- Text Size +
"I'm what?!"

I knew this was coming. I knew she would flip out. I just had to sit back and watch her screaming at the doctor. I told him to wait. I told him to wait a little longer to tell her she was pregnant, but he didn't. He said he had to now, so she could have longer to make a decision.

"I want an abortion now. I'm not going to carry.... that man's child. I can't do it."

She began to cry. It was like she didn't know what to do or what to say, so she just cryed. I slowly approached her, and I almost went to lean over and hug her but I avoided.

"Baby... it might... it might be mine," I turned my head away, for fear of me beginning to cry. I had to be strong for her. It was hard to look at her in that state, though and stay strong. She looked horrible, and I had seen so many tears fall out of her eyes in the two days that she had been here. And when she wasn't crying, she was usually yelling.

"What?" was all she spat out.

"It could be mine, Stephanie."

"How...," she began to say but it seemed to register in her mind how it had happened.

"Don't get an abortion."

The doctor cut in, "Now remember you may not even be pregnant. The tests come in tomorrow that will show you for sure if your pregnant. Sleep on it." Then he looked over at me, "Both of you."

The doctor walked out of the room... leaving me to take care of her emotionally. Oh God, I didn't know what to do or say.

"AJ, I can't deal with this... I just can't. I can't have a baby," she started crying yet again, "I'm getting an abortion."

"Your not getting an abortion if it's my child... I've been through this before." I said that a little more harsh then I wanted it to be.

I sighed, "Let's just... wait until tomorrow, okay?"

She just nodded through her tears. She was so emotional, and I didn't know what to do. She had been raped. Violted. What can I say to her?

"Steph...," I whispered, "I got you something."

I reached into my pocket and grabbed the necklace that I had gotten the other day.

"Well, Addy actually picked it out..." I held the necklace out to her.

She smiled slightly and reached out for it. She took a look over it, "That's sweet."

I smiled at her, "I'm gonna help you through this, okay? I mean, I don't really know what to say but do you want to talk... about it?"

She shook her head, "I can't. It was... it was my fault."

"Your fault?" I questioned.

Her tears continued to pour down her face, "It was nothing. I'm going to be okay. I'm going to forget."

"Steph, that's something you can't just forget. I wanna help you."

"Don't. AJ, when I get out of this hospital... I'm leaving."

"Leaving?"

What was she talking about? What does she mean?

"I'm moving away from everything. Out of state. I.... I'm sorry."

"You don't know what your talking about... your not thinking straight. You don't feel good. Don't make that decision now... your grougy, you know. Your gonna stay here with me."

"No," she tried to spit out through her tears, "I'm leaving for good. You shouldn't have to deal with me. AJ, you don't even know me."

"I don't know you? I know you pefectly well. Steph... your scaring me. What are you talking about?"

"Just... know what I'm leaving."

I looked at her in her eyes, she knew what she was talking about. It was just that I didn't.

"Well I'm not leaving."

She looked at me with confusion, "What?"

"You may be leaving, but I'm not. Not until I find out if your pregnant, and most importantly, with my child."

"Please go, AJ," she closed her eyes for a brief second, and then opened them again.

I hoped maybe she was just really confused right now, and not knowing what to do. She needed me, I know she did. But I think I might just leave her by herself for a little bit. Maybe she just needed some time to think. Without saying anything, I walked out of her hospital room and left.




I arrived at my mom's house, and most of the lights were dimmed. It had gotten later than I thought and when I looked down at the clock it read 7:53pm.

I reached for the key under the doormat and let myself in her house. Then I locked the door back up behind me, and walked into the house. It seemed really quiet, except for the distant sound coming from the television in the living room. I walked in and saw my mom asleep in her lounge chair, with a dimmed light on next to her and an open book in her lap.

I wasn't about to wake her up, so I decided I'd find Addy. She was probably in her 'room' over here at my mom's house. My mom had pretty much set up a room for her with TV and everything. I quietly jogged up the stairs and I saw Addy sitting up in the bed, all by herself.

"Hey sweetie..." I whispered, and when I talked I realized my voice was hoarse.

"Daddy..." she whispered back, but didn't get up from her spot in the bed.

I slipped my shoes off and crawled into the bed with her and gave her a kiss on the forehead, "How's Daddy's Addy?"

"I'm all by myself, Daddy," she told me, sadly.

"Did Grandma fall asleep?"

She nodded and I just gave her a warm smile. I leaned my back against the headboard and she crawled up into my lap. And instead of her laying her head on me, I seemed to lean my head onto hers. She was all I had in this world. She took my hand and moved it for me, wrapping it around her.

She knew something was wrong with me. But I was glad I had my daughter, no matter what happens with Stephanie. I'll go back to the hospital tomorrow, find out more information, and I guess whatever Stephanie decides; it's decided.