- Text Size +

James woke abruptly to the sound of his doorbell ringing. He rose a bit and had rubbed his eyes, glancing over at the clock which read 3:15 a.m. Sighing heavily, he pushed himself up out of bed and made his way downstairs. He looked through the peephole and saw Debra standing there crying, holding Nickolas in her arms while her four remaining sons stood by her side.

He quickly opened the door and held it open for them to come inside. “Debra, what’s the matter? What happened?”

“I’m really sorry for intruding and waking you up James, it’s just… can we stay the night here please? I have nowhere else to go.”

“Of course you can hon.” He knew there was something Debra wanted to tell him, but she didn’t want to talk in front of the kids. “Kevin, why don’t you bring your brother’s to the guest room, you know where it is right?”

Kevin nodded as he reached out to grab Nick from out of his mother’s arms. Once Debra knew that her five sons were in the guest room, she turned back to James and began to bawl. “I don’t know what to do…”

“Start by telling me what happened.” James replied as he led her into his kitchen. He turned on the light and had sat her down at the table. “Let me get you some water, you’re shaking like a leaf.”

“It’s just…” she paused and took a deep breath in, trying to calm herself down before she told him the story. “Tonight I came across some documents in Will’s office and had found out some things…”

“What kind of things?” he asked as he placed a tall glass of cold water in front of her.

“That he is not the father of my four sons…”

James’ eyes widened, “Then who is?”

“This whole time he was taking sperm donations from a clinic and was injecting them into my embryos, I don’t how the hell…” she suddenly paused, memory flooding back and hitting her like a ton of bricks. “Oh god…”

“What is it?”

“He drugged me… that’s how he was able to do it. The times we made love, he always offered me a drink and I… I couldn’t remember everything after that.”

James closed his eyes in disbelief. “After I diagnosed him with testicular cancer, he lied to me saying that he was miraculously able to bear children for some reason… after I told him that it was impossible, he told me about everything… about his experimentation and giving the chemical to you.”

“He told you that?”

“Yeah… when I questioned him about why his four sons looked… different, he insisted it was affects from the chemicals in your body.”

“That’s what he told me too… and like a fool, I believed him.”

“I should’ve known…”

“After I found that out… I left him, took the children, and he came at us… firing a gun at us. If it wasn’t for…” she paused, the memory resurfacing, causing her to break down in tears. “god, if it wasn’t for him giving me his concoction… we wouldn’t be here.”

“But you are here.” James said as he grabbed her hands, hoping to cease her shaking. “And that’s all that matters. The six of you are here, safe and sound.”

“God, I don’t know what to do James…” she cried out. “He said… I thought he loved me, but I find out that our marriage, our family was nothing but a plan to put his experiment into action. I’ve cursed my children…”

“You did not curse your children Debra, you hear me?”

“They won’t be normal James… they’re nothing but experiments to Will, generated humans that are supernatural. I want them to live normal lives.”

“And I’m sure they will. There’s gotta be a way to create an antidote… I’m sure there’s a way to either counteract their abilities or completely cure them. We’ll find a way Debbie.”

Debra looked up at James with hopeful eyes. “You’ll help us?”

“Of course I will.” he replied as he got up and grabbed her in a hug. “It’ll all be okay, I promise you.”

Debra remained in that hug for a while until something went off in her mind. She had a vision of Will going after her and finding her. In the vision he had killed James for helping her and was now about to kill her. She saw her sons, trying to stop him, but there was no use… he killed her, and was now after her sons.

“No…” she muttered, pulling away from the hug. “It won’t be okay.”

James looked down at her, confused. “What do you mean it won’t be okay? I’m not gonna let anything happen.”

“He’s gonna come looking for me James… he knows I’m with you. We gotta leave tonight and the only way…” she paused, knowing what she had to do, which brought tears to her eyes. “the only way everything will be okay is if I separate my sons.”

“What?!” James asked in complete shock. “Debra, are you listening to yourself? You’re gonna separate and put your sons up for adoption?”

“It’s the only way I can save them James, there’s no other way.” she cried. “He will find them if we’re together… I saw… he came over here and had killed you for helping us. He then killed me and went after my sons. I can’t let that happen… he’s gonna lock my sons up and use them for his experiment, exploit them to the government. We gotta leave and find an antidote quick… and after that, I gotta let them go.”

James stared at her with sad eyes, knowing that she was right. “We also gotta make them forget…” she whispered. “Kevin knows too much, as do Howard and Brian. Alex and Nick are too young, but I’d rather wipe their memory slate clean that to risk anything.”