- Text Size +
I don't like nights like this.

The lonely nights where I can't go to sleep, I'm bored and restless, and I end up staring at the ceiling all night or somethin'. I got too many thoughts jumbled up in my little mind.

I sighed and threw the covers off of me. Midnight snack, I guess.

I rummaged through all the cabniets looking for something to eat. Out of all this shit in my pantry you would think I'd find something but it's nothing I'm craving. Plus, it's pitch black dark through the whole house except the tiny light coming from above the oven.

"Shit," I cursed to myself.

I had dropped something, and it had landed on my toe.

"God damnit," I muttered, once again to no one in particular.

I'm not even hungry, nevermind. I walked back up the stairs and was headed for my room but on the way I peeked into Adelynn's room. A smile formed on my lips. Her small body was moving up and down and a light snore was heard. I tip-toed in there to get a better look at her.

I can't believe she's almost four. The years flew by.

I crawled into her bed, on the other side of her, and wrapped my arm around her. She was the only reason for... everything. She was so peaceful while she slept. Like a little angel.

She had been exhausted from playing at Chuck E. Cheese all day. And tomorrow Josh is coming over again. Lucky me.

I dozed off. I just yawned and decided I didn't have any strength to get up and into the next room. I'm out.




"Daddy... daddy...."

My eyes started to flutter open and I saw her pretty eyes staring into mine.

I peeked at her with my one half-open eye and grinned, "Hmm?"

"Why you in my bed, silly?" she giggled.

I tucked her hair behind her ears, "'Cuz it's the only way to cuddle with you anymore. Your such a big girl now... won't even let Daddy cuddle with you."

She just giggled once again.

Damn, it was bright in this room in the morning. I squinted from the sun and kissed her cheek before getting myself up and out of bed.

I stretched one more time and yawned.

"You rest a little more and I'm gonna hop in the shower. Then I'll make some waffles, 'kay?"

She nodded and closed her eyes again.

--

"Daaaaaadddd?!" I heard throughout the steam and the sound of hot water pouring out of the shower faucet.

"Yeah?" I shouted back, as I wiped a washcloth over my face, getting as clean as possible.

I heard her walk into the bathroom, "I gotta go pee!"

I just shook my head and smiled, "Then go pee, sweetheart. Just don't flush the toilet while daddy's in the shower, okay?"

"Okay!"

The toilet lid flipped up, and I heard her going pee. I just laughed to myself, and continued cleaning my body. All the sudden, I heard the shower door slid open and looked and she was staring at me... almost with disbelief.

"Ewwww," she pointed, and I was confused.

"Daddy, why don't I have one of those?"

I gulped. I closed the shower door as quickly as possible and was startled by her question. She had seen me naked since she was a little baby. I mean, there was no other way to take showers and watch her at the same time when she was little. My daughter was getting older, and it scared me shitless.

"Baby, your a girl, and daddy's a boy.... so we have different, uhm, you know, parts. Do you understand?" I questioned.

She was silent for a few moments but then replied, "Mmmhmm."

"Go downstairs and get ready for some waffles."

I heard her begin running out of the bathroom, "Okay!"

Well, that was odd, nonetheless.

__

"Waffles, madam," I said in my best British accent, and put the waffles on the table. I quickly cut it up into little pieces with the fork for her.

She dug into them right away.

"Hungry, huh?" I chuckled.

She just nodded and kept eating. Maybe I'd pop me one in the toaster.

Thank God for microwaves and toasters... I am now a pro at cooking with toasters and microwaves.

I reached over and stuck my fork into one of her pieces and shoved it in my mouth, "Mmm.. yum."

"Daddy!" she yelled and then pouted, "Now can't eat it no more!"

"Oh, relax, baby... I took one bite."

I heard the doorbell ring and for a minute I had forgotten about the king of brats. Ok, I'm sorry, that's mean. But it seems like everytime he comes over, Adelynn acts a little different each time. Towards me, mainly. And I don't like it.