- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yikes...the longest chapter yet! A lot happens here...I hope you guys like it. Thanks for all the feedback you guys have been leaving!
The bus ride had been long, but loud, as we were all rowdy. When we got to the school, we all piled out, of the bus, and in, to the locker rooms. Changing into our away uniforms, all sixteen, of us guys, were hooting and hollering, to get hyped for the game. This was a big game, for us and we really wanted to win so, we could go to states. Before we knew it, it was time to line up, for our entry onto the court.

“Give it up, for our very own…the blue and white…the EAGLES!!!” The gym’s sound system boomed. I listened closely as the other team was introduced, one by one, by their cheerleaders. Our team got in line, outside the gym, as our cheerleaders stood in their formation, on the other side of the door. The other team finished introducing each of their players and the announcer came over the speaker, again.

“And now…our visiting team…the black and red…the WARRIORS!!!” I heard our cheerleaders erupt into high squeals, before starting their introductory cheers. One, by one, each player was introduced with a one line chant, as they ran out onto the court, making a lap before heading to our bench.

There were sixteen cheerleaders, to match our sixteen players. Each cheerleader is ‘assigned’ a player. Anytime the cheerleaders and players have to team up for anything in pep rallies or whatever, we are always in the same pairs. I already knew that I would be paired with Morgan, because she was replacing the girl who was paired with me before. As I stood at the back of our line, nothing could prepare me, for my introduction.

“Baylee might be last in line, but let me tell you girls…he’s FIIIIIINE!” Morgan ended her line with a toe touch jump, as I ran out onto the court. I was in a bit of shock, hearing such a thing come from my best…coming from Morgan, but I couldn’t pay attention to that, at least, not now. It was time to get focused.

It didn’t take me long, to spot my personal cheering section. Nick, AJ, Riley and Mason were all sitting directly behind our bench, with wide smiles. I couldn’t help the grin, spreading across my lips, as I saw they were all wearing black and red face paint, now, to match their Warriors attire. Riley and Mason even had homemade posters with my name and jersey number 16. They held up the posters, above their heads, and screamed, for me, as I jogged past them, for my lap around the court.

The game started and I think they were cheering louder than the actual cheerleaders…not that I minded, at all! Needless to say, I was on the starting line-up and played for most of the game. I wiped the sweat, from my brow, as our final time out was coming to an end. The coach gave us a final word, of encouragement, before we all put our hands in, together.

“Huh…huh…huh…GO WARRIORS!!” We grunted and screamed, before heading back onto the court. We were, now, down to the final moments, of the fourth quarter.

A glance, at the scoreboard, confirmed we only had 15 seconds left, in the game, and we were still down by two points. We had possession, of the ball, and started heading down the court. Dean had the ball, as we all jogged toward the hoop, weaving around our opponents. The seconds ticked, as he looked for an opening. I scurried around the guy guarding me, catching the pass, as I spun around. The guy was on me, like an unwanted pimple, in the middle of your forehead, on the night of the homecoming dance!

“…we’re here to dominate…we came to eliminate…we’re going to termi…”

“…8…7…6…”

“SHOOT IT BAY!!”

“TAKE THE SHOT!”

“…5…4…” The numerous sounds were coming from every angle, and they sounded like nothing but a jumble, to me. I could hear the cheerleaders, Nick, the home fans, our Varsity team, AJ, Mason…

“Come on Littrell!” Matt’s voice grabbed my attention, bringing it back to the game, and I knew I had to take the shot. I couldn’t wait any longer, I couldn’t get any closer…I had to take it now. Spinning around, to break away from my guarder, I lifted the ball above my head and snapped it into the air. As I felt the ball roll off my fingertips, the sound of the final buzzer, filled my ears. This was it…the game was over…everything was riding on this one shot. If it went in, it would tie the game and we would battle in overtime…no…wait…upon glancing, at the floor, I see I am outside of the three point line. That means…this shot…if it goes in…would win us the game and send us to the state championships.

The home crowd was on their feet. Our cheerleaders had stopped cheering and were frozen, in place, watching the ball. All of my teammates were frozen, too, their eyes glued to the ball, watching it fly through the air. The ball hits the backboard and gasps are heard from all around me, as everyone anticipates the ball’s path. Hitting the rim, it makes a circle, not falling off either way. I hold my breath. The ball makes another trip, around the rim. It slows and teeters. Watching it closely, I see it fall into the hoop! We’ve won!

I jump in the air, punching a fist upwards. My teammates rush me, Lucas grabbing me by the waist, keeping me in mid air. The cheerleaders rush onto the court, screaming and cheering. Our home crowd emptied the bleachers and joined us on the court. Nick, AJ, Riley and Mason were the first to vacate the bleachers and run our way. The noise level reached a peak, as everyone screamed, in victory.

As Lucas set me back, on my feet, I was almost plowed over by Morgan. I was more than shocked, to feel her arms around me, but I didn’t waste time in wrapping mine around her, tightly. I stood, holding onto her, and my personal cheering section surrounded us. Taking one arm away from Morgan, I let it slip around Nick, as he hugged me from the side.

“Awesome game Baylee!” AJ smiled, taking Nick’s place, at my side. Morgan let go and stepped back, looking at me with embarrassment.

“Um…nice shot…Baylee…” Before I could respond, she was back into the crowd. She probably didn’t even think about it, when she hugged me. It was, most likely, a force of habit. I didn’t have the chance to dwell on the subject because Mason attacked me, almost knocking me over.

Things began to settle down, as everyone stepped to the side, of the gym. Our team lined up, on one end of the court, as the Eagles lined up, on the opposite end. As usual, I was at the back, of the line, as we walked toward the other team. As we made our way, down the court, we slapped high fives with every player, and the couches, of the other team. Compliments, on the well played game, were given by both teams, as our lines passed each other.

“Come on Warriors…” Couch’s voice shouted, after we were done. “…back to the locker rooms!” I walked over and gave Nick, AJ, Riley, and Mason each one last hug, before following my teammates back to the locker room. All, of us, started shouting and slapping high fives, again, as we entered through the locker room door.

After taking our showers and changing, we gathered all of our things. I slung my duffel bag, over my shoulder, as we all headed out of the locker room. We met up, with the girls, in the hallway, as they exited their locker room. I knew it might not be the best move, but I walked up from behind Morgan. As I came up beside her, I slung my am over her shoulder, drawing her in, to me. Just as I figured, she tried to wiggle from my grip, but she knows, all too well, that I always win. So, after a few moments, she just let my arm stay where it was. We all walked out to the bus, still hyped up, from the game. Piling onto the bus, I took a glance at the Escalade that had re-claimed the spot right behind our bus.

As everyone settled, into their seats, I made my way, to the back, of the bus. I gave up my normal spot, and slipped into the seat next to Morgan. She looked at me with something in her eyes I was not used to seeing from her…at least, not directed towards me…she looked nervous. When I felt the bus begin to move, I started digging in my duffel bag, pulling out a small notebook and a pen. Flipping through the pages, I passed all the songs and poems that I’ve written, to a blank page. I drew in a breath and took a sideways glance, at Morgan, before I began to scribble.

”Are you gonna talk to me anytime soon?” I don’t know what is going on, in her head, but I can tell this wouldn’t be something she would openly want to talk about, with other listening ears so close. I hesitantly hand the pen and pad, to her. After reading it, she gives me a sad look and proceeds to write. She hands the notebook, back, to me.

”I wasn’t planning on it. Sorry, Baylee.”

“Why not?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“If it’s about the test they gave you and you skipping grades…I already know.”
I was already feeling the agitation rise in my stomach. Why did she always have to be so darn stubborn? I drop the pad, on her lap, satisfied with my comment. Her jaw drops and she looks up at me, tears in her eyes.

“How?” Her voice is barely audible, as she struggles to keep her eyes locked, with mine. I can tell she’s about to crack. She wants to tell me…she’s dieing to…I just know it. Any moment, now, and she’ll be scribbling, on that paper, like there’s no tomorrow. I take the pen, reaching over to write on the pad that still sits on her lap.

”Ali.”

”Are you seeing her, now?”

“Sort of, but I will talk to you about that AFTER we fix our friendship.”
I am still reaching over her, writing on the notebook that hasn’t left her lap. I look up at her, with pleading, in my eyes. I miss her. I miss our runs…our homework sessions…our slurpies…our talks…everything.

”We’ll talk later.” Releasing a sigh, I shake my head. That wasn’t the answer I was looking for, but at least, she was willing to talk. Hopefully it would be soon. I, honestly, don’t know how much more, of this, I can handle.

“Tonight.” I state firmly, staring her in the eyes. It wasn’t a question and it wasn’t negotiable. I was going to stand firm, on this. We have already waited too long, to have this talk.

“Tonight.” She repeated, softly, nodding her head. Sitting back, in my seat, I lean my head over and let it rest on her shoulder for a moment. Sitting back up, I make myself comfortable for, the rest of, the ride. I must have dozed off, because I re-opened my eyes, to find us pulling into the school’s parking lot. Everyone lazily climbed off the bus and headed to the awaiting cars.

“You ready to head home, Bay?” AJ asked, stepping out, of the Escalade. I was about to climb in, when I saw Morgan slowly walking towards me. Poking my head into the truck I asked Nick if I could walk Morgan home, so we could talk. Nick smiled and easily agreed. I watched them pull out, each of them waving at me. I waved back, smiling. Morgan and I started walking home, in silence.

“So…” After almost 10 minutes, I couldn’t stand the silence anymore. “Talk to me.” We had stopped walking, and were standing by the elementary school’s playground. I shoved my hands into my pockets and turned to look, at her.

“Baylee…I…”

“What? Decided that you’re too smart to hang out with a dumb jock, now? Finally get fed up of me? You seem to talk, to Sean, just fine!” I couldn’t stop the anger and frustration from rising, in my voice. There was a lot of pent up confusion, inside of me, and I couldn’t swallow it down any more.

“NO! That’s not it at all!” Morgan’s face reflected shock, as if the suggestion was absurd, but in my mind, it seemed like the only reason she would cut off our friendship.

“Then what is it Morgan? You kind of just kicked me, to the curb, and left me, in the dark! Hell…I’m the only one, in the school, that didn’t know Morgan!” My voice rose, as my hands flew up, into the air. I didn’t really mean, to yell, but I couldn’t seem to control it.

“Have you thought about it, Baylee? Huh? Everything is going to change! Don’t you get that? I’m…going…to be…a…SENIOR!!!” I flinched, as her voice screamed back, at me.

“What does that have to do with anything, Morgan?” I consciously made an effort, to even out my voice and calm myself. We’ve never fought and I didn’t like the idea, of starting now.

“Hmm…let’s think about it, for a minute!” She began to pace, her hands cutting through the air. Her voice was harsh, as she continued her explanation. “How about not having classes together anymore? Do you realize we won’t even have the same senior prom? We won’t take the senior trip, to Paris, together! No more homework study sessions. We won’t be working on projects anymore, Baylee. I’ll be headed off, to college, before you and Sean are even close, to graduating! You think you get teased NOW for being friends with the ‘smart girl’ you just wait, until I skip a few grades. THEN see how much crap you get!” She came to a sudden stop, staring at me. Her eyes bore into me, like never before. The street light, behind me, cast light onto her face and I could see tears glistening in her eyes.

“Morgan…you know I don’t care what everyone else thinks! Besides…can’t you just…say ‘no’?” I tilted my head, stepping close to her. Reaching out, I grabbed one of her hands.

“It’s not that easy, Baylee.” Her voice was now soft and gentle, instead of harsh and loud. “Do you have any idea…how happy mom was? She’s…” Tugging her hand away, she turned around, her back facing me. “She’s so proud, Baylee. When she got home, that day, she called everyone, to tell them how happy and proud of me she was. I…I can’t just…I’m all she has…you know that.”

“What do you want, Morgs? Do you want to skip ahead?” I came up to her and slipped my arms around her, resting my chin on her shoulder.

“Of course not!” Letting out a deep sigh, she hung her head. I didn’t realize what a struggle this was, for her. How could anyone have known what she was going through? Here I was thinking that her reasons were selfish and cruel…when really, she just didn’t want to let her mom down.

“Tell her,” I stepped back, turning her to face me. “She loves you, Morgs, she’ll understand.”

“I can’t break her heart! I just…I can’t do it.” Shaking her head, a few stray tears slipped down her cheeks. Bringing my hands up, to her face, I let my thumbs wipe away the tears.

“Not skipping the grades doesn’t change the fact that you’re smart enough to do it, Morgan. You’re always going to be freakishly smart…not even that new skimpy tight cheerleading uniform can change that!” I gave her a lopsided grin. She tried to fight it, but lost the battle, and began to laugh.

“I’m not freakishly smart! You’re just a dumb jock!” She shoved my shoulder, and wiped her eyes. “How do you always win, Baylee?” She turned semi-serious, looking back into my eyes.

“This time…it’s because I don’t think you really wanted to cut off our friendship.”

“Well…I…I didn’t…not really. I just…I thought you…that you wouldn’t…”

“Don’t even try telling me that you thought I would cut it off, when I found out. If you thought that…then you must have cheated on that test they gave you!” Honestly…could she have really thought that? After all these years…

“Well…” I watched her bite her lip and cast her gaze to the ground. Nice. She did think that. I chuckled, sarcastically, and pulled her into a hug. Her arms came around me and hugged me back.

“I’m not leaving, Morgan. You’re still my best friend and you always will be, no matter if you skip ahead, or not. I still think you should talk, to mom, if you don’t want to do this grade skipping thing. But, either way, I’m going to be here for you, just like always.” We started walking, toward her apartment, again. Along the way, I made effort to bring us back, to where we were before all this happened.

“STOP!” Her squeal pierced the night air, as I poked her in the ribs. “You are such a dumb jock!”

“Yeah…but I’m your dumb jock!” I smiled widely, but inside I was a bit nervous. Would she react the way she always used to, or were things, really, going to be different, now? Her reply would tell me, if things were okay again.

“Yeah…I guess I’ll always be stuck with your dumb butt!” My nervousness disappeared and turned into a huge smile. That was, exactly, the kind of response I had hoped for.

After walking Morgan, to her door, I headed home, myself. Nick had left the front light, and stairway light, on, for me. I climbed the stairs and headed into my room. Nick had set my duffel bag in the middle of the floor and I just kicked it to the side, as I stripped off my shirt. Lazily throwing my jeans, to the side, I crawl into bed. At least something was normal, again. This was one less thing, for me, to worry about. The sheets felt so good, as I curled up and quickly fell asleep, with a smile on my face.