- Text Size +
When I arrived at the hospital the next morning, I saw Stephanie's parents in the room talking to her. I thought that maybe I should just leave, but as I began to turn and walk away, she saw me. We made eye contact and she motioned for me to come in. I walked in, with my head slightly down. I didn't know what she had told her parents, or what they knew about me or anything.

"How are you feeling today?" I asked, quietly.

"A little better, I guess," she looked up at her parents and then back at me, "It's not your baby. There's... no baby, actually."

I sighed. It was kind of a relief, even though I think she was a little sad. I mean, it was a tiny bit sad. If it had been my baby, I could've had another child. But I was happy. It would've been too much for Stephanie.

"It's nice to see you again, AJ," her dad spoke up and shook my hand, "It's been a long time. Sorry it has to be under these circumstances."

"It has been a while, huh?" I released from his grip.

It was an awakard silence in the room. Like nobody really knew what to say, not even her own parents. I saw Stephanie reach for something and she pulled out the necklace I had given her.

"Here, Alex...," she handed it to me, "I know this had to be expensive. I'm not worthy of it."

"No, I want you to have it."

"Please, just take it...," she began to cry and she held out the necklace to me.

"Stephanie, keep it. I don't want it, I got it for you."

"AJ, take it!"

I looked at her for a moment, her eyes were pleading for me to take it back. I thought maybe she had changed her mind, and would stay here with me. But I think she had made her final decision.

"If your not gonna keep it for me, keep it for Addy. She really wanted you to have it."

And before she could even respond, I walked out of the room and closed the door behind me. I really thought that maybe she was the one. She was the one I could see myself spending the rest of my life with. We had known each other long enough, and it seemed to just fit right. I guess not.

I think I'm giving up on love. Something always goes wrong for me. I'm just not the kind of person meant to fall in love, I guess. Maybe God was trying to tell me something.

When I had just walked out of that door, a little piece of hope inside of me thought maybe her parents might come running after me, telling me she had wanted me to come back. Maybe it would work out later on. Maybe she would coming running back to me. But I don't know if I'd be able to accept her back into my life.

My heart had just been broken, and I don't think I even realized how much.

I would've helped her through this. She could've counted on me. Why? Why didn't she? Maybe she knew something that I didn't. Or maybe it was just that I didn't understand.

I shook my head to myself. It was a rainy day today. A shitty day to be let go.

I pulled into my mom's driveway once again. Her garage door was open, and I saw Adelynn messing around through some old toys in big boxes. As I pulled into the driveway, my headlights shined on her and then I turned the car off.

"What are you doing outside, sweetie?" I closed my car door shut.

"Daddy, I wanna go home," she ran over to me and I bent down to pick her up.

"I'll bring you home, baby," I kissed her cheek.

"Where's Stephanie? Is she all better now?"

"I don't know if Stephanie's coming back, hun," I hugged her tightly, and I felt like a tear was welling up in my eye. I never expected this to end... so quickly. I felt like we had a future, if we would've worked for it. She could've helped me in raising Addy, and we could've gotten married down the road. Hell, maybe even have some more kids.

I released off of Addy, "Let's go tell grandma we're going home."

I walked into the kitchen and saw her cooking something.

"Mom..."

"How is she? Is everything okay, Alex?" she asked, stopping mixing whatever she was making.

I let Addy slide out of my arms, and she went over and layed on the couch, watching some TV. I shook my head, "No. No, it's not okay."

I felt like such a fucking baby. A big, grown-man, baby. I went over and hugged my mom. I needed a hug from her, I needed her to tell me everything was going to be okay like she had done my whole life. But she didn't say anything, she just grasped me into a long hug. I never thought my life would be like this. I always thought one day I would get married and have kids. And even when Addy was first born, I was expecting to just fall in love, have a mother for Adelynn, and be happy forever. But nothing's ever that easy.