- Text Size +
Fortunately, AJ dropped the subject long enough to get through the rest of the day. As I left rehearsal I knew I was headed for my second home— the beach. After a short ten minute drive I parked my truck. I slipped off my sneakers and socks before getting out. The cool sand seeped between my toes and molded under my heels. I rolled up my pant legs, starting toward the water. It was almost dusk, the temperature was quickly dropping. I sat down, stretching my legs so my feet were barely out of the ocean’s reach.
I watched the descending sun. It was so beautiful. It’s weak and fading rays glistened on the calm water. “God’s painting” I once heard it referred to as. I wondered if there was a God. I hope so. He’s the only one who could help me. A lone tear slid down my cheek. I didn’t bother to wipe it away. I took a deep breath. Someone sat down beside me. I kept my stare on the sunset.
“Nicky…” I could feel AJ’s gaze on me. “I’m really worried about you.” I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. “You can only have so many ‘accidents’. I know something’s up. Why can’t you just tell me?” I closed my eyes, damming my tears. “It’s Jenna, isn’t it? She’s doing this to you…” He was staring at me now, searching for the answer he already had. Hesitantly, I nodded. I felt his arm around me. I leaned into him, burying my face in his chest as I begun to sob uncontrollably. He tightened his grip around my shoulders.
“I don’t want to go home AJ…I don’t want to go home to her.” I cried. He hushed me soothingly.
“You don’t have to, Nicky. You can stay with me.”