- Text Size +
“Ajjee…” I heard Nick through the receiver of my cell phone.

“What, Nick?” I asked, wondering what he was trying to do now.

“I’m having a huge, kick ass party at my house tonight. You gotta be here. It’s not a party without the Bone.”

I sort of groaned, “How am I supposed to find a babysitter so quick?”

“What the fuck do you pay Dana for?” he asked me.

I sighed and realized he was right. I guess the truth was, I didn’t really want to party. I wasn’t into it at all anymore. But I hated being stuck at home all the time. I was bored, and a party might be fun for a change.

“Alright, I’ll give her a call.”

“Awesome, bro. There’s about 400 people expected.”

“400 people?! Fuck, Nick… when did you plan this?”

“Started to last week.”

I just shrugged, “Alright. I’ll be there.”

I gave Dana a call and she was perfectly fine with coming over around seven o’clock. It would be fun. It’s also nice to get out for a while. I picked up my phone and dialed her now familiar number.

“Steph?” I asked.

“Hey, what’s going on?”

“Nick’s having some big party tonight. I’d rather not be a loner, care to join me?”

She just laughed, “Sure, of course I will.”

“Come to my house around 6, we’ll drive together.”

“Okay. See you then.”


I stood in my room for a good while, looking through my piles of clothes and figuring out what to wear. I think I’ll go for simple. Just a t-shirt with some nice jeans? Yeah, that’ll work. I decided on one of my t-shirts, and my Tommy Hilfiger jeans and I couldn’t forget my Rolex watch and a couple of my rings.

I was in the bathroom trimming up my beard when I heard Addy walk in.

“Daddy, your leaving?” she asked, sadly.

“Aw, just for a little bit, baby. I’ll be back home tonight. Dana’s coming over.”

“I don’t want Dana, I want you!” I saw one little tear drip down her cheek and it broke my heart.

I always felt bad because I felt like I was away from her enough just because of my job and I shouldn’t leave her for my own personal things but sometimes I just… needed to.

I bent down on one knee and opened my arms out, “Come here.”

She walked into my arms and stuffed her face into my chest, “Daddy, you promise you be back tonight?”

“I promise, sweetie.”

She just nodded and wiped her tears away.

“Do you wanna sit in Daddy’s room and watch my TV while I finish getting ready?”

She nodded her head ‘yes’ and I went in there and helped her turn on her channel. Then I went back into the bathroom to finish getting myself ready.

She made me feel terrible. Like I was the worst father in the world. But I felt like I had to please so many people. If I didn’t go to this party, Nick would’ve been mad at me and start giving me lectures. If I would’ve cancelled, Steph would be mad because she had gotten ready. I just didn’t like to disappoint anybody, and it was one of my weaknesses.

_______

“Alright, baby, give Daddy a hug,” I gave her a big hug and kissed her cheek, “Be good for Dana, okay?”

“Bye Addy,” Stephanie waved to her also.

Addy just sadly waved to the both of us and we headed out the door.

Once we got settled in my car, I turned up the radio station a little bit.

“AJ, you didn’t have to leave her, you know?” Stephanie told me.

“Why do you say that?”

“I could tell you didn’t want to, and she didn’t want you to go either.”

I sighed, “Yeah, I didn’t want to leave her. But I need to parties occasionally, you know? And I’m doing it for Nick, I turn him down so much. He’s still my little brother, you know?”

“Yeah. But I’m sure Nick understands your daughter is the number one thing in your life.”

I smiled, “Yeah she is.”

“And she’s always your number one priority.”

I just looked at Stephanie in the eyes. She knew. She hit the exact words, it was like she was reading me like a book.

“I love you, you know? I do. You know me… you know me like you did when we were still 15 years old.”

“I love you too, AJ.”

I pulled over the car and I just kissed her. I began kissing her all over, and I couldn’t stop. I reached under her shirt and she smiled.

We both began to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” we both asked at the same time.

I laughed again, “You’d think we were both sex crazed maniacs who have to stop their car on the side of the road to get some ‘cuz they can’t wait ‘till we get home.”

“AJ?”

“Yeah?”

“YOU are a sex-crazed maniac who pulled over on the side of the road because he couldn’t wait ‘till he got home.”

I just started laughing again, “Yeah, well, I don’t see you declining the idea either.”

“Just shut up,” she said and pulled my hair a bit when she pulled my face towards hers. I could feel her hand reaching toward my zipper, and I helped her find her way.

“I love you, I really think I do,” I whispered.


_______________

“I have an idea,” I told Stephanie, since we had been sitting in the car for about ten minutes just thinking about what had just happened, I guess. Atleast that’s what I was thinking about.

I hopped out of the car and grabbed a blanket from the back seat.

“What are you doing?” I heard her ask from the inside of the car.

“Just wait a minute,” I laid the blanket out on the grass and smoothed it out with my hands.

“Here, come out here,” I sat down on the blanket and patted the spot next to me. She grinned and sat down next to me.

“You have sex hair,” I laughed and fixed a few strands of her hair.

“Thanks to you,” she chuckled.

“Look at the stars,” I told her.

“They’re really bright tonight.”

“You know this sounds corny but I once told Addy that I’ll always be with her, because we’re all under the same stars. I’m always with her, if she just looks into the sky.”

“Maybe it is corny, but not when you say it,” she replied, “I remember Addy telling me something like that.”

“She told you?”

“Yep. That one night when you fell asleep on the couch, we talked. She’s sure a talker for a five year old. Takes after her Daddy on that one. And she’s like a little adult.”

“Yeah well she’s grown up around me and the fellas so most of her comes from us. That’s kinda scary, huh?” I smiled.

“Very scary.”

“I think she really does like you.”

“I hope so, but I’m not gonna force her into anything. And you better not either. I don’t even think you know how much she admires you.”

“That much, huh?” I asked.

“A lot. You should see the way she looks at you all the time. She may be young but I think she understands… I think she knows when your stressed out and when your busy. She understands you, just like you understand her.”

“Yeah, I guess we understand each other pretty well.”

My phone started vibrating in my pocket, “Nick, sorry buddy, I’m on the way.”

“What’s the hold up?”

“Got, uh, stuck on the side of the road with Steph. Be there in like 15 minutes.”

I don’t think Nick understood what I meant, but he let it slide. I would explain later.

“We better go.”

I packed up the blanket and helped Stephanie back in the car, as we headed towards Nick’s place.