- Text Size +
"Okay, you need to behave for the babysitter. Dana will be back soon. Do you promise you'll be good?" I looked down at Addy and she nodded.

"Pinky sware?" I held out my pinky and she latched onto it and repeated, "Pinky sware."

"The sitter will be here soon. I'm going to meet Jill and we won't be gone that long."

"Who's Jill?" she asked.

"Remember the lady from the grocery store?"

A lightbulb went off in her head, "Oh yeah! Daddy, are you going on a date with her?"

"I guess you could call it that."

She pouted for a moment, "But I thought you only went on date's with me! Or Stephanie! What happened to Stephanie, Daddy?"

I sighed. I felt so bad, I was confusing her so much.

There was a knock on the door, but before I opened it, I looked at Addy, "Be good."

"Hello," I welcomed her in.

"Hello. And this young Adelynn?" she bent down, and looked at her, almost as if she was inspecting her.

What the hell? This lady was weird. Maybe I shouldn't leave Addy with her.

"There's, uh, drinks and stuff in the fridge. Help yourself to anything."

She nodded, "Does she have a bedtime?"

"Well, it changes. She can stay up however late she wants tonight, and wait for me," I winked at Addy and she smiled.

Maybe it would be alright.

"Whatever you say, sir."

"Alright, love you sweetheart," I kissed her cheek and grabbed my jacket before walking out the front door.



I walked into the Starbucks, and went up to the counter.

"I'll just have a small coffee, cream and sugar please."

I saw Jill walk in the door. She stood there for a few moments, scanning the room with her eyes. I guess she couldn't see me. I smiled for a second, before waving my hand to show her where I was. She smiled and waved back, and walked up to me.

"Hey, what are you getting?"

"Just a coffee. What would you like?" I asked.

"I'll have a vanilla latte," she told the person behind the counter and began digging through her purse.

"Put that away, what are you crazy?"

"Alex, I'm paying for my own damn coffee."

"No your not," I grinned.

"Oh yeah?" she playfully replied back.

"Yeah, what you gon do about it?" I joked in my 'tough guy' voice.

"Here you go," the server gave us our drinks and we made our way to the table.

"I missed you," I told her and took a sip of my coffee.

"I had missed you, too."

"I really... I, you know, I wanted to get to know you more. You as a person, you know. I always remember that one night in the hotel room, and I always felt bad about it."

"Nah, that was so long ago now. Four years almost, can you believe that?"

"I know, it's weird."

"So, Addy's five now? Is she in kindergarten?"

I shook my head, and sipped my coffee, "Next school year."

"Aw, that's gonna be so weird. Letting your little kid off to kindgergarten."

"Tell me about it," I laughed.

"I say we head out of this joint, and head somewhere else," she got up from her seat.

"I say... your right," I grinned at her and followed her out the door.



After going out to dinner for a couple hours, we ended up back in my living room, on my couch. I sat with my legs sprawled out and Jill was fast asleep, her head in my lap.

I couldn't believe Jill, of all people, was laying on me right now. And it wasn't in a dirty way, she was just... cuddling with me. She had changed alot since I had last seen her. She calmed down a lot.

"Mmm," she mumbled, "I better get going."

"Nah, just sleep here tonight," I whispered to her.

The living room was completely dark, with the exception of the TV lights. The TV was on mute, though. I wasn't watching it.

I was staring at her. But I felt so guilty. Because as I stared at her... all I could see was Stephanie. And think of what she's doing right now, and how's she's doing. I hate how she just left with so many unanswered questions.

"No," she began to get up from her spot on my lap, "I have to work early in the morning."

"Are you sure?" I looked at her.

She just nodded.

"Are you gonna be okay driving home?" I asked her.

"I'll be fine. Just go to sleep," she leaned over and gave me a kiss.

It wasn't a deep, make-out-all-the-way kiss or anything. Just a quick kiss on the lips. And a mere second of tounge. That's all. But I liked it that way. Don't move too fast. This time around, anyways.