- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I, greatly, appreciate all of the feedback that everyone has been leaving! Thanks a bunch!
“Glad to see that you decided to come home,” Nick crossed his arms. He raised an eyebrow at me, as he cocked his head to the side.

“Yeah, sorry, we lost track of time.” I dropped my bag and looked at him, hopeful that he would just drop the subject. I mean, I was only 45 minutes after curfew. It wasn’t really that big of a deal.

“I’m aware.” The irritation was very evident, in his eyes and his voice.

“How did you know?”

“Morgan called. Maybe you should listen to her more often. You probably wouldn’t be looking at a week of grounding, if you had.”

“WHAT?!? I’m grounded? That’s not fair!” I scrunched my eyebrows, as my voice got louder. “It was only 45 minutes!”

“You had a curfew, Baylee, and you broke it. Broken rules lead to grounding.”

“You can’t be serious! I was studying! It’s not like I was out running the streets or something and, besides, Morgan called you. What’s your problem?”

“Now, see, if you would have called and told me that you were at Morgan’s studying, lost track of time, and were on your way home…maybe things would be a bit different. But, no, you blatantly disregarded that responsibility and thus, you are grounded.”

“This is ridiculous. Morgan called you!”

“That’s right Morgan called me, to tell me what happened, which is a good thing because I had already called AJ to help me go out and look for you.” Nick uncrossed his arms and walked up to me. His face softened, as he looked down at me. “I am still your guardian, Baylee. I allow you to walk everywhere because I trust you. I trust you to go where you say you’re going, do what you say you’re going to do, and be back when you’re expected to be back.”

“Whatever,” I sighed, pursing my lips, and looking away. Nick’s hand grabbed my chin, making me to face him, again.

“I’m not your father, I get that. But you have to understand that I put these rules down, because I care what happens to you. When you aren’t home on time, and you don’t call, that’s my cue to start wondering what the hell happened.”

“Nothing happened!” I screamed, backing away from him. I huffed, as I started climbing the stairs. How could he be like this? He’s been so cool, lately. Why is he going back to being a dick?

“Don’t walk away from me, when I’m talking to you.”

“I’m going to bed.” Slinging my bag, over my shoulder, I continued up the stairs. I sighed loudly. This was bull! I’m grounded? For a week? Over 45 minutes?

“Check the attitude, Baylee. You don’t want me to tack on another week.” I didn’t bother, to respond. I stepped through my bedroom door and slammed it, as hard as I could. Sure, I knew that I had just earned that extra week, of grounding, but I was mad.

“This sucks!” I shouted, collapsing on my bed. I stayed there, staring at the ceiling for a good 15 minutes, before I stood back to my feet. Flinging open my closet door, I walked in, to grab a duffel bag. Throwing a few sets, of clothes, into it, I began to grab the essentials from my room. I stuffed my books into my back pack and tossed it out my window. After zipping up the duffel bag, I gently tossed it out, too.

Looking around my room, my eyes settled on my dad’s journal. I snatched it, off the night table, and then I turned out my light. I shook my head and started climbing out of my window. Within a matter of moments, I had my bags, on my shoulders, and I was quickly walking down the driveway.

“What are you doing here?” Morgan opened her door, for me to come in. “Wait…why do you have bags with you? Are you staying over, tonight?”

“I was hoping that it would be okay, if I did stay. I don’t want to be at Nick’s.” I sighed, setting my duffel bag, on the floor.

“Hey mom?” Morgan looked at me funny, before turning towards the kitchen.

“Yes, dear?” I followed Morgan, to the kitchen, and saw her mom look up from the dishes.

“Bay wants to stay over. Is that okay?” Lisa looked at me closely, and then turned back to Morgan. They both knew something was up and it was a sure thing, that they would have me talking, in no time.

“As long as my, unofficial, son tells me why he’s coming so late. Is something wrong sweetheart? Sit…we still have some cookies left.” Lisa waved a hand, towards the breakfast bar. Morgan and I both sat down.

“Nick freaked out, on me, again,” I sighed heavily, as Lisa set a plate, of cookies, in front of me and Morgan.

“Because you were late?” Morgan asked, knowingly.

“Yeah. It was only 45 minutes! It’s not that big of a deal.” I furrowed my eyebrows and took a large bite, off a cookie.

“Late? For what, dear?”

“He missed curfew, tonight. We lost track of time, while we were studying.” Morgan explained the situation, for me. I rubbed my hands, over my face, before running them through my hair.

“Well did you call, to let him know that you were running late?” Lisa rested her elbows, on the counter.

“No.”

“I called Nick, after Bay left. I didn’t want Nick to be worried.”

“You should have called him, Baylee. I’m sure he wouldn’t have been so upset. Parents worry when their child isn’t home on time. There are so many creeps out there, nowadays.” Lisa’s voice was soft and gentle but it infuriated me.

“I’m not his kid! He isn’t my father!” I shook my head, narrowing my eyes. I slammed down half the glass of milk and let my other fist fall to the counter.

“That’s your problem, Baylee.” Morgan tilted her head to the side. She looked at me with warmth and kindness, in her eyes…but, I guess, I decided to ignore it.

“Oh, okay. So, little Miss Psychologist, tell me. What is my problem?” Okay, so I was being snippy….I was irritated. Morgan is supposed to be on my side, not Nick’s. “Since you know everything, and your life is sooooooo perfect, go ahead and tell me what my problem is.” Morgan looked at me, with wide eyes, before letting out a sarcastic laugh.

“Okay, Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell, I’ll tell you. Your problem is that you are an ungrateful, unappreciative, stuck up, selfish, li…ttle…brat! Neeeews flash Nick cares about you, he worries about you, he loves you…and aaaaaall you can do is whine and complain about it. ‘Oh, Nick yelled at me.’ ‘Oh, Nick grounded me.’ ‘Nick’s not being fair, he won’t let me get a tattoo.’ ‘Nick’s so mean.’ You got some hair across your butt, just, because he isn’t your real dad!”

“What?!?” I looked at her in…in…shock, surprise, amazement, disbelief…

“Oh yeah and, you know, I am really getting sick of it. Don’t you think my mom would yell at me if I missed curfew and didn’t call? Yeah, she would. Do you think she would let me get a tattoo? No…why? Because she loves me and does her best, to protect me. Okay…we might not like it sometimes, and I have gotten mad about it too, but if it weren’t for their dumb rules…who knows what would happen to us!”

“Morgan, hunny, that’s enough now.” Lisa interrupted, as she cleared our plates.

“No, it’s okay. I want to hear what my, so-called, best friend really thinks of me.” I crossed my arms and leaned back, waiting for her to continue. I was appalled at how she was lecturing me.

“I love you Baylee and you are the best friend that I have. But, it really frustrates me, because you don’t flip out like this, if AJ tells you ‘no’. There is no fight, if Howie says you can’t do something. It’s only Nick and he never did anything, to deserve it. I understand that you don’t like getting yelled at, neither do I, but I don’t pack up and leave when I get yelled at.”

“He didn’t just yell at me, I’ll have you know!” My defenses were up and my temper was at a breaking point. It’s one of those things, you know? …No no one likes it when their flaws are pointed out to them…no one enjoys it, when their actions are proven foolish. I felt like a moron. I felt like a scolded two year old that was only stood three foot tall. “He grounded me, for a week, too. When I objected, he made it two weeks.”

“You’re grounded?!?” Lisa and Morgan chimed in, with wide eyes.

“Yeah, I know, right? Over a measly 45 minutes. How lame?” I scoffed, at the thought, figuring they would understand, now. Boy, was I wrong!

“Let’s go!” Morgan stood up and grabbed my bag, off the floor. She opened the door, wide, and motioned for me to exit.

“Where are we going?” I asked, still very annoyed.

“I am walking you home and we are going to continue this conversation, on the way.” Morgan gave me a little shove, forcing me out the door. Conversation? It was more like, just, another lecture. My blood boiled, thinking about how everyone seemed to gang up on me. Wasn’t my best friend supposed to see things the same way, as me? I wanted her support, her comfort, her understanding, her…sympathy.