- Text Size +
I decided to make a trip to my mom's house while Addy was at daycare. She was constantly calling me and wanting me to come over and visit, and I needed her right now. As much as I hated asking for help, I didn't know what to do with myself. Ever since I heard Addy in her room the other day, I'd been worried as shit.

I get myself worked up over dumb stuff that I shouldn't. But I've felt like screaming for the past couple of days and just letting everything out - all my frustrations. I didn't know what to do anymore these days. I couldn't find a good girl, I was trying to be the best father I could be but I always feel like I'm not doing good enough.

I pulled into my mom's driveway and got the key from under the mat to unlock the door.

"Mom?" I called out as I closed the door behind me.

"Mom?" I yelled once again.

"Alex!" she appeared from out of the kitchen, "What are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you."

She walked up and grasped me in a hug. And for the first time in a long time, I held on to her tightly for a long while. It wasn't the usual quick hello hug.

"What's wrong?" she looked into my eyes, "Your eyes... your worried."

She could always tell. Ever since I can remember, she could look at my eyes and see if something was wrong.

"I... I don't know," I told her, "That's the thing."

I walked over and sat myself on her couch, my fist was clenched in a ball as I just thought about to even say. The truth was, I didn't know what I had come here for. I didn't know what I wanted to say, or what I wanted her to say.

"I heard Addy playing with Barbies the other night... she was talking and saying she had no mommy and she wanted one and her friend told her it was weird to not have one and..."

She sat down next to me and placed her hand on mine, "Honey, your fine."

"No, I'm not fine... I'm fucking not and it's pissing me off. Why am I not fine? I don't understand. It was a simple thing... it's no wonder she wants a mom. I just never expected it or something, I don't know. We've been just us two for so long, and I try to accept a woman in my life but I can't. No one's EVER good enough! I find the prettiest, nicest, smartest women and I always screw up! Look at the mother of my child for Christ's sake!"

"Calm down, Alex. I understand what your saying," she squeezed my hand, "But look how far you've come. Look at your life. Really sit back and look at your life. Can you tell me your not happy with it?"

I just shook my head.

"And yes, Claire was... physco but look what came out of it. My beautiful granddaughter."

"I worry about that sometimes... about how she'll be when she grows up. I hope it's nothing like her mom."

"You can't worry so much about that stuff, Alex. Just let her be who she is. She's four years old, she'll grow into herself. I think she'll be an amazing woman one day just because of the man who raised her," she smiled and I gave her one back.

"You don't need a woman in your life as much as you think you do. You've always thought that, since you were 17 years old. You've always felt like you needed to be in a relationship."

"But for Addy..."

"Don't worry about Addy," she added in, "She's perfectly fine with just you. Believe me."

I smiled, "If you say so."

"So when your ready to be in a relationship, go for it. But don't do it just to find Adelynn a mom. She needs two happy people in her life."

I got up from my spot on the couch and gave my mom a kiss on the cheek, "Thanks, Mama."

"I'm just glad you actually came to me."

"It took alot, so you should be glad," I winked and she just grinned.

"I'm going to pick up Addy at her school now," I told her, "I needed to relax." I took a deep breath and picked up my keys.

"Love you, mom," I began walkng towards the door.

"I love you, too."

I feel like I got worked up for nothing at all. I hate how my mom does that to me. She makes me feel like I was fine to begin with, and never should've worried about it in the first place. I shrugged, whatever she does works because I feel so much more relaxed now.

I hopped in my car, and began to drive off to pick up the little girl that causes me all this worry. I chuckled to myself.