- Text Size +
I awoke in the middle of the night on the couch, the blue screen coming from the TV was lighting up the whole room, the DVD must've ended a long time ago. I began to stretch and realized there was a little weight holding me down.

I smiled, as I looked down at my daughter snuggling up to me, fast asleep. I peeked over at the clock and it read 12:43am. A yawn took over me, and I realized how exhausted I really was. It had been a long day of putting together toys, playing with them, and helping cook Christmas dinner.

I attempted to fall back asleep, but I was curious if my mom was still here. I guess I had fallen asleep pretty quickly; I didn't even remember laying down on the couch.

I softly lifted Addy off of me, and let her stay on the couch. I made my way upstairs to see if my mom was in the guestroom.

The halls were pitch black, I couldn't see shit. But I finally found my way to the guest room and peeked in, she was fast asleep. Tim must've gone home, because he wasn't in there.

Closing the door, I rammed my head into the side of the wall, "SHIT!" I yelled a little bit louder than I wanted to, and rubbed my head hard to try to numb it.

My mom quickly sat up, "What?!"

"Shit," I mumbled to myself again and stuck my head back in the door and whispered, "It's okay, Mom. I just fucking hit my head."

Even in her grougyness, she chuckled, "Alex, go to sleep."

"I was asleep. On the couch," I just sighed and closed the door again, "Good night."

I walked back downstairs, and plopped myself right back down on the couch next to Addy, who was still fast asleep.

She was snoring slightly, and I laughed to myself. Always had been a snorer.

I yawned, and stretched my arms out. Shit, I was really tired now. I propped my head up a bit on the couch, and stretched my legs out. Yeah, this would be the perfect place to sleep.

I began to slowly fade out.





I awoke the next morning, with a major cramp in my neck. I shouldn't have slept down here. I could barely move my neck to the right. I attempted to stretch it out, but I guess I'd just have to deal with my old self aching for today.

I scratched my head... where's Addy? She must've woken up before me. I sighed, and got my self up off of the couch.

The house was fucking quiet. Why was it so quiet in here?

I walked over to the fridge, opened it up and stared for a while, and realized I really didn't want anything to eat. I hated when that happened.

Then I noticed a note hanging on the fridge,

Alex,
I took Addy to the park in the
neighborhood. When you wake up
come and join us if you'd like.
Love you,
Mom

I shrugged, I might as well go. I slipped on my flip-flops, and threw a light jacket overtop of my tanktop as my cell rang.

Shit, where is it? I searched underneath all of the blankets and pillows, and finally found it.

"Hello?" I answered quickly.

"Hey Aje..."

"Jill," I was surpised to hear from her, "What's going on? Been a little while, huh?"

"Yeah. How was your Christmas?" she asked. And she asked genuinely, not just to 'be nice' or something, she really wanted to know.

"It was great. Addy had a blast...," I told her.

She laughed softly, "Aw, I bet she did."

Before I knew it, we had sat there talking for over an hour. I knew it had been a long time because all the sudden I heard a bunch of noise coming from the foyer. Jabbering women, I laughed.

"I'll call you later, Jill. The little monsters back."

She had just laughed and we hung up.

"Daddy!" she ran up into my arms, "Why didn't you come?!"

I looked up at the clock and back down at her, "I lost track of time, I guess."

"How long ago did you wake up?" my mom asked me.

"Over an hour ago. I was talking to Jill on the phone, I guess I lost track of time."

"Oh yeah?" my mom seemed interested, "You should invite her over one time."

"Yeah, I probably will. She seems lonely," I shrugged.

"Like you?" Addy cut in, and the remark was harmless but it got to me.

I was lonely. Where had she heard me say that? I didn't ever want her to know that I was lonely, or think there was something wrong.

"Where did you hear that?" I asked her.

"I did hear you say it! You said it once!" she said, defensively.

"Aw, baby," I picked her up, "I'm not lonely. Just like you said... I've got you. How can I ever be lonely with a goofball like you around?"

I tickled her belly, and she giggled.

"I guess so!"

"I know so."