- Text Size +
"I'm sorry, AJ."

I looked up from my magazine that I was reading and faced Kevin, his pleading eyes staring into mine.

"I know ya are," I replied, harshly. More harsh than I wanted it to come out.

Kevin sighed, shrugged, and then took a seat on the end of my hotel bed. "What else do you want me to say?"

I put my magazine down, and stood up from my chair, "I dunno, Kevin.... I just... that's fucked up. She's a four year old little girl. My little girl. And you, of all people, should not make her cry."

"I know. I'm sorry, AJ. I really am. I was having a shitty day, and I didn't mean to come out and yell like that. I knew it was a mistake the second after I raised my voice."

I just nodded. I forgave him... I mean, it wasn't life threatening. No harm was done. Addy had forgotten all about it, so I should too. He was the one who, afterall, had pretty much saved my life. Many times. Back in the day, if it wasn't for Kevin, I probably wouldn't be alive today. So I figured I'd let this go.

"So when did this happen?" Kevin chuckled as he shook his head.

"What happen?" I questioned.

"This," he held his hands out, pointing at me, "You becoming the big brother, the responsible one... giving ME a lecture."

I grinned and shrugged, "Nah, you'll always be the big brother."

"Where's the little one, anyways?"

"Brian's hotel room with Baylee," then I laughed a little bit, "Who would've thought... when we were getting started that it would be like this. When I was the little 15 year old kid, on the road, having a ball, turning into a druggie alcholic and now look at us..."

"I know, it's crazy," Kevin added in.

"We've got two little Backstreet kids on the road with us... you've got a wife and Brian's happily married, and Howie's got a beautiful fiancee."

All the sudden I heard stomps coming through the room and I got up to see Baylee chasing Addy through the suite. She was screaming as she ran along and Baylee made monster noises, following close behind her.

"Woah, woah..." I laughed and ran to go join along in the fun.

I acted like I was going to run into her and she screamed again. All it sounded like was a big giggle fit. I fell on the floor and layed on my back, and Addy crawled on top of me. Then Baylee, who was a pretty big boy, climbed on top of me aswell.

"I got you, Uncle AJ!" he shouted, pretending to punch me. Thank God he was pretending, I laughed.

"Oh, careful, careful," I blocked my crotch from getting any permanent damage from the two monsters themselves.

"Alright, alright....that will be enough, children," I turned my head and saw Brian pretending to be all stern and strict, which I knew he was completely kidding.

He laughed, "Baylee... come on, bud. Stop killin' your uncle AJ, he's too old for that."

Addy and Baylee both jumped off of me and I breathed heavily, "Excuse me... Baylee, you know your daddy there is even older than me."

Baylee pointed at Brian and laughed, and then Brian started tickling him.

I looked at Adelynn, all tired and out of breath from playing her little heart out. I smiled, this is what life was really all about. My family. This, right here, is my life. And I love it.