and Eliza?" Bryant asked.

"Amanda saw him kill Marc," she gasped. "Eliza was Amanda's step- stepmother. She-- she was going to- to tell the authorities about it. And-- and Lorriane -- I don't- I don't know. I don't know," she was sobbing, "I can't.. I can't stop him. I've tried, I tried. Jason - Jason has no control."

Agent Bryant's blood felt like ice running through his veins. "What about the thing with Paris Hilton?"

"I- I--" Ivana coughed, choking again on blood. It fell from her mouth, leaving a crimson trail on her chin. Bryant swiped it softly with one of the cloths. "I did it. I did it because-- because I-- I was jealous."

"Jealous?" Bryant looked surprised. "Of what?"

"She was hit-hitting on AJ."

"...McLean?" Bryant asked.

Ivana struggled to nod. She closed her eyes, "Jason-- Jason sa- said.. said that- that the killer... He- he hacked Paris's computer. He erased the tapes, Bryant... he deleted everything off her hard drive. She can't help anymore. The tapes - the tapes were too clear. They had his face in them, he couldn't-- couldn't let us see them. He's professional, Bryant."

Suddenly a stout, balding man rushed into the room, followed by Nick and AJ. He was carrying a black case and was pulling a stethoscope out of it, blowing warm breath onto the cold metal piece. Bryant moved out of the way as the doctor got to work on Ivana. She looked up at Agent Bryant, "I'm sorry," she whispered, "I'm so sorry."