- Text Size +
It was almost midnight by the time we left the beach. AJ insisted on driving me to his house in his mustang and coming back for my truck later. He said that me driving while I was so worked up made him nervous. I didn’t fight him. I now sat on the bed in his guestroom while he dug through the closet for some extra pillows.
“I really appreciate this.” I told him wiping the last of my tears from my face. I had finally stopped crying.
“Don’t even worry about it, Nicky. It’s no big deal.” Walking toward me he tossed a few more pillows on the bed then sat down next to me. “Nick, you have to break it off with her before this gets worse.” He stated suddenly becoming very serious. I shook my head.
“N-no, I can’t. She’ll get mad and…” I felt my throat tighten.
“And what? Hit you.” His eyes were stormy, his jaw clenched. Turning away from him I closed my eyes and swallowed.
“I’m sorry.” My voice hitched slightly.
“Nicky, I’m not mad at you. It’s her, how could she do this to you? It’s not right Nick and it needs to stop. It needs to stop now.” His tone grew with every word.
“I just can’t.” I said fearfully.
“Nicky, look at me.” He reached over, cupping my cheek in his hand, he made me face him. “Next time you could really get hurt. I don’t like seeing you like this. You’re not yourself…you’re not happy.” For a second my blue eyes met his brown. Neither of us broke the gaze. I don’t know why but I just couldn't look away. He blushed and quickly pulled his hand away. It took me a moment to register his action. He got to his feet and rubbed the back of his neck anxiously. “I’m pretty tired. I’m gonna get to bed.”
“Yeah, yeah. Me too.” He froze in the doorway and looked back at me.
“Good night, Nicky. See you in the morning."
“G’ night.” I laid down as he left the room. I slept light; thoughts of breaking up with Jenna plagued my mind.
I woke up when I heard the bedroom door open later that night. I kept my eyes closed. Someone sat down on the bed. I tried to steady my breathing.
“Nicky, I wish I could tell you the truth. If you only knew how much I really care about you. If things were just a little different…they could be so perfect. But, they’re not and they won’t be.” As he spoke he ran his fingers slowly through my hair. He shifted on the bed, brushed his lips gently against my forehead before he got up and left the room closing the door behind him. Then I realized something—I really didn’t want him to leave. I wanted him to stay with me.