- Text Size +
"Happy birthday!!" I ran into Addy's room, early in the morning, with a birthday hat on my head.

She started rolling around in her bed, since she was just waking up, and she peeked open her eyes and grinned at me.

"Happy birthday to yooouuu," I started singing to her, "Happy birthday to Addyyyy. Happy biiiirrtthhdaayy to you and you and you and you," she started giggling as each time I poked her in the stomach. I always had my own spin on the Happy Birthday song.

She laughed and I bended over and gave her a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, "Happy birthday, you big five year old."

"I'm five!" she screamed.

"Yes you are, sweetie. Are you ready for your big party tonight?"

"Who coming?"

"Well, let's see... Uncle Nick, Brian, Kevin, Howie and Grandma, Baylee, Stephanie's gonna come, too. And I think Nick will bring his girl."

"What you mean his girl?"

I laughed, sometimes I talk to her like she's a little adult already.

"Nick's girlfriend. Or... flavor of the week," I grinned, knowing she had no idea what I was talking about.

"Oh," she replied, confused.

"So let's get you up, give you a bath, get you dressed, and we'll get ready for the big day."

"Yay!" she jumped out of bed.

I went downstairs, while she started getting herself dressed, and I called up Brian.

"Hey, did you get the cake yet?"

"Yes, I did. I got chocolate cake with vanilla icing, and it says Happy Birthday Addy on it. Is that good?" he asked.

"Perfect, her favorite."

"Alright, cool... see ya later then."

"See ya."

"Oh wait," Brian quickly interjected.

"Yeah?"

"I got her one of those life-size Barbies... does she have one of them yet?"

I just laughed, "Nope."

"Ok, good. See ya later."

I went over to sat down on the couch when I heard Addy screaming my name, "Dadddyy!!"

I sighed, I just sat down. "Yesss?" I yelled back up to her.

"I don't have no pants!" she shouted from the top of the stairs.

"Let me help you get ready..." I started walking upstairs.

____________________

Me, Howie, Nick, Brian and Kevin all sang Happy Birthday to her in harmony and we all dug into her cake. It had kind of become a ritual for us, all of her birthdays we would sing it in harmony to her. All nice and pretty, you know. Except one year Howie wasn't there to sing the high notes, but it worked out either way.

"Wanna open your presents?" I asked her.

"Yes!" she cheered.

I guided her to the big leather chair, which she sat in all to herself, and I handed her the first gift.

"This one's from..." I read the tag, "From Steph."

I looked over at Stephanie and gave her a look like 'what'd you get her?' She just grinned slyly and shrugged. I didn't know if she really knew what she liked and whatnot, but I was happy she got her a present.

"Daddy! LOOK!" she screamed, "A Barbie kareokee machine!"

I smiled, "Awesome, baby."

I gave Stephanie a shrug, "You did alright."

She finished opening up her presents over the next half and hour, and then we all just kind of hung around. Kevin and Howie were having a beer and, to be honest, it made me really crave one. I wanted to be able to just sit around and socially drink a beer, and I couldn't.

Everyone ended up leaving after a couple hours, and we all said our goodbyes. Except Stephanie. She was still here, and I was happy about that. Me and her were just sitting at my bar, chatting about random stuff.

"Daddy, I'm tired..." I felt Addy tugging on my leg.

I looked at my watch and noticed it was already 8 o'clock. I leaned over and lifted her up on my lap, "Your cute, you know that?"

"I know!" she giggled.

"Don't be so modest..." I kissed her forehead.

"She's aloud to be modest," Stephanie cut in, "She's beautiful."

Addy's face got all flush. She gets embarrased so easily.

"Alright, bed time, little one," I helped her off the barstool and began to lead her upstairs.

"I'll be back," I told Stephanie.


When I was tucking Adelynn in, she grabbed my face with both of her hands. I smiled as she squeezed my cheeks. "Is Stephanie sleeping over?"

"She might be, she might not be."

"Daddy, I don't want her to. Then I can't climb into bed with you if I'm scared."

"Yes you can, sweetie. I don't think Steph will be sleeping in my bed," I chuckled to myself.

"Ok, daddy. Night night."

I kissed her good-night and went back downstairs to be with Stephanie a little more. When I went to sit down next to her, I saw her move her beer bottle away from me.

"You know... you can drink. It's not a big deal," I shrugged, "It only bothers me sometimes. On bad days."

"I just... I wanna be respectful to you, Aje. I'm not gonna drink around you."

I just shrugged.

"Are you sleeping over tonight?" I asked her.

"If you want me to," she smiled, "Of course I will."

"I want you to."

That was the truth, I really wanted her to sleep over. I really wanted her to sleep with me, to be honest. But whichever way works, I smirked.