- Text Size +
August 12, 2005

Journal-

Okay, I love my wife, I really do! But I am irritated with her right now. See, she has been making and trying to sell these purses that she designed. First of all, between you and me, they’re ugly. I hate to say it, but being rich does NOT, necessarily, mean you have good taste or sense of style! Naturally, I don’t tell her how ugly I think they are, but I haven’t told her they were pretty either. I feel, kind of bad, but it’s bugging me because her little website says something like ‘Help support Brian’ or ‘Show Brian how much you love him’ or something like that. She even makes a comment about how any Backstreet fan would love to have one. WHAT IS THAT?!?

Here, all this time, I thought that I was the one supporting this family…not her and her ugly little purses! I feel about an inch tall, right now. I work my butt of and she’s talking like she’s the one who supports us! THEN, on top of that, no…not every Backstreet fan is going to want or love to have one. Sure, some might…and some might buy them just because it’s my wife who makes them, but she was all upset because she isn’t getting the amount of orders that she wanted!

Like I said…I love my wife. She just drives me bonkers, sometimes.

On a better note, Baylee and I walked to the park today. He absolutely loves going down the big metal slide. He must have gone down it 30 times or more! I let him run around for a good hour and a half before we went to get slushies. His favorite is grape and he always makes a mess of himself. I, on the other hand, always get lemon or raspberry…sometimes I get cherry though.

Anyways, Baylee’s tongue was purple for the rest of the afternoon and he kept saying “daddy’s tongue blue!” Have I mentioned how much I love the little boy? I never knew it was even possible for love to run that deep, but the moment I laid eyes on him…he’s my little man.

Well, I guess that’s about it, for tonight. I hear Baylee coming down the hall, so ‘Good Night’.

-B.T.L.


I smiled to myself, as I finished reading the entry. Looking next to me, I saw that Morgan was, now, sound asleep and cuddling my pillow. I snickered and shook my head, as I pulled the covers up and over her. I set the journal on the night table and, quietly, left the room, turning out the light. I made my way down to her room and curled into the bed. It didn’t take me long, to drift off to sleep.

Morning came all too quickly, and it was back to school. Morgan and I agreed to skip the run, due to all the drama from the night before. School was pretty uneventful. Morgan and I went off campus for lunch and ate at a little deli a block from the school. Maricio’s always has pretty good food. Morgan likes their chicken cherry salad and I usually get a small caesar salad and a grilled chicken sandwich. The rest of the day dragged on and it seemed like weeks, before the last bell rang.

“So, about Kevin,” she broke the silence, as we made our walk back to my house. We were about half-way and had been pretty quiet. It wasn’t one of those weird silences…we were just too tired.

“Uuuuuh, I don’t even want to think about it,” I groaned, tilting my head to the side. “He is seriously stressing me out and I am too young to be this stressed!”

“Tell me about it! I can’t even imagine the stress that poor Mason is feeling!” Nick had insisted that Mason ride the bus because he was so young. He said that he trusted me and Morgan, but would rather not put the responsibility on us, of having to watch him on the walk home.

“I know. I remember the stress, I felt, when I lost my parents. Hopefully things will straighten out soon,” I sighed as we walked up the driveway. We made our way into the house and to the kitchen. I fixed us up a bowl of natural, lightly buttered popcorn and we headed into the living room to work on schoolwork.

“What shall we do first?” Morgan asked, as she popped open her can of soda and got situated on the couch. She sighed and took a long drink, from the can.

“Algebra? I didn’t get today’s lesson,” I rolled my eyes and flipped open my book. I sat on the floor and leaned, my back, against the couch. Morgan was pretty good at explaining things to me. If it weren’t for her, I would probably fail most of my classes. I try to pay attention, in school, but it seems so much easier when Morgan shows me.

“The quadratic equations?”

“Yeah…those,” I chuckled and let my head fall onto her knee. “I hate math.”

“Alright,” she got down onto the floor, next to me and flipped open her notebook. She began to write as she started on one of the problems. “Okay, a quadratic equation is an equation that involves second-degree polynomials. Um, like 7x squared minus 5x equals 0, would be a quadratic equation. Do you remember what a second degree polynomial is?”

“Isn’t that a polynomial that has one variable with an exponent to the second power?”

“Yeah but it can’t be any higher than the second power.”

“Right. Okay.”

“So then…” Alright, you see where this is headed…I get completely lost and Morgan ends up confusing herself. Now, we are both pulling out or curls. She kept saying that it made sense, but the more she tried to break it down, the more confusing it got. We fussed over this for almost two hours, before giving it up for our History assignment. Nick drove her home after dinner and I went to bed early. There had been no word from Kevin.

“Morning, Morgs,” I smiled, weakly, as I met her at the door. We weren’t going to be skipping the run today.

“Mornin’, Bay. How did you sleep?”

“Like a baby,” I chuckled as we began to power walk. Our day was pretty routine, nothing major happened. School sucked and homework sucked even more! As a matter of fact the next month was pretty uneventful. We were all worried about Kevin because we hadn’t heard from him, at all. No one knew where he was, but the house looked like he had packed for a trip.

“BAYLEE! BAYLEE!” Morgan came crashing, in, through the front door. It was, about, noon on a Saturday. “O my gosh Baylee! Turn on the TV…QUICK!”

“What’s going on?” I asked, as she ripped the remote from my hand. Her breathing hadn’t even begun to slow and she was rapidly pushing buttons on the remote. She finally got to the station she wanted, as it came off from commercial.

“Just wait,” Morgan instructed, as the person on TV rambled. “They said the story was coming up, after the break. It’ll be on in a second.”

“What, exactly, will be on?” I looked over at her, expecting an answer.

“Shhhhhh!” She waved her hand at me as she leaned forward, resting an elbow on her knee. She stared, intently, at the screen.

“In other news: former Backstreet Boy, Kevin Richardson, entered himself into rehab, about a month ago. Sources say, that his drug addiction had been present for many years, even as far back as 1995. Mr. Richardson released a short statement, earlier today, saying that his addiction has cost him a lot over the years and that he is, finally, realizing how badly he needs help. His treatment is, reportedly, progressing at a slow, but steady pace. Doctors, at the rehab facility, report that Richardson is making a true effort but complete rehabilitation will take a while. So, to Mr. Richardson, we all wish you the best. After the break we will discuss the story of a small girl…”

“O my God, Morgan! It worked! It really worked!” We both jumped around, with excitement.

“I guess you guys saw the news?” Nick chuckled, as he walked into the room.

“YES!” Morgan squealed, lunging into Nick’s arms, for a hug. I walked over and sandwiched her between me and Nick. All three of us looked up to see A.J. bounding through the door.

“Guess what I heard on the radio, as I drove home from the store!” he shouted, his eyes lit up like Christmas lights.

“Same thing I just watched on the local news?” Nick smirked.

“We should celebrate!” I smiled as we all basked in the joy, of the news.

“Guys, we should find out where he is. Don’t you think we should try to visit? Or send a card?” Morgan pointed out. Of course, we all nodded. Obviously, her plan had worked…she was, now, the leader of operation ‘Soberize Kevin’.

“Yes! Let’s call around,” Nick started towards his office, but was stopped by AJ.

“I think we should start with the place that I went to,” AJ lifted an eyebrow. That made sense. Kevin might go there because of how well they had treated AJ.

“Good idea. You call them,” Nick said, looking at AJ. “Baylee call Mason, he’s at Jeremy’s house, and tell him to come home. Morgan and I will start calling other rehab places. We’ll track him down and see if we can’t get in to visit.”

“Sounds good!” the three of us chimed, before picking up various phones and dialing numbers. I was so excited, that my hands were slightly shaking. Mason’s voice hit a pitch I had never heard before and was home within ten minutes. Finding out where Kevin was, was more difficult than any of us expected. Every place, we called, kept saying that they couldn’t release information as to whether or not a person was staying with them, in their facility.

“I’m exhausted,” Morgan collapsed on my bed. I did the same. We had, all, been on the phone all day and gotten nowhere. Mason was already sleeping and AJ was out, driving to each rehab facility, individually, trying to get information. Nick had headed into bed at the same time that Morgan, and I, headed into my room.

“Tell me about it,” I sighed.

“Okay, well, I ran my butt over here, around noon, and have been on the phone ever since,” she groaned.

“I didn’t mean for you to actually explain it, Morgan.”

“Then why did you tell me to tell you about it?”

“Smart aleck.”

“Good night Baylee. I’m crashing here,” she stated, heading toward my bedroom door.

“I, kind of, figured that you would stay here, tonight…it is late. Hey and thanks for all the help today, by the way, you know how much we appreciate it.”

“I know, but I was happy and more than willing…you know that.”

“Night, Morgy,” I smiled, before getting up to embrace her in a gentle hug.

“Night Bay.” With that, she was out the door and headed to her room. I crawled under my covers and, quickly, fell into a peaceful sleep. Kevin was on the road to recovery and hopefully we would have him back soon. Dreams swirled in my head, as I slept the best that I had in a long time. Things were, finally, looking up!