- Text Size +

There I sat in this large room, tapping my fingers impatiently on the table. I glanced over at my lawyer, who was checking his watch for the umpteenth time. We were waiting for five couples to walk through that door, for they would be taking care of my five sons. James and I set out to find families I knew my sons would fit in perfectly with, and everyone would believe that these parents conceived my sons.

The door open, and both my lawyer and I sprang up from where we were seated, watching as the couples filed in. They all looked pleasant and hopeful, and the more I stared at them, the more I thought my sons could pass as their kids.

“Welcome everyone,” my lawyer started. “My name is Kendrick Wilson, but you all can call me Ken, and this is my client Debra Redford.” I smiled as I rose my hand. “You may be seated.”

On cue we all sat down, staring at each other with nothing but smiles plastered on our faces. I don’t know how I was able to sit in front of these adults, people that would soon be taking my sons, and be so calm about it. I felt horrible for just giving my sons away, they were my life, my everything, but I knew it was something that had to be done.

“Now,” Ken voiced, “With getting straight to the point, Debra was looking for five families to take care of her five sons. She was looking for families she knew her sons would fit right in and no questions would be asked. To make a long story short, she’s separating and giving her sons up for adoption to keep them away from their father, her husband William Redford.”

One of the parents rose their hands, “May I ask why these kids are being kept away from their father?”

“Abuse.”

“Will that affect us in anyway?”

“I assure you that no one knows this adoption is taking place, not even the father. You were chosen to take her sons because you all look to be probable parents and no questions will be asked. Here is everything you need to know about the boy you will be receiving.” he handed out a folder to each parent. “Legal documentations and everything. We will pay for the change of each boy’s last name.”

I looked down at the papers that were in front of me and began to tear at seeing my sons’ new names. Kevin Scott Richardson, Howard Dwyane Dorough, Brian Thomas Littrell, Alexander James McLean, and Nickolas Gene Carter… all my sons, but not anymore.

I sat there, feeling emotionless and numb as I watched the families look over all the papers that were all about my sons. I vaguely remember each couple thanking me as they made their way out of the room, probably to go get my… their new son. Once everyone was gone, I simply placed my head in my hands and began to cry. Ken sat down beside me and I felt him begin to rub my back. “It’s gonna be okay Debra…” he assured. “You’ll see your sons again.”

“They’re no longer my sons… they won’t even remember that they’re brothers, let alone who I am to them. I handed them over to another family, as if they’re nothing but pets… what kind of mother am I?”

“A good mother. You’re protecting your children.”

I hope he’s right… I sighed heavily, god I hope he’s right. At that moment, a vision came to me. I saw my five sons, all grown up and reunited somehow. The five of them were on a stage, singing and performing together, not one of them knowing that they were all connected more than they thought. I shook my head of the vision… I set out to separate my sons, to protect them, but as fate would have it, they somehow find each other… that’s when I realized that they were destined to come back together.