- Text Size +
The folder dropped onto Bryant's desk with a heavy thump. "There's been another one," the officer dropping the folder told him grimly, "Overseas again. Chief thinks you ought to go over this time."

Bryant groaned and reached for the folder. He opened it and looked at the gruesome photographs paper clipped to the briefing from the European police squad who was handling the case there. Another headless, female victim, marred by fire and left naked in her home with a high blood-alcohol content. He shuddered as he flipped through the pictures, his stomach turning at the thought that the girl, who had no doubt been quite pretty when she was alive, could've been his seventeen year old daughter just as easily as anyone else's. This case was bad -- worse than the other four headless victims he'd seen in the last five months.

"You okay, Boss?" the officer asked as Bryant's face paled.

Bryant nodded, "Yeah." He closed the folder and tossed it back onto his desk, rubbing his eyes. "I'm just overwhelmed by this whole Masquerade Murderer thing... You realize we've been trailing this sicko for six months now?"

"Has it been that long?" the officer asked.

"Yep. Six months, six victims. Two guys, four girls," Bryant shook his head, "And no clues whatsoever."

The Masquerade Murderer was a serial killer whose case Bryant was in charge of solving. Ever since it had landed on his desk, it'd been the bane of his existence. The Masquerader's calling card 4 out of 6 times had been decapitating the victim and burning them nearly beyond recognition. This had only been done to the female victims. The male victims... well... Bryant squirmed just thinking of what had been chopped off them. The first four cases -- both men and two of the girls -- had taken place in the United States. But the most recent two had been over in Europe. One in France and now this one was apparently in Germany. There seemed to be no method to the maddness, only a bloody trail left in the wake of the killer.

Bryant had been up for what seemed like days, slurping down cup after cup of coffee trying to stake awake. He'd been pouring himself over the documents with all the gorey details from autopsie reports and looking at photographs that he'd have burned into his mind, reserved for only the most frightening of nightmares. In some ways, despite the high rise in pay he'd received, he sort of regretting doing such a great job on the mob case a year and a half before. He'd become rather famous in the agency for his apprehension of the bomb-mistress Isa Romera and her father's most infamous henchmen... as well as the Boss himself. Because of the fame and great work he'd done there, he'd been given this high profile case to deal with, expected to be able to solve it quickly. But somehow, this killer had managed to elude him time and time again.

"Well... Find an agent on my roster who's been to Europe," Bryant requested, "One that's willing to go over there with me on short notice," he added. The officer saluted and shot out of the office to follow his orders. Bryant sighed and sat back in his swivel chair, closing his eyes and waiting for the pee-on to return with the information he'd requested. He was too worried to relax, though. He'd bee hearing rumors about the case being pulled from under him and given to a new agent in light of his inability to close it and book a suspect. That'd be enough to erase that raise....

The officer hustled back into the office and dropped a page onto Bryant's desks. "Only two, sir."

"Two?" Bryant looked at the sheet. "You've got to be kidding me. This is it? Where's Agent Jones?"

"Out, sir," the officer replied, "On maternity leave, sir."

Bryant sighed, "Okay. Thank you." As the officer left, Bryant snatched the phone off it's cradle. "Let's see here..." he looked at the two names scribbled before him. "Well... Might as well pick up where this all started." He dialed the number quickly and waited patiently for an answer.

-----

"GIVE ME MY FREAKIN' PHONE, YOU DILDO!" Nick screamed, leaping at AJ. The phone vibed loudly against the tile floor of the bus as AJ slid it down the entire length of the bus to Howie, who snatched it up. Nick fumed. "C'mon you guys, this isn't funny, damn you!" He struggled to his feet after slamming AJ to the carpet and turned to Howie. "Howard, I'm serious. You do SO not want me jumping on you, I'd friggin crush you like a bug. Give. Me. My. Phone. Now. Or I'll flatten your Mexican ass."

Howie giggled and shook his head, "Come get it if you want it."

"Careful you don't turn him on," AJ intoned with a snicker. Nick leaped at Howie, just as Howie chucked the phone right over Nick's shoulder to AJ, who dove to catch it, slamming into the door that went to the living area of the tour bus. He slid to the floor, clutching the phone like he'd just caught a football in overtime. Howie and Nick both fell to the floor with a loud "oof!" from Howie as Nick flattened him.

"You GUYS!" Nick yelled, whiney voice cutting through. The phone beeped as he missed the incoming call and it deferred to voicemail.

AJ laughed and struggled to his feet. "You worried your girlfriend might not call you back?" AJ taunted.

Nick's jaw was set, "I don't HAVE a girlfriend, you guys, come on..."

"Oh yeah?" AJ opened the sidekick, "Let's see who just left you a voice mail then, shall we?"

"Shut up! Gimme the damn phone!" Nick whined, trying to sound demanding but failing miserably. "Gimme it!"

Brian opened the living quarters door. "What in the name of God are ya'll doing out here?" he said, his Kentucky showing. He eyed the three of them standing there in the hall, Nick looking pissed as AJ dialed the voicemail password and hit the speaker phone button.

"You have one new message. First voice message," said the automated computer woman.

"Gimme iiiiiitttttt," Nick whined loudly.

"Hello Nick, it's Agent Bryant from the FBI-NYC," came the deep voice from the phone, "It's like.. I don't know, three, I guess, here right now. I'm not sure where you are, but... Well, give me a call when you can, okay? Thanks."

AJ looked disappointed, "Aw damn it, it's not a girl."

Howie sighed, "Well there goes that fun."

Brian raised his eyebrows, "Were you guys fucking around with Nick again?"

AJ giggled. "Nope, I swear we weren't doing THAT with Nick."

Brian rolled his eyes. "Give him back his phone, right now, or I'll..." he paused.

"Tell on me?" AJ supported, laughing.

Brian shrugged. "I'll think of something equally painful to make you endure."

"Peroxide in the shampoo," Howie said in a stage whisper.

Nick snatched his phone from AJ's hands, "Gimme that, loser."

"Hey now," Brian poked Nick, "Be polite."

"Okay mom," Nick answered, rolling his eyes. He crawled into the tiny bunk he'd commendeered as his own. He pulled the curtain shut and opened his missed calls list, hitting Bryant's number and held the phone to his ear. A moment later, Agent Bryant answered.

"Bryant's desk."

"Hey dude," Nick said, "It's Nick. Sup?"

Bryant paused on his end, hesitating. Did he really want someone who said 'sup' for his sidekick in such a serious case? He had to force the memory of what a great job Nick had done before, and what serious dedication he'd shown. "Well, to cut to the chase," Bryant answered, "I've got a case... a big one. And.. well... I need your help."

"MY help?" Nick's voice pitched with excitement. This could be his chance to prove, yet again, to the fellas that he was capable of taking care of himself, and that he deserved respect. "Dude, I can sooo help you." He paused. "What do I gotta do?"

"Fly with me to Europe," Bryant answered, "I'll brief you on the case on the way there."

"Europe?" Nick paused, "Europe. Heh."

"Is there a problem, Agent Carter?" Bryant questioned.

He'd been thinking that the fellas would freak knowing he was going to leave the whole COUNTRY by himself. But screw them! Nick laughed, "Nope. Not a problem at all. Where do you want me to meet you?"

"Well... LaGuardia probably would be the best," he answered, "Think you can be there by tomorrow morning?"

Nick mentally ran over his day's schedule. "Probably," he replied with a grin. "I'm really excited right now," he told Bryant, "Thanks for calling me."

Bryant decided it'd be best to tell a white lie. "You were the first name that came to mind when I needed help."

Nick grinned, pleased with himself. "Sweet! I'ma saaaaaaaave the day. Again!"