- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow you guys!! It's a freaking update!! Lol. Well, thanks to some special individuals, I was given the inspiration to break away from writers block trying to consume me and was able to work on updating this story. As some of ya'll know, I recently joined some other fellow authors and had created a story that's out. It's funny, ya'll should go check it out! As for other news, I have more new and exciting projects on the horizon, which includes collabing with Kelly (AJsKellyMouse) and Ashley (MonkeyAbu), so look out for those stories that'll be out sometime soon, it'll be GREAT!! Lol. But for now, here's an update on this story. This update actually turned out really long, so I decided to divide it up into two chapters, so I'll be giving my lovely readers two chappies to read, yay!! Lol. Hopefully I can stay on top of these stories and not keeping ya'll hanging for so long. I'm gonna try my best, but don't hold me to it!! Lol. Thanks for those who are continuing to read and review this story, and sorry that this chapter note is gonna be a novel in itself, lol. Anywho, I'll shut the hell up now, so read and enjoy!! =] AND PLEASE REVIEW!!

“Okay… I want you all to think back to your origins, to when you first discovered your power. From what Will has told me before, you each possess an elemental power as well as a mental power.”

The five of them were all hooked up to machines that were to record their status through this whole test trial. James continued on with his explanation, “You all must have discovered your powers sometime during your adolescent or pre-adolescent years. I am going to help you guys learn how to control your powers. Some of you may have already experienced first hand what it feels like not to be in control of your powers.” he eyed AJ and Kevin as he said this, “You’ll feel extremely weak and listless, leaving you in a vulnerable state, unable to use your powers and to defend yourselves. Most importantly, if you don’t learn how to gain control over your gift, it can ultimately consume you, automatically killing you and those around you.”

The five of them looked over at each other, not liking the sound of that. “So, shall we get started?” James asked as he turned around to type a few things on his laptop.

Nick rose his hand, not even realizing that James back was now facing them. “Uh… you know that last part you said, what if that happens to any one of us during this… trial?”

“It won’t.” James simply replied as he continued typing on his computer. Once he was complete, he turned around to face them. “I’ll make sure of it.”

Brian sighed, “If anything happens you guys… just know that I love ya’ll and I have you guys on my will.”

“Really?” Nick asked, sounding a little too excited.

Howie rolled his eyes, “It wouldn’t even matter Nick cause we’d all be dead anyway.”

“Is this the moment in people’s lives where they come clean before anything bad happens?” AJ asked no one in particular. “Cause if so, then I have a confession to make.”

Kevin groaned, “Will you guys stop over exaggerating?”

“AJ really doesn’t have the biggest dick in the band!” Nick blurted out.

AJ simply chuckled, “That’s not what your mom said.”

That caused Nick to bust out laughing, “I don’t care… she’s not my real mom anyway!”

That statement caused them all to break out in laughter, slightly easing the tension. James snickered as well, shaking his head at their antics, “Now that you guys got it all out, can we carry on?”

They all fell silent immediately, training their focus back to the matter at hand. James sighed as he set up some final things on his laptop. “Lets take this one by one, shall we? Starting with Mr. Howard Dorough.”

Howie stared down at James, who was now making his way towards him. “What do you want me to do?”

“I want you to think on your power. You each are capable of doing something extraordinary, and while you may have had a taste of what you can do, you all have yet to discover the extent of your powers. I want you to show me what you know, show me what you can do.”

Howie knew he could show James that he could teleport, that was easy; it was his other power that he would have a problem with. Not too long ago, he realized that he had the ability to bend air and create wind forces, but was quick to learn how utilizing that power easily left him fatigued.

“Just what I know, right?” Howie asked to make sure, not really wanting to put himself through that exhausting pain.

James nodded, “Just what you know.”

Howie gave a slight nod as he tried to focus on his power. He glanced around the lab, wondering where he could transport. Once he settled on a spot, he closed his eyes and imagined the area he selected to transport to in his head. He counted down from three mentally, and as soon as he reached “one”, he felt himself propel forward, the feeling as if nothing but a gust of wind had blown past him. When he opened his eyes, he found himself standing in the corner of the lab, the spot he had selected, staring back at his four brothers and James.

“Whoa.” Nick said in shock, his mouth hanging agape. “That was fucking awesome D!”

Howie smiled and shrugged, “It’s nothing really.”

“Is there anything else you know how to do Howard?” James asked as he grabbed his clipboard, jotting some things down.

Howie’s smile fell, “Anything else?” he repeated. When James nodded, he took a deep breath in and sighed heavily, “There is, but… I don’t know if I can do it.”

“I know I told you guys to just show me what you know, but ultimately it’s important that I find out all that you guys are capable of doing. I’m here to help you guys discover all your powers and gain control over it. If you can’t demonstrate it for me, why don’t you tell me what you can do.”

Howie began to nibble on his bottom lip. “You’re not gonna let anything happen, right?”

James simply nodded, “You guys have my word Howard.”

Howie closed his eyes and focused on bringing forth the other power within him. He felt all his energy being drained from the rest of his body to the very core of him, and before he could warn anyone for what he was about to do, he felt a sudden surge leave his body rather forcefully.

James’ eyes widened as he realized the strong force Howie released from himself was heading towards him. He quickly dodged to the side, barely escaping the path of the invisible force. A strong wind from the passing force pushed him to the ground.

Howie tried to remain standing on his two feet, but his weakened state caught the best of him. His legs buckled from underneath him, causing him to collapse to his knees. The other four immediately rushed to Howie’s side while James gathered himself up from the floor.

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry.” Howie muttered out weakly, trying to get his bearings straight.

“Just take it easy D.” Kevin voiced soothingly, his hand on Howie’s shoulder to prevent him from standing up.

Howie rose his head a little to see James approaching, “I didn’t mean to… I couldn’t focus on what I was doing.”

“It’s okay Howard,” James assured, “nothing happened, everyone is okay. You did good pal. I won’t make you do this again, but this is something we’re gonna learn to work on and control, okay?”

Howie faintly nodded. James patted him on the shoulder, “You can rest up now. Kevin, if you could assist Howard to the guest room. Nickolas, you’re up next.”

Nick’s eyes bulged slightly. “Me?” he asked incredulously, pointing to himself. “After what happened to Howie, do you really think we should continue on?”

“Absolutely.” James replied matter-of-factly. “I told you guys using or discovering a power you have yet to control will leave you extremely weak. It becomes lethal to you and those around you when you let the power consume and control you. I guarantee that the latter will not happen to any of you with me around. You guys may experience sheer exhaustion, as what happened with Howard, but it is an effect that’ll only occur if you guys do not learn how to gain control over your powers.”

Nick glanced away to see Kevin walking back into the lab. He knew James had a point, they’d all have to discover all their powers and the extent of it, but he just didn’t want to hurt himself or the others in the process. Taking a deep breath in, he closed his eyes and concentrated on becoming transparent. Unlike the others, he had no feeling whatsoever when he used his power to make himself invisible, which meant that he had to learn how to train his concentration and trust his instincts to let him know if his power worked. If they ever were in a troubling situation and he needed to use his invisibility to help get them out, he couldn’t let his uncertainty get the best of him.

When he opened his eyes, he looked down to find that he was transparent, and all the guys were looking in different directions, wondering where he was. The only person that was staring straight at him was Kevin.

“Any other abnormalities Nickolas?” James asked as he wrote down some stats on his clipboard.

Nick became visible once again, “Uh… I suppose I have this obsession with water?” he replied with uncertainty.

James stared long and hard at him, “I’ve already told you that nothing will happen to you or anyone else in here. If you can’t take my word for it and trust me, how can I help you?”

Nick sighed heavily as he held his hands out before him. He looked around, looking for a target. “If I were you, I’d move outta the way.” Nick warned.

As James moved out of the way, Nick clasped his hands together and something began to form within his two hands. They all witnessed an uncertain force being drawn towards Nick’s hands and water dripping down. Without warning, Nick thrusted his hands out and forward, releasing a strong jet stream of water. Unfortunately, he lost control of his power and instead of the blast of water heading towards his selected target, it headed straight for the guys, straight towards Brian to be exact.

Everything happened so fast, no one being able to get Brian to move out of the path of the stream of water. Brian acted rather quickly though and used his power, the stream of water going right through him and hitting the wall behind him. Nick staggered for a moment, but quickly regained his composure.

“As you can tell… I’m still trying to work… with this power.” Nick breathed out.

James nodded, “I see…” he looked over at Brian, “Well Brian, since you just gave us a little taste of what you can do, care to show me what else you can do?”

Brian shrugged, “You wouldn’t happen to have a spoon, would you?”

They all kind of stared at him for a while, until James finally turned and walked away to retrieve what Brian had asked for. Not even a minute later, James returned with a metal spoon in his hand. Brian grabbed the spoon that James handed to him and he held it up before him. None of the guys’ knew this, but whenever he tried to bend or control large amounts of metal, it drained him not only psychically, but mentally as well, so he decided to start off small by bending a metal spoon.

“Do you need us to stand back for this or something?” Nick asked, wondering if Brian would do anything to get back at him for losing control of his power and almost blasting him with a powerful jet of water.

But Brian didn’t say anything in reply. Instead, he stared long and hard at the metal spoon, focusing his concentration solely on the metal object. All of a sudden, the spoon began bending within his hand, but no physical force was necessary. Brian closed his eyes, releasing a breath he didn’t even realize he was holding and held the bent spoon up for all of them to see.

“What is that, you have like… telekinesis or something?” Nick asked.

“He can control metal.” James answered for Brian. “And from what we witnessed earlier, walk through objects I believe.”

Brian gave a small nod, “I‘m also a technopath. That’s how I was able to disenable those weapons.”

James began to record everything he had witnessed from Brian and all that he was telling him. “Thank you Brian. Alex, you ready to show me what you can do?”

AJ bit his bottom lip, “I don’t know if that’s a good idea. I could very easily lose control of what I can do.”

“And like I’ve said Alex, I won’t let anything happen to you boys.”

Taking James’ word for it, he decided to show him what he knew he was fully capable of at the moment. Closing his eyes, he held his arms out to the side and concentrated on bringing forth his power. He was able to make people combust into flames, something that he just discovered he could do thanks to his anger, but he wanted to refrain from doing that and could only hope that he was concentrating on bringing forth the correct power he wanted to display.

He felt a deep warmth start at the very core of him, which soon began to spread out through the rest of his body. All of a sudden, his whole body burst into flames. The rest of them stood there in complete shock, scared to see their friend on fire and hoping that it was apart of his power and not a mishap. When AJ decided that his display had gone on long enough, he cut his concentration, causing the flames that encased him to immediately dissipate. They all stood there and stared at AJ in disbelief, amazed at how he stood before them, no visible burn marks to his skin. In fact, except for his clothes that were slightly burnt, leaving gaping holes to see his unaffected body, AJ looked perfectly normal and fine.

“Holy shit AJ!” Nick choked out. “What the hell…”

AJ snickered at Nick’s appalled state. “And if you think about coming at me with your hydro ass, I will not hesitate to set your ass on fire.”

Nick held his hands up in defeat, “Why don’t you go on and show him what else you told me you can do.”

AJ shrugged, “Ain’t nothing really.” he simply extended his arm and rose his hand, and with that, Nick levitated off the ground.

“WHAT THE FUCK?!” Nick exclaimed as he was suddenly lifted off the ground and was now hovering.

James laughed and rolled his eyes, “That’ll be enough Alex.”

AJ glanced up at Nick, laughing at how Nick’s eyes were wide, an expression of utter fear written all over his face. “If you don’t stop struggling, you’re gonna make me drop you.”

Nick tried his best to still his erratic movements. “Okay… can you let me down now, please?”

AJ looked back at Kevin and Brian, “I found a way to make him shutup whenever he gets on our nerves.” he told them as he slowly lowered Nick back down on the ground.

Once Nick felt his two feet touch the ground, he slowly inched away from AJ, “If you ever do that again, I will douse your ass.”

James chuckled at their antics, “Last but not least,” he looked dead on into Kevin’s eyes. “Mr. Richardson.”