- Text Size +

September 16, 1991

“So I found out yesterday that Sarah got the lead part of Juliet, go figure right? She is totally stalking me! If I had known that she was going out to audition for Juliet’s part, I wouldn’t have gone out for Romeo! So I was thinking that I should…” he stopped in the middle of his sentence when he realized that his good friend was no longer behind him. “Nick?” he called out.

He found Nick hunched over a water fountain, gulping the liquid down in large amounts. After what seemed like forever, Nick finally broke himself away from the fountain, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Were you listening to one word I was saying?” Eric, Nick’s good friend, had asked him.

“Um…” Nick grinned sheepishly as he scratched the back of his head. “not really, what were you saying?”

Eric rolled his eyes as they continued walking down the corridor of their school. “I was talking about Sarah and how she got the part of Juliet. I don’t want to be Romeo anymore.”

“Well, then don’t be.” Nick replied with a shrug.

“It’s not that simple dude. I worked so hard to get that part, only to find out that Sarah, of all people, get the part of Juliet. When was the last time you saw Sarah work so hard for a part?” Eric turned around to find Nick no longer behind him again. He found Nick at yet another water fountain, drinking excessive amounts. “Dude, what the heck?”

Nick took a brief pause from drinking the water, “Have you ever realized how good water really tastes?” he asked before he resumed drinking.

Eric gave him an awkward look, “Um… yeah, sure. Are you okay?”

When Nick felt he had his fill, he stopped drinking and had looked up at Eric. “Yeah, why?”

“I don’t know… seems like you’re stopping to take a drink at every water fountain we pass by.”

“I’m just thirsty.” Nick replied with a shrug.

“How can a person be that thirsty? You know, you might wanna get your condition checked up…”

“Who said I had a condition?”

“Well… you’re drinking a lot of water, and I learned in health class that excessive drinking of any kinds of liquids, especially water, could be a symptom of diabetes.”

“Are you trying to say I’m fat?” Nick asked with a small pout.

Eric chuckled, “No dude, I’m just saying… you don’t have to be fat to be diabetic man. Being diabetic means the levels of sugar in your blood is either extremely high or extremely low. Do you find yourself peeing a lot?”

“One would think with the way I consume water.”

Eric nodded as they continued walking, “You should really get that checked up.”

“Okay Dr. Eric, I’ll get it checked just for you.”

“Shutup man. So, are you gonna make anymore surprise stops at the water fountain or can I continue on with my dilemma with Sarah.”

“You could, but I have a question for you. Do you really want to go to practice today?” Nick asked him. They had after school practice for the theatrical show they were putting on of “Romeo & Juliet”.

“Well, if you were paying attention to what I was saying earlier, then you would know that I already said that I don’t want to be Romeo anymore, all thanks to Sarah.”

“Then I say we take care of that situation right now.”

“What do you have in mind?”

Nick shrugged, “I don’t know… but I say we skip.”

“Well, well… look what we have here boys.”

Both Nick and Eric looked up to find Mark, Sarah’s brother, along with a group of boys standing before them. “So, where were you two going?” Mark asked.

“To practice.” Nick replied calmly.

Mark chuckled and smiled coldly. “Are you sure you guys were going to practice and not trying to think of a way to skip so Romeo here doesn’t have to deal with my sister? I must’ve mistaken you two for these guys I overheard talking shit about my sister, or you two jackasses must think I was born yesterday!”

When Mark made a lunge towards Eric, Nick grabbed him and had pulled him out of Mark’s path, causing Mark to catch nothing but air and fall to the ground. “Run.” Nick said as he shoved Eric towards the opposite hall.

They both began sprinting down the corridor as fast as they could. Nick glanced over his shoulder to see that Mark had regained his composure and now he and his friends were running after them.

“What do we do?” Eric panted.

Nick looked around, trying to think of a way to get themselves out of this mess. “We gotta split up.” he finally replied as he took a sudden right turn while Eric went left.

To Nick’s dismay, Mark and the guys decided to go down the direction he had taken. Nick tried to lose them by turning left down another corridor, but found himself screeching to a halt; he was at a dead end. He turned around to find that the guys wasn’t behind him, but he could hear them coming. He looked around, desperately searching for a place to hide, but he had nowhere to go. Sighing heavily, he gave up and just stood at the end of the corridor, shutting his eyes tightly as he waited for them to find him and beat the crap out of him.

Mark and the rest of the guys turned the corner they saw Nick go down, baffled at the fact that no one was there. “Where the hell did he go?” Mark exclaimed.

Nick cracked one eye open to find Mark and the guys searching around, searching for him. Confused, Nick looked down and realized for the first time that he was transparent. He gasped, causing one of the guys to look over in his direction, but still he couldn’t be seen.

“He’s gotta be here somewhere.” the guy whispered to Mark.

As they continued to search around, Nick decided to use his invisibility to his advantage and began to slink away from them. Once he knew that he was in the clear, he looked down to find himself slowly but surely becoming visible yet again.

“Whoa…” Nick muttered to himself in shock, not being able to believe the fact that for a moment he was invisible.