- Text Size +
"I'll take Addy if you want me to," my mom told me over the phone.

She had went home yesturday after taking Addy to the park.

"No, that's okay," I shrugged, "I want her to eat dinner with us."

"Okay, hon. I'll talk to you later. Have a good time with Jill."

"I will. Love you, Mom."


Truthfully, I wanted Addy to come because then maybe people would leave us alone. The fans usually wouldn't be as aggressive when I had her with me.

It was all ready 3 o'clock, so I figured I might as well start getting ready. I would have to get Addy ready, also.

"Addy!" I called out, not excatly sure where she was in the house.

"What?" I heard her call back from her room.

I jogged over to her bedroom and peeked in the door, "Hey sweetie, I'm getting in the shower 'cause me, you and Jill are going to dinner tonight. So start getting ready for me."

"I'm coming with you?!" she screetched.

I laughed, "Yeah."

"Yes!" she got up and began searching through her drawers for clothes and I made my way to the shower.


By the time I got out, Addy was already dressed and ready. I had to laugh at her outfit of choice, it was all mix-matching and didn't match at all.

"Here, baby," I grabbed a new shirt for her, "Let me help you."

Then I slipped her little Ugg boots on her, and nodded. My girl was stylin'.

"You look so pretty," I told her and she giggled.

"Prettier than Jill?"

I smiled, "Yes."

"Prettier than my mommy was?"

I wanted to yell out and scream, 'Fuck yes you are! Your mommy's personality made her even uglier' but I just looked at her and said, "Way prettier. You know why? Your pretty inside and out."

Maybe it was the wrong thing to say, but I couldn't resist. It was the truth. My girl was growing to be a very smart, intelligent, beautiful... well, woman.

She just grinned up at me, and gave me a look like she wanted something, "Dadddyy?"

"Yeesss?" I replied back, in the same sly tone.

"Piggyback ride!" she cheered.

"Oh, alright, but I'll have to stretch my old self out first."

"Your not old!" she told me.

"I feel old."

"Alright, hop up," I bent over and allowed her to get on my back.

We made out way down the stairs. Her head was bobbing up and down as I bounced her on my back. I let her down and she exclaimed, "That was fun!"

"I'm glad you thought so."



I graciously pulled out a seat for Addy, and she gladly sat down. Then I did the same for Jill and she smiled and thanked me.

"Your daddy is such a gentleman," Jill whispered into Addy's ear, but saying it loud enough for me to hear.

I batted my eyelashes in a feminine way, and they both chuckled at me.

"Sorry it's nothing too fancy, I usually like to impress a bit more," I laughed.

"Impressing me doesn't take much, Mr. McLean. A dinner date with you and your daughter is all I could ask for," she nodded down at Addy, whose cheeks turned flush.

"Well, that's good to know."

I eyed a few people staring from outside the window. I didn't really mind it, but it made me feel uncomfortable. But eventually, they usually stopped staring and went off to do something else, only staying close to the building. And if they ended up being nice people, and not rude pricks, I would always take time out to talk.

"So, what are you getting, sweetheart?" I peeked over my menu to see Addy, who was busy coloring with the crayons the waiter gave us.

"I dunno. What do they have?" she shrugged.

"Hmmm," I tried to memorize the things she usually got at restaurants, "Grilled cheese, hot dog, hamburger, macoroni and cheese."

"Grilled cheese!"

"Okay."

I took a couple minutes to look over the menu myself, and decided on a Filet Mignon steak.

"What are you getting?" I asked Jill.

Damn, she looked beautiful. I had just now gotten a good look at her, and she looked good. Very good. I dunno, tonight... everything about her seemed perfect. Her make-up was done perfect, her hair, her lips, and I had to let it all sink in for a moment.

"Probably the filet."

"Really?" I laughed, "Me too."



Dinner lasted for a while. I was glad Addy had decided to behave tonight, and joined in on the conversations quite alot, actually. She had taken a liking to Jill, and I was happy about that. She was beautiful, she really was.

All the sudden, I noticed a $20 bill that had been dropped on the table.

"No," I grabbed it quickly and threw it back over to Jill.

"Yes. AJ, I'm paying for my dinner," she insisted.

"Jill, have you learned nothing about me yet? I don't take 'no' for an answer."

Addy cut in, "He doesn't."

The comment made me laugh, but I went back to convincing Jill she wasn't paying a dime for this dinner.

"I'm paying, and your not. End of story."

And I handed the waiter my credit card when he walked by.



Well, the date had gone good and I was really happy about that. Everything went smoothly. I had just put Addy down to bed a little earlier, she was real tired.

Addy had told me that she really liked Jill, and asked me if she would be her mommy. I didn't really know what to say to that one, so I skipped around the question. Eventually, I know I'll have to answer. She had asked that question with Amanda and Stephanie, too.

This time, though, I was doing it the right way. I wasn't going to rush into anything. And I think I was taking a good step by letting Addy come with us to dinner.

As I began to get into my night clothes, I felt something crinkling in my jean pockets and reached in to see what it was.

"Oh, fuck me," I sighed as I stared at a $20 bill in my hand.