- Text Size +
"Yeah, I just need you to replace this carpet in this room," I told the guy I had hired from the carpet company, and pointed to Addy's room.

There was too much blood on the floor to clean myself, so I just got new carpet.

"Okay, sir. Should be done within the next hour or so."

"Thanks," I shook his hand and made my way downstairs.

Addy was sitting on the couch, with her leg propped up on a pillow. She didn't really need to, but she was using this little accident for all it was worth, making me her personal slave. We had found out it was Daisy that caused the accident, she didn't mean to. Her claws were too sharp, I guess, and dug right into Addy's knee.

I went and sat next to her, "Need something else, baby?"

She shook her head 'no.' For a couple seconds she looked up at me, as if she wanted to say something and didn't know what.

"Dad?" she finally asked.

"Yes?"

"I want to be in a play."

What did she just say?

"A... a play?" I stuttered.

"Yeah, a girl told me 'bout one at school."

She can't be in a... play. I didn't want her to do plays. That's what I did, and I didn't want her to be like me. It just couldn't happen. I mean, a play? Who told her about a play, anyways?

"Uhm," I didn't know what to say. I can't just say no. That's selfish, that's my selfish pride that didn't want her to do a play. I went through the whole play deal, and I didn't want Addy to do it. It's too much work, too much time, too much... trouble.

"Why?" was all I could spit out.

"Cuz I want to!" she smiled.

She smiled so big, so big that I just couldn't say no. Like usual.

"We'll talk about it."

Fuck, fuck, fuck. It's not that I didn't want her to. Well, yes it was. But what if she wanted to? What if she liked it? Was I making this a way bigger deal than it really was? One play can't do anything, can it?

I got up off the couch, and I had to think about this. I had always wondered if one day she would ask for something like this. Or if she had it in her blood, like I did. I had always hoped she wouldn't. But she was so much like me in other ways that it scared me. I didn't want her in this business in any way, shape, or form... not even a daycare school play. Not my little girl.

I sighed, and took a deep breath, and then reached for my phone. When my thoughts fail to do me any good, call mom. She's been through this stuff before.

"Mom?" I asked, and walked as far away as I could from the living room where Addy was sitting.

"Hey, Alex."

"Mom, Addy wants to do a play. For her daycare."

"Aww, how adoraable. What play?"

Why did she think this was so cute? Didn't she remember?

"What play?" I questioned her back, "Uhm, I don't know. She didn't tell me. Guess I forgot that little detail."

"Your freaking out," my mom told me calmy.

I let out a nervous laugh, "Uh-huh."

"Let her do it. Let her experience it. She is your daughter, you can't stop it if it's in her."

"But I want to," I almost whined.

My mom chuckled, "Honey, I did alot of things wrong with you. We've been through it now, we know how it works. You'll always protect Addy until the day you die, believe me. She's in daycare. Let her have some fun. Do you remember how much fun you had?"

I smiled, "Yeah, I had a blast in those younger days."

"Just remember those days."

I nodded, even though my mom couldn't see me nod over the phone.

"I'll let her try it. But I still don't agree with it."

"You don't have to."

"Thanks, mom."

"Call me soon to set up a night where I can have Addy over, your invited, too."

"Okay, mom. Love you."

"Bye, honey."

I hung up the phone, feeling a little better. I mean, she might not even like it. She's still so young, and I just didn't want her getting caught up into something at her age. I just shook my head to myself, and sighed. Maybe I was getting way overworked for something little.

I went over and looked at Addy on the couch for a moment. She was so cute.

"What play is it?"

"Uhm, Roof... something," she was thinking hard, trying to remember.

"Fiddler on the Roof?" I asked.

"Yeah!"

"Fiddler on the Roof, huh?" I just smiled at her, "You'll have fun, baby."