- Text Size +
"Dad..."

Was that Addy? My eyes squinted open in the pitch black dark bedroom. It was completely silent. I looked at the clock and it showed 1:05am.

I turned my head and saw Addy's shadow standing next to my bed.

I sat up a little and asked in a grougy voice, "What's wrong, baby?"

"I... I peed the bed."

I sighed to myself. Not again. I saw tears welling up in her eyes... she always made me feel so bad for her. She hated when she peed the bed but she did it alot, still. She didn't like to tell me, either.

I patted the bed, "Com'here."

She crawled up next to me and buried her head into my shirt. I wrapped my arm around her, "Shh.. it's okay. I'm not mad, sweetie."

She was so sentimental at night time. I kissed her forehead, "You sleep with Daddy tonight, okay? We'll clean your blankets in the morning."

She just nodded and sunk her head further into my chest. I rubbed her back for a moment and then decided I should try to fall asleep also.



__

I yawned as I woke up, with Addy in the same spot she was in last night. I could smell bacon and eggs coming from downstairs and I immediately knew Dana was here already.

I got up as softly as I could, so I didn't wake her up. It was best to let her sleep as late as possible. I looked like shit, but who cares? I was complete with the sticking up hair and my sweatpants I had on almost looked old and dirty.

First, I went into Adelynn's room to take off her sheets and covers when I realized the bed was already completely made and cleaned. I smiled... that Dana, man. She always knew.

Then I headed straight downstairs and was greeted by Dana.

"Good morning," she said in her half-Spanish accent.

"You came early, didn't you?" I went over and greeted her with a hug.

"Is it too soon?"

"No, no, not at all. The breakfast smells delish... thanks for changing Addy's sheets. Your ahead of stuff," I grinned.

"It's my job, Mr. McLean."

"God, don't call me that. How many times do I have to tell you? It's Alex. Or AJ. Whatever."

She just smiled and continued cooking breakfast. This was her one day of the week that she was hired to come. I did like being pampered and taken care of, though. And I wasn't used to it only being once a week, she used to be here daily.

And now that I'm at my house almost all the time, it could get pretty messy.

I peeked into the living room and saw that the half-eaten yogurts and the empty soda cans and the hollow bags of chips were gone. She had cleaned it all already.

"Your my hero," I said out of nowhere.

She just chuckled, "Why, thank you, Alex. You know, it really isn't all that hard to clean up a house."

"It is for me."

She placed a plate full of eggs, bacon and ham in front of me. I sat down on the closest barstool and took a bite.

"Damn, this is good," I replied with my mouth full of food.

"Excuse me?"

I just laughed. She was dead serious - she really couldn't understand. I finished chewing my food and then swallowed it.

"I said this is good."

She smiled, "Thank you. Is Mrs. Adelynn awake yet?"

"She's about as alive as a zombie right now. She's passed out."

"Oh, dear. Well she needs her sleep, that's good."

"Yeah, she had a late night last night. I think she was dreamin' alot. Wouldn't stop kicking."

She just laughed, "I saw you two this morning and thought it was the cutest thing ever. So I snapped a picture with your digital camera."

"Ooohh, Dana...," I groaned, "Don't take pictures of me sleeping."

"It was too cute to NOT take a picture," she grinned.

"Dana!" was all I heard and then the pitter-patter of footsteps running into the kitchen.

"Adelynn!" Dana bent down for a hug.

"Are you gonna babysit me today?!" she asked excitedly.

I chuckled. The only kid in the world who absolutely loved babysitters. If I were her, I wouldn't mind gettin' rid of myself either.

"Well, I believe I am," Dana looked at me for reassurance that she had said the right answer and I nodded. Addy started cheering.

I went over to her and made a pouty face, "You don't love me anymore?"

"Uh-huh! Yes I do!" she argued.

I picked her up and and started tickling her belly, she was giggling so loud and trying to escape from my grip.

I laughed once more before putting her back on the ground where she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Daddy! You tickle too much!"

I smiled at her and then turned towards Dana, "Yeah, if you don't mind staying with her for a couple hours. I've got another meeting to go to and some errands to run."

"It's my job, Alex."

"And you do a damn good job at it," I winked at her.

Adelynn's face lit up with surprise, "Aw, Daddy said a bad word!"