- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

 

Sometimes things turn out... weird.

Life, in general, is weird. But I've slowly learned to enjoy it, and take everyday as a blessing. I'm still learning and I don't think you ever really stop. Especially when you have a kid, you know... you gotta take things day by day.

I watched Daisy, our Golden Retriever, circle around until finally finding a place to lay down. Her ears were perked up, and she quickly got right back up and ran straight to the door. Her tail wagging furiously. She must be back, I smiled to myself and quickly put out my cigarette in the ashtray.

I walked over to the door, patted Daisy on the head quickly, and opened the door. I smiled at her running towards the house. Her pigtails were bouncing up and down as she ran, and she had this big ass grin on her face that you can't help but love.

I kneeled down on the front porch, and extending my arms out. She ran straight into me and grasped me in a hug. I squeezed her tightly, "I missed Daddy's Addy!"

"Daddy, look...," all I could see was a piece of paper being shoved in my face. I had to sit back a moment to see what it was and I took it from her.

"You didn't color this...," I said sarcastically, and grinned.

"Yes I did!"

I loved when she would get all offensive, it was hilarious.

"I don't believe you!" I was kidding, once again.

"Daaadddy, I did!" she was getting mad now.

"I'm just kiddin', baby. I believe you," I took a look at the picture once again. It was just a bunch of scribbled markers on a sheet of paper but she was so proud, and it was cute.

"It's beautiful, hon. I think we should hang this on the fridge."

Her smile lit up, and it was then that I realized my mom was standing behind her.

"Was she good for ya, Ma?" I asked, and hugged her.

"An angel, as always," my mom smiled at me.

"Hmm, I don't know about that!" I rubbed the top of Adelynn's head and she just shook me off with her hand.

She ran past me and straight into the house, dropping her bag that she was carrying right on the floor and throwing her shoes off. She cuddled with Daisy for a minute and then made herself comfortable on the couch. I just shook my head and laughed.

"So how are things?" my mom looked at me with concern.

"I mean... they're...," I sighed, "They're fine. Things are great."

Okay, that was a lie. But I wasn't about to tell my mother certain things, especially when Addy was sitting right in the next room.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"I'm fine, Ma. No worries," I shrugged.

"Okay. Remember to call me, alright, honey?" she kissed my cheek and I gave her a quick hug, "I love you."

"Love you, too," I waved as she walked back to her car and drove off.

I sighed and closed the door behind me. Adelynn was already laughing at something on the TV and I went over and picked her up, then threw her over my shoulder. She started cracking up, even more when I started to tickle her belly all over.

"Daddy, stop! Stop!" she giggled away, she hated being tickled. "Stop!"

I laughed and gave her one last tickle before putting her back down on the couch. I smiled at her, "What do you want to do today, little girl?"

"Hmmm... I want... Chuckacheese!" her face lit up.

She had always called it 'Chuckacheese,' even though it was really called Chuck E. Cheese. You know... one of those really annoying little kid places where there's tons of kids running around stinkin' up the joint and you end up leaving with a massive headache. But the pizza rocks. Sounds fun.

"Sure, baby."

She cheered, "Yay!"

"Let me go get ready."



I looked through my piles of clothes. I really need to get Dana living here full-time again. Dana had been my nanny, or housekeeper, for a little bit but once the group decided to take six months off for a break, I told her just to come once a week and if I needed a babysitter.

Right now, I'm missing all the neatly folded t-shirts, socks, underwear, shorts... she was always very organized.

"Daddy?"

I turned my head and saw Addy walking into my room.

"Yeah?"

"Can I pwweeasse bring Josh?"

I didn't like that kid. He was a four year old little boy named Josh from her little daycare center that she sometimes goes to. He was a brat. That's the only word for him. But they always got along. How can I say no to a face like that? I looked at her pouting face.

"Sure," I sighed.

I sat down on the end of the bed, looking through the shirts piled up in the middle of it. Then Adelynn came and sat on my lap, I looked down at her and smiled, then pushed a piece of hair out of her eyes.

"Dad, what's this mean?" she pointed to the tattoo on my forearm.

No matter how many times we went over this... she would still always ask about each and every tattoo on my body. I don't think she understood really what a tattoo was.

"That was my old nickname... AJiggity."

She laughed, "That's funny!"

She then poked my bellybutton, "What's that?"

"Just a number."

I laughed on the inside. Yeah just a number.

"Oh," she then pointed to my neck, "What's that one?"

"Well, that's a skull," I smiled and I guess she was bored with my tattoos because she hopped off my lap.

"Alright, which one?" I held out a red t-shirt with some weird design on it, and a vintage Mickey Mouse shirt. I knew which one she would pick.

"That one!" she pointed straight towards the Mickey Mouse shirt.

"How could I have guessed?" I acted surprised and she just giggled.

Then I slipped my pants on, and threw a hat overtop of my head.

"Off to Chuck E. Cheese...," I picked her up.