- Text Size +
Three

Dirt covered his boots as Brian paced furiously back and forth. That one escape could cost him a whole lot. What would hurt most would be the possibility of his family getting hurt. He couldn’t let that happen, he wouldn’t let it happen. He paused as the hairs on the back of his neck prickled. Turning around slowly, he was ready to spot anyone that meant him harm.

At first he saw no one, then he spotted a young girl in between the buildings staring right at him, her gray eyes boring into him. And she wasn’t moving, either. He stared at her in surprise. Why wasn’t she running? It didn’t matter, he decided. He started to head toward her when Serafina called to him.

“Kael, where are you going?” she asked. Kael, the name Zator had given him when he’d entered the Emperor’s service.

“I saw someone between those buildings over there.” Brian turned and pointed just in time to see the girl beginning to run.

“Let’s get after her!” Serafina began to chase after her, drawing a laser gun from her belt.

“Let me handle it, Sera,” Brian said as he pulled her back.

“Kael, my father wanted me to stay by your side at all times, remember?”

Brian sighed. “Fine, but keep up.”

Sera scoffed. “I think you’ll be the one trying to keep up with me.” She chased after the girl, with Brian hot on her heels.

~*~

“Here they come. Howie, you know what to do?”

“I’m ready.”

~*~

Where did this girl learn to run? Brian wondered as he and Sera chased the girl up the hill and into the trees. The hiss of Serafina’s laser rang through the air and hit the girl… then went right through her. Brian stopped immediately and grabbed Serafina’s arm.

“Why did she—“

“It’s a hologram,” Brian explained. “We’ve got company.”

“Company? Who?”

“Us.”

Brian tensed as a familiar figure stepped out from behind a tree. “Kevin. How did you find us?”

“Zanell had a dream last night about this place,” Kevin replied as he moved closer. He was confronting them as Power Lord, the crystal in his amulet glowing softly.

“A dream?”

“So what?” Serafina argued. “He shouldn’t have seen this and I know how to fix that.”

Brian turned to her as she pressed another button on her laser gun. “Serafina, don’t.”

But she didn’t listen. Raising the gun, she fired at Kevin. The shot went right through him and hit the tree behind him.

“What? Another hologram?”

“Howie!” Brian shouted. “Where are you? I know you’re here, so come out. Or are you afraid of us?”

Howie stepped out from behind a tree. “We’re not afraid, Brian.”

Brian chuckled. “Really? And why is that?”

He paused as someone else came into view on the other side of him. Another Howie, this time dressed as Illusioneer. Before he could speak again, Kevin appeared once more. Like Howie and Illusioneer, Power Lord stepped closer as well. Soon, Brian and Serafina were surrounded by two of Howie, Kevin, AJ, Nick and Zanell, one being dressed in their superhero outfits, and the other dressed in casual clothing.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Brian demanded.

“We came to bring you home, Brian,” Nick explained, as his double, Ninja Man, brandished his swords. Serafina scoffed at the ninja’s display of weaponry.

“If those swords are supposed to scare us, you’re not doing a very good job.”

“Sera.” Brian’s voice held warning. Serafina glowered, but held her tongue.

As Ordnance, AJ stepped forward and extended his hand. “Just give us the guns, and we can all go home.”

"No.” Serafina refused. She stepped forward to try to swing at Ordnance, but Brian whirled and gripped her arm.

“Serafina, settle down,” he growled.

"I am not going to let them kidnap me, Kael.”

“Just give him the gun.”

“What?” Are you insane?

Listen, there are trackers on our suits, Brian explained as he used the mental link that Serafina had created. Damoth knows where we are, and I’m sure he can sense we’re in trouble. He’ll be coming soon.

“It’s going to be okay,” he said aloud as he took out his laser and placed it into Ordnance’s waiting hand.

“I don’t trust them.”

It doesn’t matter. “Just give him the gun.”

Serafina stared at him for a few seconds before finally handing her gun over to Ordnance. He smiled and nodded before turning to Brian.

“What kind of name is Kael?”

“It’s the name Zator gave me when I became his Chief Commander,” Brian replied.

AJ scoffed. “Is he trying to take away your humanity or something?”

Brian scowled, but refused to respond, knowing he’d be in trouble if he did.

“Let’s go,” Kevin ordered as he grabbed Brian’s arm and guided him into a walk.

They hadn’t gone but a few steps when two bolts of energy hit Kevin and Illusioneer in the shoulders. Both men crumbled to the forest floor as the illusions Howie had created vanished, leaving only Illusioneer, Kevin, Nick, Ordnance and Zanell. Nick immediately activated his amulet and drew a sword as soon as the transformation was done. Zator’s soldiers were already upon them, and two had forced Kevin to his feet. Zanell was at Howie’s side, as she knew she couldn’t do much good other than to heal his wound. Damoth stepped into view and tossed a laser gun to Serafina and Brian.

“Alex, Nickolas, put your weapons down,” Brian ordered.

“Brian, what are you doing?” Kevin demanded. “This isn’t like you.”

One of the soldiers cuffed him on the jaw and he stumbled, lost his footing and fell. “You will give proper respect to Commander Kael!”

Kevin managed to get to a kneeling position. He pressed his hand to the wound on his shoulder, trying to stop the blood flow. The soldier that had spoken yanked him to his feet. Kevin cried out as the pain shot through his body.

“Kevin!”

Serafina aimed her gun at Nick as he started forward. He froze, staring wide-eyed at the small group. Brian hadn’t even stopped that soldier from hitting Kevin. Glancing at Brian’s face, he could almost see a look of amusement on his face.

“Brian,” he murmured.

Brian didn’t look at Nick. Instead he motioned to Zanell. “Bring her here.”

Damoth led Zanell over to them, then stepped back.

“We wouldn’t want Kevin to die now, would we, your Highness?” Brian asked. “I saw you heal Howie, Zanell. Do the same to Kevin.”

“You can’t order her to do anything!”

“Alexander, if she values her life and Kevin’s life,” Brian replied, “she’ll do it.”

Nick gasped. “You wouldn’t!”

“Don’t push me.”

Zanell placed her hand on Kevin’s shoulder. She could feel him trembling beneath her touch. Glancing at his face, she saw that he had paled from the loss of blood.

“Please hurry,” he whispered.

The tingling traveled down her arm to Kevin’s wound. She could feel it healing beneath her touch, and stepped away when she finished. There was no trace that someone had just recently shot him. A gentle hand on her arm made her turn around. Nick gazed down at her, a small smile on his face. He led her away, then turned to look at the man that was once his friend.

“Brian, or Kael, or whoever you are. Why are you doing this?” Kevin asked.

Brian turned to him. “I’m following orders.”

“You attacked a town full of innocent people! You’re serving a monster! You—“

Brian lunged forward and socked him hard in the gut. Kevin doubled over, gasping for breath.

“When I want your opinion on who I serve, I’ll ask for it.” He forced Kevin to straighten. “Now, I assume you got here by some ship, correct?”

Kevin stared at the man he once knew as his cousin. He was waiting expectantly for an answer. Kevin looked behind Brian at their friends. They stood together, watching him, afraid. Was there a way they’d make it out of this alive? Slowly, Kevin nodded in defeat. “It’s up the hill.”

“Well, then show the way,” Brian insisted, an insincere smile on his lips. “Maybe I’ll let you fly it one last time.”

Kevin turned and began the journey toward their ship, a deep sense of failure and misery welling up inside him. His stomach throbbed where Brian had hit him with that unexpected blow.

~*~

Brian spoke as the group stepped on board the ship. “This hunk of metal is what you flew?”

“You’ve flown on this ‘hunk of metal’ several times,” Kevin declared. He tried to hide the fear despite the tip of Brian’s laser gun between his shoulder blades.

Brian removed the laser and stepped in front of him. “Why don’t you take her on one more flight?”

“What?” Kevin stared down at his cousin.

Brian motioned upward. “Zator’s ship. He’ll be so glad to see all of you, especially,” he looked over to Nick and Zanell, “little Zanell.”

Nick started forward, but was held back by Howie. Brian sneered, then turned back to Kevin and scowled. “That wasn’t a question, Power Lord,” he spat the name. “Sit down and fly it.”

AJ stepped forward, reaching for his guns. “Why you—“

But Brian was faster. His laser gun was now pointed at Nick’s heart. “Sit down and buckle up, McLean. Unless you want to see the effects of a close-range stun.”

AJ swallowed, then did as directed. Quietly and fearfully, the others took their seats as well.

“Get us airborne,” Brian commanded.

Kevin glanced over at the co-pilot’s seat, where Howie was just strapping in. He felt the elder’s glance, met his gaze and nodded. Kevin swallowed, then leaned forward to flip the switch that would ignite the ship’s engine.

~~~

Brian slipped a fresh jacket over a new uniform as he entered the lift. Shortly after arrival on the emperor’s ship, he’d made sure that all five of his “prisoners” were unconscious before transferring them to cells.

“Destination,” the computerized monotone voice requested.

“Prison level,” Brian replied. He steadied himself as he felt the vibration and movement of the lift as it descended. The ride was quick and Brian prayed that they were all still unconscious. He would hate to see their eyes when they saw him standing there.

The trip was quickly over and the lift door hissed open to reveal the five-meter distance to the main door of the prison. Straightening his shoulders, Brian stepped confidently off the lift and strode over to the two guards posted outside the prison deck. They snapped to attention immediately.

“Commander Kael,” the first guard greeted, “what can we do for you sir?”

“I’d like to see the prisoners.”

“Certainly, sir.”

The guard turned and pressed his palm to the DNA pad that would open the door. Moments later, the door slid open and Brian was granted access. He entered the main room, where eight cells lined half the room in a semi-circle. Five of the eight cells were occupied with the bodies of his friends. To his relief, they were perfectly still. But that relief gave way to guilt as he saw the battered form of his cousin lying in the center cell. A dark bruise had begun to form on his jaw, and most likely there was one on his stomach as well where Brian himself had hit Kevin. He looked away for a moment or two to compose himself, then he turned back.

On Kevin’s left, Zanell and Nick lay in separate cells, both perhaps in Nightmare Valley due to the slight twitching he could see. Zanell was separated from the others, three cells down from Nick. Looking to Kevin’s right, AJ and Howie had also been separated. Like their elder companion, they were perfectly still. He hoped they would all stay that way a little while longer.

“Serafina said I’d find you here, Kael.”

Brian turned with surprise. “Sir! I didn’t hear you come in.”

“I wanted to view the prisoners,” Zator replied, “and I was looking for you to discuss something.”

“Well, sir, you’ve found me.”

Zator chuckled. “That I have. I wanted to congratulate you on your work today. You did well.”

Brian turned back to the cells. “Thank you, sir.”

“However,” Zator continued, “I’m disappointed that you didn’t bring me their amulets.”

Oh no. Think, Brian. Think! “They weren’t wearing the amulets, sir,” he said. “They must be hidden somewhere that only these five know about.”

After a few moments, Zator nodded. “Very well, then. I’ll accept that for now. But,” he turned to his servant, “when they wake up, I want you to find out where they have hidden the amulets. Use any means necessary.” A demonic grin formed on his face. “Torture them if you have to, Kael.”

“A-aye sir.” Brian replied, instantly regretting the break in his voice. But Zator didn’t seem to notice as he left.

He turned back to the cells and watched his friends sleep a moment longer, then he, too, left the room.

~*~

Howie winced as he fought down a bit of nausea. He remembered the sickly sweet smell of gas just before everything went blank... He recalled seeing Brian's stony face, the cold glimmer in his blue eyes as he barked out orders to his soldiers. Orders that resulted in a short-lived scuffle, a few glancing blows, and ended with the black oblivion of some kind of knockout gas.

The sensation of betrayal hit Howie hard as he sat up. Dizzy, he paused a moment to get his bearings. With dismay, he realized he was in some kind of cell. A prison cell. Alone. He swallowed, stood carefully on wobbly legs, and moved to the front of the tiny cell. He peered out and was just able to make out other cells nearby. He coughed then stared at the unmoving occupants in the cells he could see. He caught a glimpse of blond... Nick. Nick was still, eyes shut and body curled up along one wall. Farthest away was another figure, obscured in shadow. Zanell? He started to step forward to get a better look when energy suddenly crackled through his body and threw him backward. A force field. He cried out in pain as he hit the back wall. He groaned and rubbed his head, listening to the echoes through the room.

Echoes? Slowly, he crawled forward and called out. “Is someone else conscious?”

“Conscious, yes. Able to sit up at the present time, no.”

“Alex? Are you okay?”

Alex coughed roughly. “Other than a splitting headache, nausea and feeling completely betrayed, I’m just fine.”

“I know how you feel,” Howie replied as he leaned up against the wall. “I couldn’t believe it. How could Brian-“

“Howie, if it’s all the same to you, I’d rather not hear that man’s name right now.”

Howie winced. “All right, Bone. I won’t say it. Can you get a better glimpse of Kevin? I can’t see him very well from my cell.”

“D, I don’t think I even want to move right now, much less look at what happened to him.”

Howie sighed, then tried to peer out, looking for Kevin. As he did, he noticed Nick was beginning to stir. Farther down, Zanell was doing the same. Yet from what he could hear, Kevin remained as still as ever.

~*~

He listened to the thrum of energy flowing through the room, could almost feel it as he charged up the chair that would be used for the interrogation, or torture as his master enjoyed putting it. He only hoped that his friends would sleep a little longer. It was getting late and he prayed he could at least wait until tomorrow. As his gaze traveled over the instrument panel, he saw that everything was in working order.

“It’s all ready?”

He nodded. “Yes, sir. All we need to do is wait for the prisoners to wake up.”

“When do you estimate their return to consciousness, Kael?”

Brian thought for a few moments. “Well, it might be possible that a few of them are conscious now. But I can’t be sure when they would all be awake. It could very well be tomorrow before they’re all conscious, sir. For the results you’re hoping for, it might be best to wait until all of them are awake.”

“I see.”

Brian glanced worriedly behind him at Zator. But Zator was looking at the chair. A sickening smile curved onto his face. Brian swallowed, disliking the look.

“Sir?”

Zator turned to him. “The marksman, what’s his name?”

Brian hesitated before he answered. “AJ.”

Zator nodded in acceptance. “He’ll go first.”

“Uh… yes sir.”

~*~

“I can’t believe it… Brian. Of all people, it had to be him.”

Howie watched Nick as he slid down the wall of his cell. Nick was trying to hide the tears, but they escaped and trickled down his cheeks.

“If this is a dream,” Nick continued, “I want to wake up.”

“I’m sorry, Nick,” Howie finally replied. “But this isn’t a dream. We’re all here.”

“Then Brian really was attacking a town full of innocent people,” Nick murmured.

“Kid, can we please not mention his name?” AJ inquired. “I really don’t want to hear it.”

“Well, what can we call him then?” Howie asked.

“What was that name he’d been given? Kael, that’s it. Considering he seems less human now that he’s captured us and attacked an entire town, like you said. I wonder if they’re still alive or if he was inhuman enough to—“

“Stop it!” Nick shouted. “He wouldn’t do that!”

Zanell spoke calmly. "Nick, considering that he's serving my father, there is a possibility of anything happening. However, I don't think it's in him to kill an entire town full of people, if any of them at all."

"Well, he certainly had it in him to beat up his own flesh and blood!" AJ snapped, pointing to the cell where Kevin lay frighteningly still.

“How does he look?” Nick murmured. Being in the cell adjoining Kevin’s, he was unable to see into the cell to check on his oldest brother.

“Not so good,” AJ replied as he looked into Kevin’s cell. “He’s still so pale and that bruise on his jaw stands out like a beacon.”

Nick whimpered and turned away. “Did you see what he did? He punched Kevin right in the gut. I couldn’t believe it. He’s never done that before.”

“Well,” Howie said, “we’ve always known he’s full of surprises.”

“Yeah,” AJ agreed, “but not the nasty kind like this! Oh, when I get my hands on him I’m gonna wring his neck!”

“AJ!” Nick shouted.

AJ rose and stepped closer to the force field. “There’s got to be a way out of here.”

“AJ,” Zanell said, “the only way you’ll get out is if they let you out. And I doubt that will happen until father wants to... to torture you."

Silence descended upon them all as they contemplated the possibility. Finally, Nick spoke.

"T-torture? You don't think... he'll be there? Kael?"

Zanell pressed her lips together. “Nick, to be honest with you, I think he will.”

“But how could he?” Nick demanded. “How can he stand there and watch his friends get hurt?”

“Nick,” Howie sighed, “don't forget about Kevin. Remember what happened?"

Nick looked away. He remembered all too well…

“Yeah. We had just docked with the ship. Br… Kael gave an order for us to be sedated, and Kevin leaped out of his seat and tried to protect us. Then they… and he just stood there with that grin on his face as Kevin tried to fight.”

“You saw it, too, huh?” AJ asked.

Nick nodded. “I’ll never forget it.”

“And he’s still out cold. I don’t think he’s moved yet.”

Silence descended on the group once more.

~*~

The blue glow of the chronometer said it was 01.00. Brian paced restlessly through his cabin, having been unable to sleep since ten o’clock that night. Once again, he looked toward his bed where all six amulets sat in a box. They had been hidden inside the box since their arrival on the ship.

Brian knew that he couldn't turn the amulets over to Zator. He knew of the destruction from what Zanell had told them all when they had first been chosen to guard the amulets. And yet, it was because of his lies that his friends were to be tortured for information the next day. He had to do something, but what could he do? By now the men he called his friends, his brothers, hated him.

I deserve it, he thought. I shouldn’t be forgiven for this.

Brian sighed and strode to the dresser. He picked up a hypospray intended to help him sleep. It would be the second time he’d used it, the first being the previous night, before the attack. Before he could freeze and chicken out, he pressed the spray into the crook of his elbow and felt the hiss as it injected the medicine into his body. Almost immediately Brian could feel the effects and he hurried to place the box back into his dresser and change into nightclothes. Finally unable to stand, he collapsed onto his bed, sleep overtaking him, dragging him down into a dreamless night of rest.