- Text Size +
People have a hard time believing the fact that I, Crystal Miller, is best friends with none other than Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys. His father and my mother used to have a thing going on (of course before he met, married and had children with Jane), which was how we were introduced to each other. He was your typical beautiful blond haired blue eyed god while I was this curly brunette dweeb with freckles adorned on my face. Although we were both very different, we seemed to have a lot in common.

Looking at a person like Nick and a person like me, you would’ve never thought us to be the best of friends, you would’ve never thought a person like Nick to befriend a person like me, which makes our friendship all the more special. As our friendship and bond continued to grow, so did my feelings for him. As the years passed, I was beginning to see him no longer as an older brother, but as a special boy who I had feelings for. Of course I never did confess them to him, because it seemed as if our friendship was impossible to everybody else, so how could I possibly think that our relationship could go any further?

Of course I was nothing but a sister in his eyes, for he always found himself running to me to ask me for advice, to ask me why girls were so complicated, to cry to me on how he had his heart broken. I could only sit there and bite my tongue as I tried my best to console him, how I wanted to tell them that if he was with me, he wouldn’t have to go through all the pain the other girls were putting him through. All he’d have to do is give me the time of day, and I’d make it worthwhile.

When I found out that he auditioned to be apart of a boy band and made it, I was really happy for him. I’d always tease him by saying that I’d be at home, watching him perform on MTV while holding a sign and cheering for him as if I was really there watching him. My heart completely broke though when he told me what would happen if he decided to pursue his dream. Music was always his passion, and I was no one to stand in the way of his dreams. Sadly, I told him I understood and encouraged him to go out and make his dreams come true, and that I’d always be here if he ever needed anything.

At first he would call me to tell me about everything he was experiencing, and I was truly excited for him. Slowly, the calls dissipated into letters, in which he told me that he didn’t have time to call so he sent me letters whenever he could. The letters soon stopped, and after that we had lost touch with each other. The only time I ever saw him was on the TV, being adored and rushed by mobs of girls, being apart of one of the biggest boy bands in the world, The Backstreet Boys. The more I stared at his smile, the more my smile began to form a frown. Deep inside I was wondering if he remembered me, but the more I saw him in the media, the more I convinced myself that I was nothing but a forgotten memory.

That all changed one fateful night though.

****************

Nick sat there as he downed his drink, waiting for the next stripper to come out and perform her number. The whole night he wasn’t looking at anyone, wasn’t looking for anyone… he simply came there to enjoy a few beers and relieve his mind of the tension and pressure that was surrounding him.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for our next girl, a girl who’ll take you to another world, a girl that’ll leave a tantalizing taste on your lips, leaving you wanting, craving more. Put your hands together for Candy!”

Nick glanced up at the stage and did a double take with the girl that had strutted out in her stilettos. Her hair was tied up in a tight bun, and she was wrapped in a beige trench coat, obviously hiding whatever she had underneath. Her freckles stood out prominently with the glasses she wore on her face, which made her amber eyes appear mysterious yet inviting. At that moment, she looked like a classy businesswoman who was ready to meet with a client.

That all changed though when the music started, for she ripped off her trench coat, revealing a tight pink leather outfit that seemed to hug her breasts and curves in all the right ways. She took off her glasses and tossed it to the side while she tugged her hair out of the bun, letting her loose curls cascade freely down past her shoulders. Her luscious lips were painted a glistening crimson red, which made her lips look full and plump, wanting to be suckled on. Her body moved fluently with the music, making the guys in the club drool and stand at full attention. Nick, on the other hand, was simply captivated by her beauty.

Nick’s heart began to pound wildly within his chest when he noticed that Candy was now making her way over towards him. His breath hitched in his throat when she had made her way off the stage and was now straddling him. Her looks were to die for, her scent was unforgettable, and the more he stared at her the more he realized that she looked… very familiar.

“Crys-tal?” Nick stated out slowly in almost a whisper.

The girl in his lap stopped grinding and her eyes widened. “Nick?” she asked back.

They both could only stare at each other, not one of them making a move to extract themselves for one another. Before another word was said, Crystal flung herself up off of Nick’s lap and had jumped back on stage, storming her way out. Nick simply sat there in shock, not being able to believe that his best friend, a girl he grew up with and learned to call his little sister, was just stripping for him and grinding in his lap.

Snapping himself out of his state of shock, Nick jumped up from his seat and began to make his way backstage, in hopes to find Crystal and talk things out. At first people tried to stop him from proceeding to the back, but when they realized that he was a Backstreet Boy, they let him go. Nick busted into a dressing room, finding Crystal sitting at her vanity station, crying and wiping her makeup off.

“Crystal?” he called out, slowly walking towards her.

“Go away.” she groaned as she kept her back to Nick.

“What’s going on? What are you doing here?”

“I said go away, leave me alone Nick.” she cried out as she finally turned to face him. “Just leave me alone, please.”

“No Crystal, I won’t leave you alone… we used to be the best of friends, what happened?”

“Life is what happened Nick!” she snapped back. “You moved on to become this rock and roll star and had forgotten all about me. I didn’t want to sit there and wait for you, so I moved on with my life as well.”

“You’ve moved on to this Crystal? Stripping for a club full of perverted men who pay you to take your clothes off?”

“You don’t know shit about me Nick!” Crystal screamed, tears streaming down her face. “We haven’t seen each other in years and you can’t just expect to walk back in my life thinking you know me and what I’m all about. So, why don’t you do yourself a favor and stop acting like you care.”

“I do care Crystal, why do you think I stopped caring?”

“You stopped calling Nick! You stopped calling, you stopped writing letters, you stopped being my best friend.”

“I stopped because…” Nick sighed heavily when he saw Crystal turn away. “I stopped because I loved you.” Hearing those words made Crystal’s movements and her heart stop. “I stopped because with every call, with every letter it was getting harder and harder for me to hide or even deny my feelings. Walking away from you was one of the hardest things I have done in my life. I left to pursue my dreams without telling you how I really felt about you… I left without tell you that you were apart of my dreams that I wanted to pursue. With every call and letter, I was getting closer and closer to revealing my feelings to you, but I was scared… scared that you didn’t feel the same way, scared that you would turn away from me… scared that I’d lose my best friend.”

Crystal glanced up at Nick, tears brimming her eyes. Nick slowly walked up to her and just stood in front of her, staring down into her chocolate brown eyes. Without saying another word, he slowly inched his hand up towards her cheek and began to caress her soft, delicate flesh. Crystal’s eyes fluttered close as she felt the rough yet gentle pads of his fingers dance graciously across her face, wiping her tears away.

Nick took a deep breath in, “I’m not scared anymore Crystal… I’m willing to take the fall and all that comes with it. I love you Crystal.”

Crystal smiled as she leaned up to kiss him, her fingers threading through his blond hair. They were both caught in that moment, in a kiss that seemed like it never wanted to end, a kiss that promised them so many things for tomorrow. Crystal finally yet hesitantly broke the kiss and had leaned her forehead against Nick’s lips, “Where do we go from here?” she whispered.

Nick kissed her forehead and smiled, “Towards forever.”