- Text Size +
Six

Nick sighed in aggravation. "Kevin, stop being so bullheaded!"

"I'm not being bullheaded," Kevin argued. "I just know the truth!"

"No, you don't," AJ cut in. "None of us knows the truth, and probably won't until Brian tells us."

"Do you see that happening some time in the near future?"

No one had an answer to Kevin's question, and silence descended again. All eyes turned towards the door when it suddenly opened a short while later.

Kevin rose, clenching his fists. "You," he growled.

Brian looked right back at him. "Me."

"Come back to finish your work?" Kevin snarled.

Brian paled a little. "No. And it wasn't my work to begin with."

"You serve Evil; that makes it your work. You can't pass the blame on anyone else," Kevin declared. "Your hand threw the switch. You allowed your soldiers to..." He stopped, memories choking his words.

"I know," Brian's voice was weak. "And I don't expect you, any of you, to forgive me for it."

“So what do you want?” Howie asked after a moment.

Brian took a deep breath. “I want you to trust me—“

“Trust you?” Kevin snapped. “Why should we trust you?”

Brian held up a hand. “Let me finish, Kevin. I want you to trust me long enough to get you off this ship and back to Earth.”

Kevin began to laugh. “And just what makes you think we’re going to trust you to do that?”

Brian glanced at Serafina. She removed the lid from the box and Brian reached in for one of the objects that lay inside. He held it up for all to see.

“Would this help?”

Nick rose to his feet and went to the cell opening. “My amulet?”

“Yes.”

“How did you get it?”

Brian’s color faded as he lowered his hand.

“Brian?”

“I… I’ve had them since the attack.”

Silence echoed through the room as Brian’s words sank in. AJ broke the silence.

“What?!” he shouted. “You’ve had them all along?”

“Yes,” Brian admitted as his voice faltered.

“You had our amulets and still tortured us?” Howie clarified.

“You snake!” Kevin snarled.

“I know as much as you do that turning the amulets over to Zator could mean the destruction of the entire universe,” Brian replied. “That’s why I kept them.”

“Father doesn’t know,” Serafina continued. “He thinks they’re hidden somewhere on Earth.”

“And as of right now, he thinks you all died during a second session of torture. He gave me permission to ‘dispose’ of your bodies and go search for the amulets on Earth.”

"So you're going to help us escape?" Zanell asked.

"Will you all trust me?"

"No," Kevin spat. "But any chance to get out of here, I'll take."

Knowing that was the best he would receive from Kevin, Brian nodded and took the box from Serafina. “Go let your sister out. You know the code.”

Serafina went to Zanell while Brian headed over to AJ’s cell. AJ watched Brian key in the code and glanced at the box in his other hand. When the cell opened, he stepped forward without hesitation, glad to be out of the confined space. When Brian handed him his amulet, AJ tried to keep the surprise from his face. Carefully he put it on and tucked it under his shirt.

Howie exited his own cell a moment later, and accepted his amulet in turn. He gave Brian a thoughtful glance, a small spark of hope coming to his brown eyes.

Meanwhile, Nick breathed a sigh of relief as he stepped into the main room. Somehow, the air seemed less oppressive there.

Brian turned to Kevin. He swallowed hard when the tall man wouldn't meet his gaze, and keyed the sequence in. He took a half step back, fully expecting Kevin to come out swinging, but his cousin simply brushed past him, jaw clenched. For a suspended moment, Kevin didn't make a move to take the offered amulet, but suddenly it was swiped from Brian's grasp. Not a word was spoken as Kevin donned it.

Silent, Kevin headed for the door. But he hadn't gotten more than three feet before he stumbled. Brian reached out to catch him when Kevin smacked his hand away.

"Don't touch me," he growled.

Brian stepped back in fear. When Kevin didn't reach out to hit him, he began to head for the door.

"Let's go."

Brian stepped outside the prison with the others directly behind him. Five feet outside the door he froze.

"What's wrong?" AJ looked past Brian's shoulder, hoping to see why he had stopped.

The soldier that had ridden with them on the ship was standing just a few feet away. His laser was pointed straight at Brian's chest.

"I told Zator not to give such a high position to a human," he spat. "But he wouldn't listen."

"How did you find out about this?"

"Don't be stupid," Damoth spat. "Do you think the prison room, of all places, wasn't full of hidden detectors? I saw every traitorous thing you did, heard every word."

"Let us go, Damoth," Brian said, knowing his options were limited.

Damoth laughed. "Zator will know who is truly loyal when I present you, and this pathetic collection of humans, to him. I shall enjoy watching your execution."

"I won't let you do this," Brian said, his eyes turning hard.

"You can't stop me, you never could," snarled Damoth as he pulled the trigger.

Brian shoved the others back, then dove to the left, but felt the burning sear of the laser bite into his flesh.

In an instant, five Amulets were activated and the group was transformed. While Zanell rushed to Brian's side, AJ grabbed the laser gun that had been knocked from Brian's grip. As he took aim at Damoth, Brian shouted out.

“No!”

AJ froze and stared at Brian in astonishment. “What?”

Brian rose, his shoulder now completely healed. “This is my fight AJ. Let me handle it.” He turned to Serafina and stepped closer. “Get them to the hanger and off the ship. Don’t come back for me.”

Serafina protested. "But Brian-"

"Don't argue with me, just go!"

Sera moved to protest again, then stopped as she realized how dangerous the situation was. She nodded and headed for the lift, calling to the others. As they ran to the lift, Damoth raised his laser and took aim.

"No!"

Brian ran toward them just as Damoth fired at Kevin. Brian shoved Kevin out of the way and felt the burn of the laser hit his shoulder again. Zanell started back for him.

"Go! Get out of here!"

"How dare you?" Damoth growled as Zanell reluctantly headed back to the lift. "You've turned both of Zator's daughters against him."

"Zanell was against him from the beginning," Brian grunted as he climbed to his feet.

"You'll pay for turning Serafina!"

Damoth raised his laser again. Brian drew his own laser that AJ had returned just before rushing to the elevator and fired.

~~~

Serafina glanced over her shoulder as the others followed her. She was stunned to see Kevin beginning to lag behind.

“Kevin, hurry!” she called. “We have to get out of here.”

Kevin glanced up at her and, without speaking, quickened his step. Brian had pushed him out of the line of fire and taken the hit himself. Why? After he had betrayed them all, tortured them, lied. And yet…

“Kevin!”

He’d slowed down again, considerably. He hurried to catch up to the others.

Nick caught the confusion in his eyes as Kevin approached. He felt the same way. Brian had betrayed them and became Kael, attacking a town full of innocent people, torturing his friends while keeping their amulets hidden. And now all of a sudden, Kael was gone and he was trying to help them escape, with the possibility that he had just sacrificed himself to let them get away.

“I can’t leave him!” he said suddenly. He turned around and began heading the other direction.

Kevin grabbed his arm. “He said not to come back for him.”

“I don’t care!” Nick argued. “My best friend is still in him somewhere, I’m sure of it. And I am not leaving my best friend behind.”

He tore out of Kevin’s grasp and ran back down the corridor to a lift that would take him to his friend. He burst inside the first one he came to.

“Destination.”

“Uh…” Nick thought quickly. “Prison.”

He saw Serafina running after him just as the door closed.

~~

Damoth yanked the traitor to his feet and threw him up against a wall. He grinned in satisfaction when Brian groaned in pain.

“You will pay for betraying the Emperor, human,” he snarled. “He was your master and you turned on him.”

He reached to his belt and withdrew a knife. Brian struggled to get away, but Damoth’s grip was firm and refused to let him go. He had seen the knife and could guess his plan. Damoth thrust his hand forward and drove the knife into Brian’s stomach. A choked cry passed his lips, then again as the knife was removed.

Damoth released him and he collapsed, moaning as he hit the floor. The wound in his shoulder was already burning, and now his stomach… He heard the laughter and raised his head in time to see Damoth turn and search for a communications console.

Brian struggled to raise himself up on his elbow. His vision began to cloud, but he had to find his gun. Zator couldn’t find out. His family might die. Through the cloud that filled his vision, he saw his laser just a few feet away. One hand clutching the wound on his stomach, he struggled to pull himself along.

“My Emperor,” he heard Damoth cackle, “I have news for you.”

No, you don’t. His hand closed around the handle of the laser gun. He leaned against the wall, fighting the blackness that threatened to take him into unconsciousness, and set the gun for its highest setting. He only hoped he wouldn’t miss. You won’t live to tell him!

He tried to aim for the very middle of Damoth’s back, over his heart, but his hand trembled as he raised it. He had to try. Brian pulled the trigger just as darkness enveloped him. As his hand fell, he heard a blood-curdling shriek. He’d hit his mark.

~~~

Zanell, Kevin, Howie and AJ hurried through the hanger door to find their ship. It was the last ship, closest to the bay doors. As they got closer, they saw the hatch was open with the platform down. They hurried up into the ship and ran to the cockpit. All except for Howie. He paused at the hatch and looked back at the hanger door as it closed.

“Howie, let’s move!” AJ called, coming back into view.

“AJ, what if we can stall so they can get here?”

“As much as I agree with that thought, we have to get out of here before the whole ship comes after us. Now get in a seat!”

Howie looked at his friend, and then glanced back at the hanger door. “Please hurry, guys,” he whispered.

“Howie!”

Reluctantly, he stepped away from the hatch, allowing it to close behind him. He paused before sitting down. He couldn’t help feeling that he was leaving his friends behind to die. But Nick was smarter than that. He knew to how to keep safe. Serafina was a mystery to him, having only seen her twice since their capture.

“Sit down, Howie,” Kevin said from the pilot seat. “We have to get out of here.”

Howie took the seat behind Kevin and buckled in. AJ sat at the weapons panel, ready in case they had any unwelcome visitors. Zanell sat beside Kevin in the copilot’s seat.

“Can you fly all right, Kevin?” she asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Kevin replied. “Don’t worry about me.”

As he took the controls, though, he felt a cough threatening to surface. From the feeling he was getting, it was going to be a bad one. He tried to swallow it back and started the engine. It came before he could control it and he doubled over coughing, clutching his chest.

“Kevin!”

He straightened when it was over. “I’m okay,” he muttered, and took the controls again. Easing the ship forward, he guided it to the bay doors.

~~

Nick burst through the lift door as soon as it opened, hoping he wasn’t too late. Brian had said not to come back for him, but he couldn’t leave his best friend behind. He knew Brian was still alive. He had to be. But the sight that met his eyes when he stepped off the lift nearly sent him to his knees. A pile of ash lay at the communication panel, most likely Damoth. But Brian… His friend lay wounded, bleeding badly, and unconscious just a few feet away against a wall. He rushed over and knelt beside Brian’s body.

“Brian? Brian, please tell me you’re alive!” Nick leaned in closer to check his breathing. At first he didn’t feel anything, and then a tiny puff of air brushed his ear. Brian was still breathing. Nick checked his pulse and found it terribly weak.

He heard the lift door open again and he whirled around, drawing his sword as he stood, ready to defend Brian from further harm. But it was Serafina that came through the door. Seeing Brian on the floor, she shrieked and rushed to his side.

Nick sheathed his sword and knelt beside her, explaining what he could figure out. “Damoth must have stabbed him in the stomach. He’s lost a lot of blood; we have to get him to a ship.”

“Where’s Damoth?”

Nick pointed to the ash pile. “I think that’s what’s left of him.”

Serafina’s eyes widened. “Did Brian do that?”

“I’m going to guess so.”

Sera removed her jacket. “We have to stop the bleeding!” She tore her jacket into strips and put them on Brian’s stomach wound. Nick dressed Brian’s shoulder and carefully lifted him into his arms.

“You lead the way, I’ll carry him.”

“All right, but we have to hurry before it’s too late for him.”

~~~

Sera and Nick burst into the hanger and climbed onto the nearest ship, a small shuttle big enough for two or three passengers. There was a space in the back as they climbed on large enough for Nick to set Brian down while Serafina sat at the controls.

“Is there a cushion or something I can put under his head?” Nick asked.

“Press one of those red buttons on the wall and a bed mattress should slide out.”

Serafina urged the ship forward as Nick pressed the button. Just as Sera had said, a bed mattress slid out from the wall and he carefully lifted Brian onto it.

“Hang on, Brian,” he pleaded. “Once we get to Earth, we’ll get you some help. Just hang in there!”

~~~

Kristin Richardson looked up from her sewing as she heard a strange humming noise coming from outside. She glanced over toward the kitchen where Leighanne was feeding Baylee. She heard it, too. They jumped up and headed for the back of the house. Reaching the back door, they gazed up to see the ship that Zanell and the others had boarded three days ago beginning to land. Leighanne gasped.

“Do they have Brian?” she wondered.

“I don’t know,” Kristin said. “We’ll just have to see.”

The hatch opened just as the ship landed. The platform slid down and the two women saw Howie exit, followed by AJ, Kevin and Zanell. But where were Brian and Nick? Kristin cried out as she realized that Kevin was leaning on AJ for support. He had been hurt.

“Kevin, what happened?” she cried as her husband approached. “Where are Brian and Nick?”

“Let us get inside first,” Kevin requested. “There’s a lot we have to tell you.”


When Howie's narration was finished, silence followed.

He looked over at Leighanne, alarmed to see her holding Baylee tightly, face drained of color. He could read confusion, worry and fright in her eyes. He wished he had answers, but he didn't, not really. Still, she needed some kind of reassurance. He moved over to sit beside her, touching her hand gently.

"Leighanne, I know what Brian did seems... well, beyond possible. But I know that deep down, he still loves and cares for you... for all of us. I saw that spark in his eyes, even if it was just for a moment. We have to take comfort in the fact that he tried to save us, that he sacrificed a lot to get us off Zator's ship."

"But... how could he have done those terrible things?" Leigh asked in a whisper. "That's not the Brian I married. That's not the father of our child."

Howie paused. "I don't know," he said at last. "Only he can answer that. Maybe he just... just lost his way for a while. Maybe Zator did something to mess with his mind when he was first kidnapped."

At the words, Kevin stood, crossed the room, and stared out the window. Behind him, Kristin bit her lip, sensing the turmoil within the man she loved.

Leighanne glanced up into chocolate brown eyes. "Howie, I don't know what to think right now. All I want is my Brian, back where he belongs. But I'm not sure that can happen."

"Do you love him?" Howie asked gently.

"Yes," Leigh declared. "Our vows said 'For better or worse', and I can't just throw it all away. What he's done is terrible, but..." She stopped, confused. "I need to talk to him."

The phone rang suddenly. Despite his injuries, Kevin beat his wife to the phone.

"Hello?” His eyes widened. “Nick! Are you all right? Is… Brian...?”

The others watched and waited as Kevin listened to the voice on the other end. The worry lifted as they saw Kevin close his eyes, a small smile crossing his face.

“Thank goodness.” He searched around and found a pen and paper and scribbled something. "Yeah, we'll be there."

A few moments later, he hung up and turned to the others.

"Brian's at the hospital," he explained. "Nick just told me he had to get a blood transfusion and he's stable now. But... it might not be enough. He might need more. You can heal him, can't you?" Kevin asked, looking at Zanell.

She looked uncomfortable. "The amulet can't heal everything," she said. "If the injuries are too severe, it might not be enough."

"If... if he got the blood he needs, could you heal him then?" Kevin asked slowly.

"It's possible," she replied. "I won't know until I see him." Her shoulders slumped, and Kevin noticed for the first time how tired she looked. Healing Nick and the others had obviously taken a toll on the Princess.

"Kevin, are you... thinking of donating?" AJ asked.

"Let's just get to the hospital," he answered evasively. Kevin moved towards the door and felt a familiar sensation. Although he willed the cough to stop, it came anyway. He doubled over in pain, grimacing as white-hot fire stabbed along his ribcage. Zanell was at Kevin's side almost instantly.

"Please, Kevin," she said, "let me heal you now. Every time you cough, you're hurting yourself more."

He gasped and forced himself to stand upright. "No," he said in a slightly shaky voice. "You need all your energy if you're going to heal Brian."

"But what about-"

"We can worry about me afterwards," he said stubbornly. "Now, we need to get to the hospital."

"I'll drive," Howie said at once.

"I'll drive the other car," AJ volunteered. "Let's roll."

~~~

Nick sat at his friend’s bedside and watched him battle for life. The one transfusion had done some good, but it wasn’t enough. There had to be more blood given or Brian might... He banished the thought from his mind immediately. The others were on their way, Kevin had said they'd come.

"How is he?"

Nick looked over his shoulder and saw Serafina step into the room.

"They said he's stable, for now."

"He looks so... pale," she said, moving close.

"They gave him a transfusion, but he's got a rare blood type and they are having trouble finding more."

“Oh!”

"They'll try giving him plasma, but it's not the same," Nick continued. He looked back down at his motionless brother. “Come on, Bri,” he pleaded. “You’ve gotta pull through.”

"So do you know anyone that has this same type of rare blood?" Sera asked after a bit.

Nick frowned. "Yeah, I do. But..."

"But what? It's Brian's life!"

"Kevin has the same type blood. But I don't know if... he did sound relieved to hear that Brian made it back to Earth, but after all he's been through..." Nick shivered. "Kev's pretty angry and upset."

"But if he's Brian's only chance..."

"That will be up to him, I guess."

Silence descended again as Serafina and Nick waited.

~~~

Kevin turned to Howie as they stepped through the doors of the hospital. “Nick told me that Brian’s registered as William Mackenzie.”

Howie chuckled. “Nick came up with that one? Points for creativity.”

“Oh, go get the room number!” Kevin pushed him forward to the desk.

Howie approached the desk where a nurse sat organizing files. “Excuse me, miss?”

Amber brown eyes glanced up at him. “Can I help you, sir?”

Howie cleared his throat, which was suddenly dry. “Yes, uh, could you tell me where William Mackenzie is located? He’s a friend of mine that was brought in here earlier.”

“Just a moment, let me check.”

Howie caught sight of her manicured nails as she typed ‘William Mackenzie’ into the computer. She wore pink nail polish with tiny purple stars on each nail.

“Here he is,” the nurse announced, “Room 228.”

"Thank you, miss."

"You're quite welcome, Mr. Dorough," the nurse replied as Howie turned to leave.

He turned back in surprise, but the nurse just smiled and continued organizing charts. Howie shook his head as he returned to the others. AJ had started laughing and Howie smacked him.

“Shut up.”

“What’s the room number?” Kevin asked.

“228.”

“Let’s go.”

They headed down the hall to an elevator that would take them up to Brian’s room. All seven managed to fit in the elevator and Howie pressed the button for the correct floor.

"I hope he's all right," Leighanne murmured as they stepped off.

"He's survived at least two near-death experiences before, Leigh,” AJ replied. “I'm sure he'll be all right."

The group approached the door and AJ held it open for Leigh and Baylee. Howie followed Zanell and Kristin through. Kevin took a step forward, then stopped. AJ regarded his oldest brother carefully.

"You up to this, Kev?" he asked.

Emerald eyes blinked several times. "I... I don't know," Kevin said. "I'm still... confused."

AJ sighed. "Well, it's your choice."

Kevin hesitated for a few heartbeats, then forced himself to move forward. AJ followed suit.

Leigh moved to Brian's side, not really paying much attention to the others already there. Nick and Serafina exchanged glances and turned to the rest of the group.

To the unasked question, Nick said, "He's stable, for now. He needs blood, they've given him all the hospital has." He swallowed hard. "It probably isn't enough. They gave him plasma, but..."

"But he needs whole blood," Howie finished.

"Yeah."

Nick scooted aside as Zanell stepped up to the bed to take a look at Brian.

After a minute or two, she shook her head. "There's too much damage," she said with regret. "I can't do anything right now." She looked up and sighed. "He's too weak. If he gains some strength, I might be able to help."

"How can he gain more strength?" Leighanne asked.

"I know one way," Kevin said in a low voice.

Zanell looked up and said, "You're injured, Kevin. It would be risky to-"

"No matter what he's done, I can't just let him die like this, not when I can do something about it." He glanced at the floor. "I owe it to Leigh and Baylee."

Howie and AJ exchanged glances, but kept silent. It was Howie who finally spoke.

"Family is important," he said, nodding.

Kevin's jaw clenched. "That's what I always thought," he said, his words tinged with hardness.

Kristin put a hand on his arm, and he looked into her eyes. Suddenly the tension left his shoulders and he tried to give her a smile.

"I want to do this," he declared.