- Text Size +
"What do you think your laughing at, little one?" I smiled and knudged Addy.

"Your funny, Daddy!"

"Why am I so funny?" I asked.

"Your face is funny..."

"Well tell me something new," I laughed, then I felt my face and remembered I shaved off most of my goatee. "Ohh... that's right. Daddy shaved his mustache off. You noticed, huh?"

"You look different!" she giggled.

Well I didn't realize it was that funny.

I patted my lap and she climbed up in it, "So, how do you like Stephanie?"

"She's cool... she can draw good!"

"Can she?" I looked down at her cute little face.

Daisy came walking into the living room and laid underneath our feet. Addy's feet were hanging off the couch, because they couldn't reach the ground and the dog licked her toes.

She started giggling away, "Stop, Daisy! Stop!"

I watched her giggle for a couple minutes but finally shooed the dog off of her feet. I held her close and kissed her forehead, "So... you like Stephanie?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Why, Daddy?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, baby. Just making sure you like her."

"Will you draw this for me?" she held out her kid's book and I looked at the character. I sighed, "Maybe you better save this one for your uncle Nicky. I can make ya some stick figures?"

She just grunted and climbed off my lap, "You never draw, Daddy."

I laughed, "Give me a break... I do everything for you. Don't even tell me I never draw for you."

She walked upstairs pouting and I just shook my head. She would have her moments sometimes and throw temper tantrums like that just out of the blue. I always just laughed 'em off because she would come downstairs ten minutes later and be back to normal.

I heard a knock on the door, and got up from my spot on the couch. It was Dana, thank God.

"Dana!" I greeted her, "Thank God!"

"What did you do now, Alex?" she crossed her arms.

I just shrugged, "Nothing. Just was looking forward to your wonderful dinner tonight... been eating take-out so much."

"What did I tell you about that?" she invited her self in and closed the door behind her, "You need cook good meals for your daughter."

She said 'daughter' funny, and other certain words would come out cute because of her Spanish accent.

"Hey I do cook for her!" I defended myself in a humorous way, "I mean like grilled cheeses, hamburger helper, mac & cheese.. that kind of shi.. crap."

She just smiled and nodded, "What would you like tonight?"

She had already started shuffling and rearranging in the kitchen, and I took a seat on the barstool to watch and think about what I wanted to eat.

"Cook whatever. That chicken stuff you do is always excellent, and I'm probably expecting a little, uh, company."

"A woman, eh?" she grinned.

I could tell my face got a little flush, but it wasn't as if I was embarrased. I was more embarrased for the fact that she probably thought I was some damn pimp with a new woman all the time.

"Yes, a woman. Just a friend. From a long time ago... I met her when I was around 15."

"Ah, yes, one of those."

I just looked at her and didn't ask anymore questions. I didn't really know what she meant by that.

She stopped when she was doing and I saw her thinking. "Ah... Alex. I have your video you wanted. For your... what do you call it? For your video camera."

"Oh, the blank DVD?"

"Yes, that."

"Thanks a bunch, Dana."

"It's over in that bag by the front door. I remembered you saying you needed more tape."

"I did," I got up off the barstool and over to the front door. I started digging through the plastic bag and found it.

I took it and jogged up the stairs, then quickly put it in the video camera. I tip-toed into Addy's room and saw her playing with her Barbies. I smiled to myself and hit the 'record' button on the camera.

She was making the Barbie dolls talk.

"You don't have a mommy either? Everyone else usually does. I want a mommy sometimes, too. All the other girls in daycare have mamas. I don't know why I don't, I just don't know."

My smile quickly faded and I turned the camera off, just to try to listen to her for a minute.

"My friend Briana has a nice mommy. She says its weird to only have one parent. I didn't think it was weird, did you, Barbie? I thought I was 'sposed to only have a daddy."

Sadness washed over me, and I just bit my lip because I wanted to go in and hug her. But I thought it might make her more upset, so I tried to let it go. And I just tip-toed back out of the room, and back down the stairs. I needed to get her a mommy, or atleast a woman in her life.