- Text Size +
Shit, all next week we were booked. I couldn't believe it. We had four radio shows to do, in six days. I thought we were going to have to do two shows, tops.

"Daddy?"

I sighed, "Yeah?"

I continued looking at the paper, that listed all of the dates on it. What was I going to do with Addy for six days?

"Are we gonna see Santa Clause still?"

Oh, shit. I forgot about that, too.

"Uhm, yeah, sweetie. You'll see Santa Clause."

She skipped away, and went upstairs. I grabbed the phone and dialed my mother's number.

"Mom, I'm in a bind. Can you watch Addy next week for 6 days and take her to see Santa? I promised her, and I got all these shows to do."

"Hon, you should've told me earlier. We're going on a cruise next week. You know I would," she paused, "I'm sorry."

"Shit," I sighed, "That's alright. I'll find somebody."

"What about Dana? Is she back yet?"

"She's still on her winter vacation with her family. She's not supposed to be back until after Christmas."

"I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you."

"That's alright. I'll talk to you later, mama."

I didn't know what to do with her. I didn't really want to bring her with me, we would be too busy. I don't know who would look after her and such.

Jill. Should I ask her? I barely know her. I don't really know how she is around kids, or if she would even want to. Maybe I could bring her with me on the road, and she could watch Addy for me.

Shit, she's not my nanny or something. How bad would that make me look? "Yeah, uhm, I really want to sleep with you... but you have to babysit my daughter first because your the only one left to do it," I mumbled to myself and rolled my eyes. That would be good.

No, no. No Jill. She's out of the picture.

She'd probably be fine backstage with Marcus, while we performed. We only did about five songs.

I'm not gonna think about it anymore, and just wing it. Whatever happens, happens.

See, this is what i fucking hated. She didn't have a mom to just be like, "I'm gonna drop you off at Mommy's." It made me so angry inside. When Brian did this stuff, Leighanne would either come and watch Baylee or just stay home. They had two sets of grandparents, and I have my mom. It was always so unfair -- to Addy, most of all. What am I going to tell her when she asks how mommy died?

"Daddy!" she came downstairs, "Don't I have play practice today?"

Shit, I forgot about that, too. I pulled out my cellphone and looked at my reminders I always make myself.

"Yes you do, sweetie," I told her, "We'll get ready to go to that."



I grasped onto her hand as we walked into the college, which is the where the play was going to be put on. It kind of freaked me out when I saw a bunch of older kids. Alot of older kids, like people in their senior year of high school. Was I in the right place?

"Is this Adelynn McLean?" a lady from behind tapped my shoulder.

"Yes, yes it is. Hi," I stuck my hand out to greet her, "I'm AJ, her dad."

"Your her father?" the older lady asked me rudely, and looked me up and down. I think she realized how rude she was because she looked at me and said, "I'm sorry."

You should be, bitch.

"That's okay."

"So what will Adelynn be doing?" I asked.

"We went to her daycare, looking for children to play the roles of the two youngest daughters in Fiddler on the Roof. She immediately raised her hand and showed such great enthusiam, so I let her auditon, although I thought she was far too young. Her audition blew me away. She sang beautifully for a little girl, but can she read yet?"

I couldn't believe all of this information she just told me. She was that good? Wow.

"No," I looked down at Addy for a moment in shock and looked up at the lady, "No, she can't read yet. I mean... some words she can read."

"Okay, well, that won't be a problem. She'll have one line, and as long as she can memorize it, she will be fine."

I just nodded. I was speechless. I didn't really realize how good she was. When did this start happening?

"Let me introduce to you to all the kids...," she guided Addy towards the stage and there she went.

I took a seat in the big auditorium, and crossed my legs. She was actually doing a play. I was getting flashbacks from when I was a kid, and I sat here in disbelief. Please, don't turn out like me. Oh God, don't let her be like me.