- Text Size +
The golf course was hot as hell. It was smokin' outside.

Adelynn pretty much sat in the golf cart the entire time, and all of the guys would always keep her company while the other was taking a shot.

Today, it was just me, Marcus and Jimmy. Jimmy was a guy I had met an AA meeting and he seemed real cool... didn't really know him but going golfing with someone can't hurt anything. And Marcus was my bodyguard, he was there to protect me but he was also there as a friend.

I kept Addy full on water so she wouldn't pass out or nothin'. Everytime after I hit the ball she would clap so loud, even if it was a sucky ass shot. I could see some people giving us dirty looks but whatever.

I wiped a bead of sweat off my forehead and sighed. I was bored.

"You ready to go?" I looked at Adelynn.

She just nodded.

"Say goodbye to Jimmy and Marc," I pointed to them and Adelynn waved goodbye.

"Arrg," I said as I picked her up. She layed her head on my shoulder so I knew she was exhausted. Hopefully she would fall asleep in the car. I had to call Amanda.

Once I got her all buckled into her carseat, I got myself situated and then began to drive off. She fell asleep right away. I kept looking back to make sure she was asleep for good before I called Amanda.

She was asleep. She had to be.

Amanda had left me two messages on the golf course and I let them both go into voicemail. She woulda screwed up my game.

"Amanda?" I asked through the phone reciever.

"Where were you?" she asked, quietly.

"I was at the golf course... Adelynn's with me...," I hated when there wasn't much to say.

"Oh, do you want me to call back?"

"No, no, she's fast asleep in the back seat," I looked at her once more in the back before finishing, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. I'm sorry. For being a bitch."

"Your not," I bit my lip, "Your not a bitch."

I knew she was smoking on the other line. I could hear her blowing out puffs of smoke. It made me want one.

I sighed, "I'm okay, you know?"

"I know," was all she said in reply.

"Everyones so fucking worried about me. I just want people to stop and worry about their own problems."

"Look, AJ, I don't wanna fuck things up, okay? Just like you said. I mean... you and your daughter have a great relationship and I'm starting to fuck that up. You and the other guys even... I feel like I'm getting in the way."

"Me and the guys did not take a break because of you, Amanda. We didn't want what happened last time to happen again. It's just a six month break."

"Okay, okay," she took a deep breath, "Alex, I love you."

"I," I almost spit it out but I didn't. I had said that to one too many of the women in my life. This time... I had to be for sure. No more breaking hearts for me.

"I'll talk to you later," was all I could finish.

I heard her sigh, "Bye."

And then she hung up.

Here I go again... drifting in my own thoughts.

I mean, I don't think she's the one. The one. She's just cool to be with and cool to sleep with. She's too young. She's only 24. Who am I kidding? I'm not that much older than her.

But I've got a kid... a kid who needs a mom. Amanda can't be that person. She barely gives Addy attention when we're all together. She's nice to her, but she just doesn't understand. She'll want me to go out with her, or go to someones house and she'll get mad when I have to leave early. Or not understand if I can't go because I can't get a babysitter.

Fuck, it had only been 7 months. I wasn't trying to think of anything serious but I think Amanda was.

"Daddy?"

I heard her tired voice in the back.

"We going home?"

"Yes, baby," I smiled.

"Good," and she closed her eyes again.

I smiled to myself. I think she had turned out just fine without a mom. But what happens when she really does need one?