- Text Size +
"You are getting straight in the bath," I told Addy as I pushed the door closed with my foot.

"But whyyyy?" she whined.

"Because you stink!" I laughed at her.

"I do not!" she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Honey, your getting in the bath. No questions. You've been playing outside, and your all sweaty."

She pouted, "Why can't I go in the pool?"

I gave her 'the look' with my eyes, and she just sighed and began to walk upstairs.

"That's what I thought," I shook my head to myself and went to the fridge to get a soda.

You'd think taking a bath was going to kill her. I popped open my can of soda, and began walking upstairs to go get her bath ready.



"See? Now your all clean!" I told her as I helped her put on her shoes.

She nodded, but didn't say anything in return.

"But my knee hurts..."

"Your knee hurts still? I'm sorry, sweetie. The stiches come out soon."

I tightened her shoelace, and stood up from my spot on the ground.

"Alright, me and you are going to the grocery store. Since Dana's on vacation with her family, Daddy has to do the shopping."

She gave me this dumbfounded, blank stare for a moment and I had to laugh.

"You can't shop, Daddy," she shook her head.

I pretended that I had been offended, "Whhaat? I can shop. With your help, 'kay?"

She shrugged.

"Hey, we need food in this house. It's looking pretty empty."




"Hop on in," I put Addy in the front seat of the cart and pushed it.

I don't know where to go.

"Addy, what do you want to eat tonight?" I asked her.

"Steak!" she smiled proudly.

"Steak? Are you kidding me? What five year old eats steaks?" I said outloud, but was talking to myself.

"Me!" she grinned.

"How about hotdogs? Macoroni and cheese? Hamburger Helper? Anything Daddy can cook."

"Hamburger Helper."

I loved the way she said "hamburger" like "hambooger," it was so hilarious.

"Hambooger Helper it is."

I began pushing the cart down random aisles. Hamburger Helper... why the hell can't I find Hamburger Helper anywhere?

"Daddy, read the signs!" she pointed to the ceiling, where there was a sign in every aisle telling what it sold.

I rolled my eyes. Great, now I'm outsmarted by my five year old daughter. I really don't know how to shop.

"You know what, nevermind Hamburger Helper... there's the hotdogs. Is that okay?"

Addy sighed and nodded her head.

"How 'bout french fries with it?" Before she could even answer, "French fries it is."

"Now where are the fries?" I looked around.

"Right in front of your face, Mr. McLean."

Who was that? I turned around and it was... Jill.

"Jill?" I looked at her.

She smiled and gave me a wave, "AJ, it's been too long."

"Yes, yes, it has," I grinned.

She looked damn good. Really good, actually. What had she been doing?

She finally saw Addy sitting in the cart. Addy had no idea who she was, she couldn't remember her. The last time she had seen Jill was at her first birthday party.

"That's Adelynn?" Jill put her hand over her mouth, she was shocked. "Oh my God, she's beautiful!"

She bent down and looked at Adelynn, "Last time I saw you, you were only one!"

Addy gave her shy look, and just blushed.

"AJ, you better watch out. Gonna have the boys after her one day."

I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Thanks for reminding me."

"So where are you living?" she asked.

"Same place. How about you?"

"I moved to LA, and I got... got a new job."

I was impressed.

"Here's my number," she wrote it down on a piece of paper and handed it to me, "It's a new one. Call me anytime. I've got to get out of here, running late enough as it is."

"Okay, good to see you again, Jill."

"You too, Alex."

She walked away. And all I could do was sit there and watch her walking away, it felt like it was in slow motion or something. I held onto the piece of paper in my hands tightly, and then shoved it into my pocket.

"Daddy?! French fries are right there!"